Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Possible new toy Onan 7.5 JB

this thread has 288 replies and has been viewed 9593 times

Old 02-25-2017, 10:26:48 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Possible new toy Onan 7.5 JB

Wow, what a find for 100 bucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGarage View Post
Ed, you did real good... only addition I would do might be to disconnect the magnaciter until you know that the engine is 100% solid and then fuse the ac leads that would prevent the magnaciter from turning into a magnasmoker ask me how I know.. if you need a hand let me know.

Bob
Some guidance on what amp fuses and where to put them would be fantastic!
The Following User Says Thank You to TLB01 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2017, 11:45:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,432 Posts

Ed that is a Beauty NO WAY would I paint over that vintage onan paint give it a good cleaning and it will look like a Diamond do the major checks on it tune up and all the goodies you know the drill why tear it all apart if it does not need it so glad you got it
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 03:33:05 PM
Registered-II

Ditto! Just a question for you JB owners. If I ever get one I like Leon's installation and or others similar. Isn't the JB a bit too large and heavy for cart applications? Wouldn't a semi-permanent install be the most desired way to go?
Old 02-25-2017, 03:37:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Cowan View Post
Ditto! Just a question for you JB owners. If I ever get one I like Leon's installation and or others similar. Isn't the JB a bit too large and heavy for cart applications? Wouldn't a semi-permanent install be the most desired way to go?
I have my enclosed JB on pneumatic casters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 03:48:18 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,805 Times in 4,220 Posts

Tradeoffs. Nice thing I see about being in a garage is it may not get any condensation on it. If outside Cold soak during night, then condensation on it from warm moist air in AM , like dew on the lawn. We had a model A ford in a unheated cement floor 3 stall detached garage for ~60 years, no condensation/rust at all.

Here metal gets wet with condensation, especially for 2-3 weeks straight in spring when heavy metal is dripping wet with condensation.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:09:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,875 Times in 1,432 Posts

My Jb 7.5 is where it will remain I do not even have to move it from that spot in my garage and my garage is heated any more lowest temps this winter was 50 degrees in the garage so long as I can pay my gas bill I will keep my babies warm.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:34:16 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Depends on what local code has to say about what constitutes permanent. It might be why you see so many of these retired Onans made self contained and getting mounted on to trailers.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:51:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,396 Posts

Quote:
I had a 15.0JC on a cart. That was able to roll it on flat ground that was either concrete or asphalt. On grass or dirt I would need to tug it along with my SUV. The JC weighs about 350 lbs more than a JC. I'll let you know how easy it is to move my JB on a cart when I finish it in the year 2025.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 02-25-2017, 06:34:33 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,805 Times in 4,220 Posts

Need big tires to roll it. I got my JB temporarily on a boat trailer with 4.80-8 tires ( 15.5 inch OD) hard to roll on packed ground against very slight incline..
Old 02-25-2017, 11:50:02 PM
Subscriber

So- the flower show was great actually lots of hardscapes, not really many flowers, 1/2 ways to you JohnnyC, just over the bridge, 1st x on 287, Edison expo center. Lots of free food and wine,

JohnnyC- build sheet is on page 1, C1, combo carb F56-Air shutters H49-HATKO H1-LOPKO H13-oil base heater/120V only 1phase, will snap pick of plate, hope to play tomorrow. Did a little today, coil does not look like the ones i have seen (6V) it tested good, think it was around 11K, wires are off the wall super high resistance and 1 is tripple from the other. ?? Need to clean all the ignition components and proceed from there. Will snap pic of coil to see if it looks familiar, only has the 2 plug wires w/ no caps on them. no side terminal and its round and longer, not short and stubby like the 6V, there is a condenser hiding behind it, looks like toast.

Quickly checked under point cover, cond. looks fine, points pitted, and need to figure how centrifugal switch works, does not look like it closes at all, might need to re-gap, not familiar w/it.
The Following User Says Thank You to squidtrap For This Post: