Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

LONDON Engines built by London Gas Power & Co., Ltd.

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 6130 times

Old 08-04-2010, 08:11:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,348 Times in 1,535 Posts
Default LONDON Engines built by London Gas Power & Co., Ltd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Goss View Post
Denis,
London Gas Power & Co. 8hp.

Have you researched the history of London Gas Power, London Concrete Machinery, Scott Machine Company, etc.? That might be a good one for another thread?
I do not have an awful lot about these LONDON based companies but I can tell you that the Scott Machine Company Ltd., London, Ontario were into building gasoline engines sometimes prior to 1908. Also, effective August 1, 1910 the Scott Machine Company Ltd. changed its name to The LONDON Gas Power Company Limited.

Any additional info will me most welcomed here!

Denis Rouleau
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Denis Rouleau For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2010, 09:32:30 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: LONDON Engines built by London Gas Power & Co., Ltd.

I have a upright London engine, and I believe it is a London Gas Power Co. Ltd. engine. No tag but the word London is cast in a arch into the water hopper, as well as on the sump covers. This engine has a cavity cast into the water hopper to accommodate the cylinder oiler same as the Goss engine The serial #392 and hp 2 1/2 is stamped on the water hopper.
My camera is on the fritz as soon I get it back I will forward some pictures.

The first attachment is the repro tag off the Goss engine. The second picture is a scan from the London Concrete Machinery catalog of 1912-1913, it shows the upright on a batch mixer.

........... Owen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	84376   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2293 (Medium).JPG
Views:	212
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	84377  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Owen Bosma For This Post:
Old 08-05-2010, 04:56:51 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Bosma View Post
I have a upright London engine, and I believe it is a London Gas Power Co. Ltd. engine. No tag but the word London is cast in a arch into the water hopper........... Owen
The story surrounding the LONDON engines is fairly simple but for some reason, the more the story is told, the more the story changes and the end result is..........more confusion!

I do not have all the facts yet and I'm not the best story teller but I'll have a go at it!

To avoid further confusion we have to know that there are 2 distinct companies, doing business in the same time period and in the same city, namely LONDON, Ontario.

In 1906 or 1907 The Scott Machine Company Ltd began manufacturing their "LONDON" engines in London, Ontario.

Also in 1906 another London, Ontario company was created to manufacture machinery and tools to assist cement and concrete workers with their hard manual work. This other company, completely independent from the Scott Machine Co. was called the "London Concrete Machinery Co. Ltd" and were eventually claiming to be the World's Largest Manufacturers of Concrete machinery and cement working tools.

May I add that The London Concrete Machinery Co. never built any engines. Instead, they bought the engines needed on the machines they built, from various engine builders, prices being one consideration and configuration between their machine and the engine being another.

To add to the confusion, The London Concrete Machinery Co. often called their machinery "LONDON", likewise The Scott Machine Co. called the engines they built the "LONDON".

Early on the London Concrete Machinery Co. machines were sold with Scott Machine engines as a unit and everything was fine as the machine was a LONDON and the engine was a LONDON.

There must have been divergences later on as after a few years, London Concrete Machinery Co., machines were found coupled with Gilson, Bull Dog, Stover etc.....engines.

To confuse things just a step more, in August 1910 The Scott Machine Co. changed its name to "The London Gas Power Co. Ltd. By then the London Gas Power Co. was still building the LONDON engines but The London Concrete Machinery Co. was getting the engines elsewhere.

I think that the name "LONDON" cast in raised letters remained until sometimes in 1913, even long after Scott Machine had become London Gas Power.

If you were not confused before you started reading this, I bet you are now!

Denis Rouleau

Last edited by Denis Rouleau; 08-06-2010 at 10:33:06 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Denis Rouleau For This Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 08:34:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Denis. That's some good info to have down in black and white.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43:56 PM
Subscriber

Dennis is there link up between London Gas & Power and London Concrete Works I believe it is, we have a 3HP Novo that has been retagged as London Concrete Works I think it is..It's London Concrete something or other, just me memory is photographic, and it is outta film....

Brian
Old 08-09-2010, 11:25:23 PM
Registered-II

Denis - Just to add some more confusion to existing confusion on the subject, I have an engine that is Tagged with a heavy cast tag - "Standard Gas Engine" Manfd. By "The London Concrete Machinery Co. Ltd." London Canada. No. 8573 REV. 500 H.P. 3-1/2. In reality this engine is a 3-1/2 HP Brownwall so I don't see how it could be manufactured by The London Concrete Co. Ltd. Also the London concrete mixer business is still active in London Ontario. They were recently bought out by the Oshkosh Corporation but still go by the London machinery Co. name. London concrete mixers have been around for over 100 years. They are a very reputable name in the mobile mixer business.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry Anger For This Post:
Old 08-10-2010, 05:46:55 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus_k6 View Post
Denis is there link up between London Gas & Power and London Concrete Works.

Brian
Brian, please check and confirm the correct exact name for the company name you are reffering to.

Denis Rouleau
Old 08-10-2010, 08:25:15 AM
Subscriber

The 1912-1913 London Concrete Machinery Co. catalog does feature the Standard gas and gasoline engine, there is no equipment shown with that engine, it does show a diaphram pump with a 1 1/2 hp engine which appears to be a Novo engine.

.......... Owen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0005 (Large).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	84686   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0006 (Large).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	84687   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0008.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	84690  

Last edited by Owen Bosma; 08-10-2010 at 10:10:24 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Owen Bosma For This Post:
Old 08-10-2010, 10:36:07 AM
Subscriber

Dennis I was wrong on the name on the Novo, it is the London Concrete Machinery Co. and is definately a 3 hp with the kerosene carb on it.

Regards,

Brian
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25:58 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Bosma View Post
The 1912-1913 London Concrete Machinery Co. catalog does feature the Standard gas and gasoline engine.
.......... Owen
Hi Owen, your pictures are most interesting to me, not only the little upright BUT the other 2 "STANDARD" horizontal engine. The engine in the first picture is without a doubt a "Jack Canuck" built by the Gilson Mfg. Co. of Guelph, Ontario. The Engine in your 2nd picture is also a Gilson which looks like a Style "G".

Denis Rouleau

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus_k6 View Post
Denis I was wrong on the name on the Novo, it is the London Concrete Machinery Co.
Brian
Don't feel bad Brian. You are not the only one thinking that a London is in fact a Novo...........not so......... a London is a London and a Novo is a Novo!

Denis Rouleau