Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

IH LA an a Sundial 2hp Type B

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 409 times

Old 03-24-2019, 02:31:21 AM
Registered-II

Default IH LA an a Sundial 2hp Type B

Alright gents im firmly entrenched in my tractors we all know that. but lately stuff has been happening, see it all started with a trip to Kattaning show a few years ago and the Mrs being enthralled with a large hit and miss engine. She had wandered off while i was gas bagging and i found her nearly an hour later mesmerised by this engine (dont know what it was) anyways this sparked an interest in her an itch she needed to scratch so a IH LA was sourced and after a trying weekend was running sweet as a nut much to her joy, ( Poor connection on the plug lead under the mag cap i stripped the damn engine down twice trying to nut that out * NUMBAT TAKE NOTE* ) Anyways so now i could sit back and watch the hilarity as she tries to start it . but you know what these things are like you cant just stop at one so a very complete Sundial was added (missing magneto cylinder oiler and crank oiler cap) everything turns everything is loose but ive not really got any idea where to start with it the Carb looks overly simple but you know that means its probably needlessly complex with its simplicity and i have a collection of rods and levers that need to go somewhere any pics you folks have or explanations would be much appreciated. anyways there be some pics for you to fawn over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_408752886608666.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	331234   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190324_141722.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	331235  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2019, 09:45:48 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: IH LA an a Sundial 2hp Type B

Right so i was in a doing stuff mood today so i took advantage of my enthusiasm and dragged my beloved off up the hill to get the Wallis and Cat 22 ready for lights on the hill (make sure they start) This was mostly successful the Cat was a bit cantankerous due to stale petrol and i had a minor misshap where i broke the crank handle in half. This was quickly repaired with a pastie choc milk and going and visiting me mate down the road who has a decent mig welder, the crank handle re fitted better than new and after removing the stale fuel and replacing with fresh the little Cat was soon idling nicely. This done i turned my attentions to matters on the home front and formulated a bit of a plan to work on the sundial. first off the bat was a clean up in the shed. For the past 6 months i have on and off been battling with a Massey Harris pacemaker head that has corroded through the combustion chamber allowing vast amounts of water to enter #4 cylinder being a rarer orchard model ive been rather keen to get it sorted so odd couple of hours here and there have been spent grinding cleaning welding checking swearing and starting all over again (at this point i admit defeat) as a result tools spent welding rods and empty tea cups littered the shed this would not do so i got on and had a clean up much better i thought I can probably move the sundial in here now this however involved moving it from the garage where it was in the way of the FJ Holden to the shed across my lawn i dont have a sack trolley ive never required one and the engine was a little to heavy to drag/ lift i did however spy my daughters billy cart and that was promptly pressed in to service as a temporary transport (she does not use it anyways so it may be modified in to a permanent solution) off we went across the lawn tripping over dogs and avoiding the retic no incidents. Once in the shed i looked at my roll cab tool box and thought well that would support the weight and it would fit on there save me faffing around on my knees so i now had a plan to have the engine at a comfortable working height and my tools would be at hand and leave the bench free for other jobs genius but lifting a 150kg motor by oneself is no easy task so a suitable roofing truss was selected and the chain hoist set up all was going swimmingly i knew i would have to lift the engine about an inch to get it on to the tool box due to the set up but thats not a big drama until two things happened the tool box rolled away and the tension went off one of the hooks on my lifting wire leaving me stood there cradling an engine in my arms trying to hook my tool box with my foot. Eventual y all that silly nonsense was sorted and the engine was in place the crank guard was removed and every moving part got a good dose of oil i was happy to see that all the oilers fed oil as they should and saw oil coming out of the mains and big end. as the head was off i had a good look at the bore and was satisfied that it could be left as is after a good film of oil was applied. now it could not all be good i decided to temporarily attach the head even finding the exact stud and nut i required in my bolt box and also finding there was no broken stud remains just a mud wasp nest in the blind hole that was quickly cleaned out, Head attached and a suitable spark plug found we encountered the first problem i had decided to fit a spark plug to check the compression however it turns out that the spark plug mount was damaged and the threaded collar on the head broke in to three peices bugger, never mind i can just stick my thumb in the hole and voila good compression hurrah except the inlet valve will not open. I know they operate on atmospheric pressure but i expected some movement the spring seems right and the valve is free but it refuses to open when the engine is turned over? Never mind im sure we shall get to the bottom of it mean while im gonna need some bits i think if anyone knows of anything a cylinder oiler, mag & mounting bracket and possibly a cylinder head any help would be much appreciated anyways time for a cuppa il keep you all updated as i go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_649246068848305.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	331553   Click image for larger version

Name:	weld (2).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	331555   Click image for larger version

Name:	weld (1).jpg
Views:	41