Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Toys that are no longer 'fun' (according to the PC Police)

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 1913 times

Old 12-13-2018, 12:53:09 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Toys that are no longer 'fun' (according to the PC Police)

Bring back the good old 'sling shot'. They were so much fun and was good for any annoying neighbour.

Sounds like Onan maybe Elmer Fud in disguise using the toys to 'hunt wabbits'. I like it a lot.

Could not play 'Cowboys and Indians when I was growing up in Sydney. There was no Indians to shoot at! Not the case now apparently.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2018, 02:45:15 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,023 Times in 303 Posts

Scotty,
I don't think that pallet gun is not as old as you you think. Trev may remember, but I think the 'Kiwi Made' logo only cane out in the late 1980's. Our kids were young then But I still don't remember that toy. Our kids didn't have them.

Merv.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:00:12 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,796 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv C View Post
Scotty,
I don't think that pallet gun is not as old as you you think. Trev may remember, but I think the 'Kiwi Made' logo only cane out in the late 1980's.
Merv.
Hello Merv.
Even in the late 80's these guns would have been a no no wouldn't they?
I did find a history of the Kiwi made logo and the logo used on the gun does not seem to appear. Maybe this logo was before the trademark ones?
https://buynz.org.nz/Trademark-History/7321/

I did have a bit of a look at the history of Lincoln International and in 1983-4 they were merged with SCOTT GROUP LTD AND P.C.HENDERSON NZ LTD.

Here is a Batman gun marketed by Lincoln with the Kiwi mark said to be from 1966. it has the Kiwi mark and blister packed.
http://www.danefield.com/data/displa..._display_media
I also found where Lincoln moved production to Taiwan in the mid 60's and incorporated the Made in Taiwan into packaging.
http://toysnz.com/LincolnToysOfNewZealand

The plot thickens

Cheers Scott
Old 12-13-2018, 04:00:11 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,023 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 2 View Post
Hello Merv.
Even in the late 80's these guns would have been a no no wouldn't they?
I did find a history of the Kiwi made logo and the logo used on the gun does not seem to appear. Maybe this logo was before the trademark ones?
https://buynz.org.nz/Trademark-History/7321/

I did have a bit of a look at the history of Lincoln International and in 1983-4 they were merged with SCOTT GROUP LTD AND P.C.HENDERSON NZ LTD.

Here is a Batman gun marketed by Lincoln with the Kiwi mark said to be from 1966. it has the Kiwi mark and blister pack

The plot thickens

Cheers Scott
Interesting information there.
I can't offer any more info. I did have the feeling that only the stylized Kiwi was trademarked but I could be wrong on that. Back then I was involved in a national organization that also used a similar stylized Kiwi on its letterhead that turned out to be in breach of the trademark but a slight alteration to the kiwi made it OK. I think they still use it.

The gun probably was OK back then. Only a few years ago one of my grandchildren had a machine gun that fired sponge plastic bullets he had a lot of fun with that.

Merv.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:09:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,006 Times in 661 Posts

"PC Police" ??? Don't you mean "Lawyers"?

After someone told my parents that lead was bad for kids, they took away my toy soldier lead casting kit, and bought me a pot-metal casting kit.. Not lead, but maybe 8-year-olds shouldn't be melting metal in the kitchen And then our lite-brite melted because someone put a 200W bulb in it.. Pretty sure that's why my Sister's easy-bake oven caught fire..

But I guess you're right.. When we were kids and hurt ourselves with dangerous toys, parents would just say "be more careful next time"..

But we weren't.. We used to take turns riding the rocking horse down the staircase

And then we became teenagers... ANYTHING can be dangerous, just takes a bit of ingenuity..
The Following User Says Thank You to gnucklehead For This Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 05:22:44 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Since smoking is such a No-No, I guess a squirt cigarette would probably not be, pc.....
Or even stink loads ...
In the 1970's we could buy little explosive pellets made to be stuffed into the end of a cigarette, they were good for a nasty surprise

Most of the stuff I recall from the Joke Shop seemed fairly harmless, stink bombs, ten cent coin with nail so you could fix it to the floor etc....

In the 1960's we were given shanghai's by an Uncle which were truly lethal. They had a cast aluminium handle with proper moulded rubber sling. Unfortunately, the rubber didn't last very long before it broke, so it was back to inner tubes and the like.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:31:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,925 Times in 2,319 Posts

[QUOTE=Peter Short;1537220]In the 1970's we could buy little explosive pellets made to be stuffed into the end of a cigarette, they were good for a nasty surprise

We used to take a buddy's cig out of the pack remove about 1/4" of tobacco then put some magnesium powder in. Just a touch, then carefully tamp the tobacco back in.

Sit around for a while anticipating the flash in about 15 seconds. Oh dang, he didn't get the loaded one. Eventually he would and we got great laughs out of that trick. Sadistic bastards we were.

Had it pulled on me a couple times but wised up and inspected the end of the cigs whenever I was with those guys.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:46:16 PM
Registered-I

I rather think the current nerf guns kids have are more interesting/powerful than the old BBs, even if you can't actually do any harm with them...

I wonder how much of the "why did the nanny state get rid of these dangerous toys we had as kids?" crowd also think that kids these days are all little shits with no sense of responsibility who would wreak havoc with said toys
Old 12-14-2018, 06:41:54 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,796 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNumbat View Post
I rather think the current nerf guns kids have are more interesting/powerful than the old BBs, even if you can't actually do any harm with them...

I wonder how much of the "why did the nanny state get rid of these dangerous toys we had as kids?" crowd also think that kids these days are all little shits with no sense of responsibility who would wreak havoc with said toys
I had a look at some of the nerf guns and they would be great fun alright. I think their saving grace is that they don't look like guns that fire bullets otherwise the fun police would have them banned.
If anything, I reckon playing with these sorts of toys give a sense of responsibility. The first one would be picking up after yourself. If you don't then there's no ammo to fire.
The best thing is kids are running around with Nerf guns. No screens involved.
Kids are born to play. Let them run, skip, fall, get scars and the rest. It's a learning curve. You don't know what you can't do until you fail trying.

Cheers Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 09:09:28 AM
Registered-I

I agree Scotty! As a kid who spent too much time in front of a screen as a teenager, I'm very careful with what I let my kids spend time doing! Plenty of time helping grandparents on the farm, kicking the footy, looking for wildlife as well as playing some parent-approved video games or watching ABC for some quiet time! It's horrible to see parents the same age as me just letting their kids waste away in front of a screen for hours just because it keeps them shut up. Even more so for the parents who just let their kids have unsupervised and unrestricted internet access, there's all sorts of terrible stuff they shouldn't have free reign to be accessing! (I'd know, I was doing some of that myself 15 years ago...)