Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Watts Engine Help

this thread has 44 replies and has been viewed 7531 times

Old 02-19-2011, 03:25:26 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,157 Times in 329 Posts
Default Watts Engine Help

A friend has a Watts engine S/n 173, about 4hp, 5 1/2' bore.
It would appear to be a hot bulb and we also believe it be rare. We know of two others but haven't seen them, one of them we do know is very different and is magneto ignition.
The one here is missing some of the governor parts, but we don't see that as a problem as we can copy a National governing system which is almost identical. The air intake valve appears to be an atmospheric valve.
We have the original fuel tank and that fits in a recess in the base, There appears to be no provision for a fuel pump and we think there should be a mixer of some sort opposite the fuel valve. The fuel must be sucked up from the tank.
We would be grateful for any help that would enable to get this engine running.
We will take photos and post them as soon as we can.
Merv.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 07:03:25 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,909 Times in 1,048 Posts
Photo Re: Watts engine help

These are the only two I have seen. Both were at the National in Heyfield in 2003.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick M Livingstone For This Post:
Old 02-19-2011, 08:49:39 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Watts Engine Help

Hi Merv, I have a similar engine to what you describe. I would be happy to share photos and information. Patrick the hot bulb (green engine) from the Rally, might you have a picture of it from of the opposite side?? Or anyone else who was at the Rally may have a photo of the other side of that engine?? I would really like to see it.

Merv there is a restored Watts some where in New Zealand. I have a copy of an English Stationary Engine Mag with a write up about it. I will try and hunt id down for you also.

regards Russell
Old 02-20-2011, 03:31:42 AM
Registered-II

G'day Russell'
Thanks for the reply, The one we have here is similar to the green hot bulb. I may be able to get some photos to morrow, Patrick's photo does confirm what we thought about the governor, so the missing parts can be made.
It also tells us there may not be a fuel pump and it looks like the fuel tank is in the base. Our one goes in a slot in the base under the cylinder. I think the only problem we have is, is with the fuel mixer, we don't have one, I think it is meant to push in the orifice and held with a set screw, it does have a threaded hole underneath. I think the orifice has later been threaded and a modern plug put in which has been drilled and threaded to to take an 1/8' fitting. Patrick's photo does indicates a mixer of some sort.
I can't see the air intake valve. Is it an atmospheric valve?
The two we know about, I believe are both runners and I know who has the mag ignition one. The other one, we don't know any thing about, but I know who did a lot of the engineering work on it. The owner has passed on and I don't know where it went, I didn't know the owner but we will try to find out. I don't think it is the one you refer to in NZ.
Another puzzle we have is, we have an ad for one which is the same as the one in Patrick knight's book "A to Z of British Stationary Engines"and that ad says" no lamp required" but is for a 7hp engine, but there are some differences, it is a hot bulb. I have scanned it but can't get it on photobucket to post it here.
At the moment we need detail of the fuel mixer and hot bulb cover.
The photos indicate both types of engine may use the same mixer. If so could they be the same as the National?
Merv.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:03:04 AM
Subscriber

g'day merv
here are a few pics of my watts engine, my engine has a 5 inch bore. for the fuel system they have a special type of check valve on the tank with 2 balls fitted i gues as a back up it has the second ball, will get a pic of mine shortly, as for the fuel mixer, there is no mixer as such just a right angle fitting that screws into the hot bowl with a mixture screw in it. it also has a tube and a brass tap to control the amount of air going into the hot bowl as can be seen in the pics of my engine. i dont have the little right angle piece with the mixture screw but i have seen the green engine close up many a time and thats how the setup works. i dont have access to the green engine anymore as the owner passed away and his daughter inherited it and it has since gone form the district.
cheers
mick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wat11.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	100869   Click image for larger version

Name:	wat22.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	100870   Click image for larger version

Name:	wat34.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	100871  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mick For This Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 06:14:05 AM
Registered-III

Merv I wish you success ,after about 15 years i have just restored another rare engine and today had it running for 2hrs . Like you I have been searching for someone who may have the same engine .........image attached
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pasley1.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	100872  
The Following User Says Thank You to jopeter For This Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 07:00:41 AM
Registered-III

