Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

My 6.5NH Hates Me -or- It's Always Good To Have A Backup Genset

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 1454 times

Old 03-06-2017, 08:26:17 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,230 Times in 3,811 Posts
Default Re: My 6.5NH Hates Me -or- It's Always Good To Have A Backup Genset

Friend patched a steel gasoline tank on RV with car bondo 5+ years ago, still no leaks. And it was on bottom of tank, little rust spot. They also sell just the resin of bondo in pint cans, called "plastic honey".

Last edited by len k; 03-06-2017 at 08:48:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2017, 11:10:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by len k View Post
Not good enough test, test float it in gas.
Gas is only ~70% the density of water, so it may float in water even if float is full of gas.

An empty glass coke bottle floats in water, but sinks in 5 gal pail of gas.
Child hood spent playing with pails of gas from a car at dad's garage.
Len, should I dump a gallon of gas into the crapper?

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 03-06-2017, 11:47:57 PM
Registered-II

Johnny,

don't you have a aftermarket filter on after the fuel pump?
if so how is that black crap getting through there?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:43:26 AM
Registered-III

Johnny ......I'll let you have your fun. I tried to help. It has been a very bad week for me.

Last edited by len k; 03-07-2017 at 03:32:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 06:16:23 AM
Subscriber

Len- very interesting about the bottle, would have never given that a thought. It has always mystified me how a concrete ship floats??? (displacement is very puzzling)

JohnnyC- posted about repairing pump cause i know u want to keep them OEM. Like i said mine has been going strong for some time now. Ed.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:54:12 AM
Subscriber

Scoops, No, no filter after the pump and before the carburetor.

JohnnyC
New Jersey

Quote:
Johnny ......I'll let you have your fun. I tried to help. It has been a very bad week for me.

Len, I just read your p.m. My sincere condolences.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 01:11:01 PM
Registered-III

Johnny .... thank you. figured you didn't see my announcement thread in "off topic too" section of this site

Squidtrap..... the "boat" or float just has to weight less than the fluid it displaces ("pushes" out of the way).
That's why it makes a big difference if fluid is water, gasoline, or other. Fluid density counts!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8sHyexy4WY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckaJs_u2U_A

Last edited by len k; 03-07-2017 at 06:46:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 02:05:04 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,329 Posts

For those who do not know, here in NJ, all the gas stations are labeled as having at least 10% ethanol in the gas.

I have done 2 things that seem to have minimized the problem.

1. I buy only "top tier" gasolines. I think BMW is one of the manufacturers who recommend using only top tier. I used to buy name brand, but not top tier. It would deteriorate and smell like varnish in about 3 months, sometimes have a little water in bottom of container. Smells terrible when running lawn mower or snow blower with it.

Since changing , I have never found water in the bottom of gas containers, and have been able to store fuel in tight gasoline containers for over 1 year and use it. It still looks clear and smells like fresh gasoline, not varnish.

2. Years ago, someone on Smokstak recommended draining all the gasoline you can, putting ATF in the tank, and running until engine stalled out. I do this with all my equipment. Since doing this, have had NO carb problems. Before doing that, despite meticulously draining all the fuel, including removing the bowl drain, used to have to clean Honda carburetors at the start of every season, and whenever the engine had not been used for a couple of months.

I also install a small inline clear plastic fuel filter as close to the carburetor as is safe. I like the clear plastic because I can see if any crud has found it's way into the system.

E10 seems to be a solvent for varnishes and gasoline residues. A few days after I fill the tank on equipment that has not been run on E10, I find tiny brown or yellowish flakes getting into the filter. When I empty the tank, I find the gasoline is full of floating bits, and the inside of the tank is shiny.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:12:18 PM
Registered-III

On my JB the PO "pickled" it by putting ATF in cylinders and down carb intake. When I removed carb bowel I found ~ pure ATF and a great deal of water ( ~ 1/4 bowel maybe), water was pink white from the oil. Was no damage to insides of carb, I don't think there was much coating either. Believe I just washed it with gas and blew it out. I believe the water had sat there 2-3 years.

May have to at least drain the bowl before starting, pure ATF might be too thick to flow thru the jets.

Last edited by len k; 03-07-2017 at 05:42:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:39:08 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
On my JB the PO "pickled" it by putting ATF in cylinders and down carb intake. When I removed carb bowel I found ~ pure ATF and a great deal of water ( ~ 1/4 bowel maybe), water was pink white from the oil. Was no damage to insides of carb, I don't think there was much coating either. Believe I just washed it with gas and blew it out. I believe the water had sat there 2-3 years.

May have to at least drain the bowl before starting, pure ATF might be too thick to flow thru the jets.

