Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

What is your attitude to this?

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 2909 times

Old 03-17-2019, 09:38:15 PM
Registered-II

Default What is your attitude to this?

I'm quite broadminded but this I feel that this is something that is not right It is something that we often see whilst on the road ,this example is relatively mild compared to some that I have seen. I am glad to hear that the Federal Government has at last decided to do something about it. I can just ignore it but for parents with young children having to explain it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05778.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	330881  
The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2019, 11:10:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,372 Times in 890 Posts
Default Re: What is your attitude to this ?

Kinda makes me proud to be in the USA, where saying dumb things is still protected by law, and I can still own a horde of unregistered guns, in case the government ever decides they need to control what dumb things *I* say.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 03-17-2019, 11:31:18 PM
Registered-I

Some people wear their opinions on their sleeve, but I sure don't go for that PC crap.....
The Following User Says Thank You to ulgydog56 For This Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 07:55:57 AM
Subscriber

Very distasteful. Not something I would do, but hey, its the car owners right. Variations of the old sayings like "They judge you by who you hang around with", "They judge you by what you wear", They judge you by what you say" That person will certainly be judged by the message on the back of his vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Holmander For This Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 08:11:20 AM
Registered-II

Peter to explain . These vehicles are part of a camper van hire organisation The usual people who take advantage of the opportunity to hire these vehicles seem to be visitors to our country ,in the main they seem to be ''Backpackers'' and I dont blame them for taking advantage of the cheap hire rate . In many cases I dont believe they fully understand what has been painted on the vehicle and believe me there are some very explicit examples.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:12:33 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,661 Times in 2,515 Posts

For that I'd get a couple spray cans of paint and go at it. Kids don't need to see that although it is funny.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 02:51:45 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: What is your attitude to this?

We had a similar situation here.
I'm not for banning any kind of freedom of expression. But these were uncouth to say the least.
I don't recall whether the company voluntarily removed it due to social pressure or the government did intervene.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:09:55 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuspinto View Post
Kinda makes me proud to be in the USA, where saying dumb things is still protected by law, and I can still own a horde of unregistered guns, in case the government ever decides they need to control what dumb things *I* say.
Bulldust, if you put up a billboard covered in distasteful language you'd be ordered to take it down in the US, no different from this situation. Your holier-than-thou think-of-the-children how-dare-you-say-damn-on-TV crowd is famously more vocal and active than any other in the West!

Some of these wicked campers are pretty funny, but even as a "fun, young" bloke I think some are pretty classless and I won't weep if they're forced to change them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RustyNumbat For This Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 06:01:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,886 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNumbat View Post
Bulldust, if you put up a billboard covered in distasteful language you'd be ordered to take it down in the US, no different from this situation. Your holier-than-thou think-of-the-children how-dare-you-say-damn-on-TV crowd is famously more vocal and active than any other in the West!

Some of these wicked campers are pretty funny, but even as a "fun, young" bloke I think some are pretty classless and I won't weep if they're forced to change them.
There's a chance you might be jumping in there Rusty,with the heavy boots on? Following the conversation here from the outset I was happy to see Winchester clarify exactly what it was that we are looking at,for the benefit of our overseas readers making comment.Obviously he took that step for a reason.Some comments made prior to that point were made obviously unaware that the subject was about corporate advertising in the public domain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 06:52:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,968 Posts

Unless that means something different in Aussie speak, I'm having a hard time understanding the outrage, seems like a pretty sensible message. Any child that can read that and asks what it means is old enough to get a straight answer. Sadly most parents avoid the conversation, and kids learn younger every year. I'm not saying its ok, just a simple fact of how it is.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:44:59 PM
Subscriber

Not quite outrage DG,at least I don't think so,but probably experienced by some as one of those niggling dislikes for the public space.
The example pic might be a little milder than the average one,depending on how you look at life?
There are a lot of them getting around,and I have pondered for a long time personally,'how long they might last',...'if they will last' before enough people kick up a stink about toning them down a little.Having a small secret wager with self I suppose over things like that is good I find.You get to work out a little bit of that old recurring question,.........."is it just me,...or?"
One interesting development I am noticing is where we are beginning to see advertising online for large festival events,where bush camping and campsite facilities are included,..now and then a warning is attached,naming the certain rental company vehicles that "will be turned away" from the event.Sort of a 'me too' sentiment coming through I think?
The reasoning seems to be mostly based on the advertising being demeaning of women with some organising groups.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:16:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,968 Posts

Being that these are on business owned vehicles, and it is quite the statement, I'm pretty sure this came from somewhere in the upper echelons of the company, probably the top. Thinking you would need to find where this started to understand the motivation. You say this one is mild compared to others, what are the others?
Old 03-18-2019, 10:29:05 PM
Sponsor

What would be a great screen name??? "BUBBLE HUNTER"
MY BAD
Old 03-19-2019, 12:39:59 AM
Registered-III

I have been in some camping grounds that have barred them from staying onsite because of the messages and pictures on them.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:49:39 AM
Registered-II

An unfortunate omission on my part Paul.....should have stated that these signs are on corporate vehicles and some lowlife in the management thought it a ''Clever '' idea . If the opportunity does arise I will certainly photograph a more explicit and demeaning to the female gender, example . It seems to be that the majority of these vehicles come from Queensland and fortunately they like many obnoxious pests do not attempt the crossing of the Nullarbor..
To explain ... For those from places other than Australia.The Nullarbor is a dry treeless plain that separates the eastern states of Australia from the western side of the country {WA] Many unwanted pests have been prevented from coming to WA by this natural barrier.

Cobbadog ,The more that occurs the better.............we often have cruise ships here and to see these vehicles parked in the main street in full view of international tourists is not a good look.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:40:58 AM
Registered-I

I do have the sin of getting my hackles up everytime a yank uses the slightest pretense to chest beat how their country is the only free one in the world...

This is a bit like that (unofficial) C U in the N T slogan. Lots of people defending that one. It's a funny joke but no way do you want it broadcast like an actual advertisement.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:46:02 AM
Registered-I

I have seen a lot that were pretty average in condition and would be surprised if they made it across the Nullarbor and the writing on the side was average to say the least. Can remember one that had a leak of some sort inside and the renters parked it on a slope to let the water run out the back door. There was enough to fill a bucket.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:02:10 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
To explain ... For those from places other than Australia.The Nullarbor is a dry treeless plain that separates the eastern states of Australia from the western side of the country {WA] Many unwanted pests have been prevented from coming to WA by this natural barrier.
I was thinking the prevention was in the other direction.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darryl For This Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 06:25:52 AM
Registered-III

They generally are the cheaper option and you see a lot in pretty poor condition. I have seen some stripped and abandoned in camps off the road. Sometimes the people who hire them get a bad reputation for camping in carparks in coastal towns and leaving junk when they eventually leave. Because they rarely stay in caravan parks or areas without ablutions you need to be careful where you step.

EDIT: GOOGLE EXPLAINS IT ALL:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wick...iw=960&bih=458
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray Freeman For This Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 06:33:20 AM
Subscriber

I think they may be the main offending party Ray?
I haven't taken all that much notice previously,but when you get a few of them together like that,..and start reading,..

.....yeah -nah,..not what I want to see when out sharing the public space.
I'm glad someone is taking a bit of notice and is wanting to clean it up.