Merv my engine is very close to the same as Micks Hopefully these pics help you some what. I have just found my SEM issue with the Watts article. It is issue number330 sept2001 page 22 and 23. The chap who owned the engine is/was a Ted Parr of South Canterbury NZ. The photo's show an air silencer (quite small) attached to the air valve on the opposite side to the sideshaft. The pic showing the engine in it's as found state does look like thats the right spot. Question is is it actually an exhaust silencer or an air silencer?? Anyone who may know please yell out. have more pics if you want them
regards Russell

ok I seem to be having uploading problems so this link will show my Watts on webshots http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/579798561YJXEbt

regards Russell
The Following User Says Thank You to Russell Gilbert For This Post:
Old 02-20-2011, 07:05:04 AM
Subscriber

g'day russell
yes it is an air silencer as your engine has one as well, national gas engines had a similar style of air silencer on them as it was supplied if the engine was to be in a building where noise is an issue, its a rare accessory for a national and would be even rarer for a watts!
cheers
mick
Old 02-20-2011, 07:14:53 AM
Registered-III

Merv you might well know this guy, after reading the article again I see the owner retired and moved to Timaru!! mate it's in your back yard somewhere.It also mentions the engine being on loan to the Fairlie Museum.

regards Russell
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47:09 AM
Registered-II

Russell, that was the guy. He came to see me with his engineer before the restoration was started They didn't know what they had and I haven't seen them since , That's why I didn't know any thing about that engine and I couldn't remember his name. We had heard that it was in a museum. We will check out the Fairlie Museum.
I wasn't aware that it was featured in the SEM.
Last night I talked to the owner of the other one. He knew of two more the same as his, they are converted gas engines with magneto ignition. That is now five Watt's here (getting common).
Steve the owner has just registered here and he would like to contact you and Mick for a few more details and thanks to you guys we will get this engine running. Steve is able to make all the missing parts.
Merv.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:34:16 AM
Registered

Post Re: Watts Engine Help

Hi Russell and Mick. Sorry for not being in contact earlier as been very busy up in Christchurch trying to move my brother out of his earthquake damaged house which is now basically destroyed. It was exciting to see your photos come up as trying to find one the same over here is like hens teeth, Merv and I are the right track with the governor so won't be long before I'll have this made. I'll have to ask you two to measure the length of the fuel/air intake tube from the top of the elbow to the bottom of the pipe as I'm missing that with the fuel valve.Have noticed that Mick's engine casting of the name is horizontal and my one is oval like Russell's so one must be older than the other, My serial number is 173 which Merv can verify as we found it on the big end bearing and the pully and keys and in front of the air intake valve, so will be interesting to see what numbers you both have.I'm going to try to post some pictures but might have to get Merv to help as I'm new to this. Cheers Steve..
Old 02-25-2011, 05:50:53 AM
Registered

Stick with me guys I think I've cracked it,but if not we'll have to wait for Merv for the photo's.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	101237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	101238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	101239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	101240  
Old 02-25-2011, 05:56:45 AM
Registered

Default Re: Watts engine help

Thanks Patrick this helps me Greatly, we have the hot bulb model. Cheers Steve.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:35:22 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Watts engine help

Thanks to those who replied to this thread the Watts has been restored and is running At the moment it being painted and the trolley bearers replaced. As yet I haven't seen it running but it did start straight away and ran well.
When it is all back together again we will post photos and a video.
Merv.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 06-18-2014, 02:21:29 AM
Registered-III

Good news Merv, mine is also very close to running. Will send you some happy snaps in a couple of weeks. regards Russell
Old 06-18-2014, 12:35:52 PM
Subscriber

I know where there is a Watts engine in California. It came from New Zealand 30 years ago.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:52:20 AM
Registered-II

It is amazing how engines get around. Thirty years ago there wasn't a lot engine movement internationally. I would be interested to know more about that one.
Merv.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:23:25 AM
Subscriber

So, JBO... who does the Watts belong to?
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Skinner For This Post:
Old 07-31-2014, 05:31:51 PM
Subscriber

Sorry I took so long to to respond The Watts Bros. engine belongs to Caron and Dick Wiley in Arroyo grande ,Ca. They have had it for years! Ben In California
Old 07-31-2014, 05:47:57 PM
Subscriber

No worries, mate. She's a beaut.