I drain what I can and use it in next engine. ATF mixes well with gasoline. Get a little smoke at startup, but gone in under a minute.
I never put it down throat or into cylinders. For longer storage, I pull plugs and put a little of same oil I use in crankcase in cylinders. Roll engine over with plugs out a few times to distribute oil and blow out any excess, put plugs back and try to position crank so valves are closed.
Now that smokes quite a bit on startup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 03-08-2017, 07:08:44 PM
Subscriber

I have limited time this evening because of a dinner reservation, but after work I spent 5 minutes and I flushed out the steel gas line that leads from the fuel pump to the carburetor using a can of pressurized carburetor cleaner on one end and a paper towel on the other end to catch anything that is flushed. Sure enough, a large piece of rubber from the fuel pump came out. without a doubt, all the black crap found inside the carburetor from the previous cleanout as well as the most recent cleanout is the deteriorated black rubber thingie on the end of the pump's plunger shown in my previous pictures. I know you all knew this already, but I have to be 10000000000% sure before I convince myself and that was just done.

I will reassemble the carburetor maybe tomorrow after work or this weekend and order a new pump soon.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 03-09-2017, 10:39:38 PM
Registered-III

Angry Re: My 6.5NH Hates Me -or- It's Always Good To Have A Backup Genset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
I have limited time this evening because of a dinner reservation, but after work I spent 5 minutes and I flushed out the steel gas line that leads from the fuel pump to the carburetor using a can of pressurized carburetor cleaner on one end and a paper towel on the other end to catch anything that is flushed. Sure enough, a large piece of rubber from the fuel pump came out. without a doubt, all the black crap found inside the carburetor from the previous cleanout as well as the most recent cleanout is the deteriorated black rubber thingie on the end of the pump's plunger shown in my previous pictures. I know you all knew this already, but I have to be 10000000000% sure before I convince myself and that was just done.

I will reassemble the carburetor maybe tomorrow after work or this weekend and order a new pump soon.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Johnny, you are going to wear out your carb from taking it apart so much
Can you put a small inline filter just before carb? Saves a lot of headaches.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 11:30:32 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
Johnny, you are going to wear out your carb from taking it apart so much
Can you put a small inline filter just before carb? Saves a lot of headaches.
Wearing out the carburetor? It is wearing me out .
I thought about an inline filter between the pump and carburetor, but it took 33-ish years for the pump to go bad. If a new pump lasts 33 years or more, I am ok about rebuilding the carburetor again if I can get out of my wheelchair at 90+ years old.

BTW - I got the carburetor 98% together this evening. I just need to install the choke assembly, but ran out of time. I had to get ready for tomorrow's snow storm. Yes, snow again up to 6 inches although we had a beautiful day with temps in the low 60's F.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 03-10-2017, 04:10:27 PM
Registered-III

Johnny .....sorry I went off on you, just was a rough time.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:19:04 PM
Subscriber

It has been awhile since I posted an update. To recap, my 6.5NH's fuel pump puked up it's internal rubber parts that got lodged inside the motor's Nikki carburetor. I rebuilt the carburetor twice. After the first rebuild I was not sure where the black flakes that I found in the float bowl came from. These black flakes plugged up the carburetor's internal passages too. When the second occurrence happened, the fuel pump totally failed and when I ripped apart the fuel pump I was 100% positive where the black flakes came from.

Last week I rebuilt the carburetor (second time), but I did not have a chance to test the rebuild because of a snow storm and my work schedule that was affected by the snow, extreme cold and I only ordered a new replacement fuel pump yesterday.

Today, I had several hours to spare so decided to gravity feed gasoline into the newly rebuilt carburetor to test it for leaks and performance at no load through near full load for extended periods of time (1.5 hours). The tests were 100% successful. The 6.5NH ran perfectly at no load and purred at a sustained load of 4,700 watts which is 72% of full load. When the new fuel pump arrives it will only take 5 minutes to install and several minutes to test. Hopefully the new pump will last another 37 years.

Since we all like pictures I attached several below with explanations here.

Picture #1) This picture shows the overall setup for today's test. The yellow thing at the top right is the former Chumpion's gas tank and is gravity feeding the 6.5NH with gasoline. The green box to the lower left is the JohnnyC's kilowatt box and 4 heaters in the upper left.

Picture #2) A close up of the 6.5NH. The toggle switch on the side of the control box allows the use of OEM Onan electronic ignition when the switch is downwards and points when flipped upwards - dual redundant ignitions systems.

Picture #3) A close up of the carburetor that I had to rebuild twice due to the rubber parts puked up from the fuel pump. I adjusted the main and idle screws to the manual specs and it ran perfectly without any further adjustments.

Picture #4) This is a close up of the JohnnyC kilowatt box showing the load that I ran for well over an hour. This is 72% of full rated capacity. The 6.5NH ran flawlessly as I expected nothing less.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	277960   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	277961   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	277962   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	277963  

Last edited by JohnnyC; 03-19-2017 at 08:45:13 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post: