Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Watts Engine Help

this thread has 44 replies and has been viewed 7543 times

Old 08-01-2014, 04:33:14 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,158 Times in 330 Posts
Default Re: Watts Engine Help

I am having a crankup at my place tomorrow. the watts will be there so I should get a video of it running if all goes to plan.
Merv.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2014, 05:21:25 AM
Registered-II

Well here is the Watts at my recent Crankup. The day was cool with a breeze so the hot bulb required a little heat on it to keep it going.
It starts easy and runs well. Steve is very happy with it.
The under side of the hotbulb has had an old repair with Bronze welding and still had some pinholes in it. Steve got me to repair them with Bronze, and it was successful. When starting it the flame is kept away from the repair so at this stage there are no holes in the cover, the cover is taken off for starting.
For the time being it will stay that way.
Merv.
Here is the video

http://youtu.be/-GhIuwpSkdQ?list=UU-...pyPysPSGWqJUvg

[IMG][/IMG]
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 06:47:35 PM
Registered-III

Merve is that the cover I got done for you?? If so I will get some close ups of mine again ............ not sure if I ever mentioned it needs a top and bottom hole made ? Russ PS: nice brass badge btw
Old 08-16-2014, 06:51:04 PM
Registered

Hi Russ, why yes it is the cover you helped with the only reason for the holes not put into it was the hot bulb. I have included a photo so you could see the repair job that was done before we owned it and it held up to heat and running the engine for two days and then about five pin holes appeared which made me drop lip a bit, but with a bit of luck Merv was coming over to do a video of her running but went away to do some repairs to it for me instead as my brazing is not to flash, by the time I had caught up with Merv to help if i could which was about 1/2 hr, he had already done the job and was waiting for me to turn up, I proceeded to take it home,bolted it up and she hasn't looked back ever since. So at this stage I'm to scared to put heat on the bottom of the hot bulb for just incase it lets go but I see in the future I will need to address this problem. Some photos of your cover would be great Russ as Merv and I have talked about putting a Hole on the side instead of underneath so we can keep away from the repair. Just wondering how your one is coming Russ? would be interested in your fuel system as I put only one non return valve into my fuel line with a tap to turn fuel off and on with a needle valve next to the hot bulb which seems to work fine. I have found its a bit of a balancing act with the air tube valve to get it right but once set seems no need for further adjustment. it also seems to start quite easily as well, the first start was with straight diesel which seemed to work quite well just a bit smokey and hard on the eyes, then I changed it to 50/50 mix of diesel and kero which she seems to love and it also starts well. look forward to seeing some photos and a video of yours. Cheers Stevehttp://www.smokstak.com/forum/images/smilies/wave.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0822.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	203069  
Old 10-06-2014, 06:21:19 AM
Registered-III

Finally got my engine running on the weekend. Has been a long time from start to finish but Im really happy with the result. I have a couple of very minor little things to do. We ran the engine over by being belted up to a small tractor for 20 minutes to free up the new boar etc. Plenty of oil and was not long before it was time to add some heat and fuel, well it started and ran very easy. Kinda caught us by suprise as these things dont often happen that easy for us lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hpl...m-upload_owner

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 AM ----------

Another longer version, dont worry the oiler was dripping oil lol, needs adjusting, yes I need to fix the water leek and finish off the exhaust. :-) hope you enjoy my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY_l...ature=youtu.be
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russell Gilbert For This Post:
Old 10-07-2014, 03:07:01 AM
Registered-II

Russell, your Watts looks great and runs well. As you say it was easy to start, Steve's engine is the same, starts easy, so we all must be doing something right.
Congratulations, that is one more running.
Merv.
The Following User Says Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 10-10-2014, 02:48:38 PM
Registered

Well done Russell looks wonderful and yours runs nice as well and looks good on the trolly with the water tank. I had put a reducer on the outlet of the water to keep it hot and it ran all day without any more heat but I had opened it up just a little for Merv's crank up and found I had to keep the heat on as was cooling down after 3/4hr of heat and had to restart it. It doesn't seem to need to much heat for starting and starts really well which your one sounds the same. Cheers Steve
Old 05-10-2015, 07:50:38 PM
Registered

Hi, my name is Kellie and I'm the daughter of Brian Simpson, who passed away 12 years ago and was an avid stationary engine collector. He was the owner & restorer of the green Watts in the earlier photo of this thread. The engine has been inherited by my sister, but it has sat in my Dad's old garage for 12 years and so she has finally decided to sell it. Seeing as we know nothing about stationary engines I was wondering if someone could give me some info as to value or who would be interested in buying it? It sounds like there are not many of them around?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
regards,
Kellie
Old 05-10-2015, 08:52:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,893 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brians Engines View Post
Hi, my name is Kellie and I'm the daughter of Brian Simpson, who passed away 12 years ago and was an avid stationary engine collector. He was the owner & restorer of the green Watts in the earlier photo of this thread. The engine has been inherited by my sister, but it has sat in my Dad's old garage for 12 years and so she has finally decided to sell it. Seeing as we know nothing about stationary engines I was wondering if someone could give me some info as to value or who would be interested in buying it? It sounds like there are not many of them around?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
regards,
Kellie
Hi Kelly,
the only advice I would offer is "don't be in a hurry".That way you can make an informed choice and fewer regrets later on.
I couldn't personally place a value on it for you,but others here will have that expertise or experience.
All the best,Paul.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 05-10-2015, 09:07:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
Hi Kelly,
the only advice I would offer is "don't be in a hurry".That way you can make an informed choice and fewer regrets later on.
I couldn't personally place a value on it for you,but others here will have that expertise or experience.
All the best,Paul.
Thanks so much Paul. That's very good advice. I see there is a rally on at Heyfield this weekend. I might send my sister along to have a chat to the gentlemen there. I'm sure some of Dads old engine buddies from the rallies would be able to give us some more advice.
Regards, Kellie
Old 05-10-2015, 10:21:23 PM
Registered-I

Hi Kelly i new your dad well when he was in the club see me at the rally if you want i do the commentating so i will have the mic in my hand reg Peter Coleman
The Following User Says Thank You to peter coleman For This Post:
Old 05-10-2015, 11:21:59 PM
Subscriber

Gday kellie
I knew your father well and we did a few engine dealings etc over time as well, he was a great help in my younger days of collecting engines with help and advise. I myself would be interested in the engine when the time to sell is right. I will pm my ph number and maybe we can chat about it some more as I still live local
Cheers Mick
Old 05-10-2015, 11:39:21 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Gday kellie
I knew your father well and we did a few engine dealings etc over time as well, he was a great help in my younger days of collecting engines with help and advise. I myself would be interested in the engine when the time to sell is right. I will pm my ph number and maybe we can chat about it some more as I still live local
Cheers Mick
Hi Mick,
Thanks for the message. I'll pass on your number to my sister Belinda, who is now the owner of the Watts. I'm just getting the ball rolling for her, and trying to find out some information to begin with. The final decision will be hers so I'll ask her to give you a call for a chat. She lives in Newborough also. Mum has a few other small engines to sell too, so I'm just trying to help with the process and clear the garage for her.
Kind regards,
Kellie
Old 05-11-2015, 12:20:39 AM
Subscriber

No worries kellie will talk to belinda, maybe we can tee up a day and I can come and fire it up again so u can all see it run again too
Cheers Mick
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 05:24:39 AM
Registered-II

Kellie.
I have done a lot of research on the Watts engines and have produced an article that was published in issue 491 February 1915 of the Stationary Engine magazine, an English Magazine.

At the time of writing I had located seventeen engines and since then another has come to light making eighteen.

They were sold with Ridd milking machines and evidence suggest they were made between 1908 and 1912. there is no evidence Ridd sold them after that and I believe production ceased at that time. I believe Ridd's were the main customer.

There is a school of thought that they were badged Nationals, there are certainly strong similarities and National would have been the basis of the design but there are enough differences to to suggest that Watts possibly made their own castings or I think more likely, they bought them in from a local foundry The castings are much rougher than National castings. there four different versions but one depicted in an advertisement in the 1910 June issue of the "The Implement Review" has no known surviving engines.

At least two cases of anecdotal evidence says engines and the milking plants were installed in 1920. This is well outside the known dates that Ridds used Watts engines so I think they would have been installed second hand.

This post is very brief and the Stationary Engine article discusses the subject in more depth.
Issue 490 January 2015 describes the restoration of a Hot Bulb serial number 175.

This will give you and others a little information on Watts Engines.

Merv.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 05-11-2015, 05:53:59 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv C View Post
Kellie.
I have done a lot of research on the Watts engines and have produced an article that was published in issue 491 February 1915 of the Stationary Engine magazine, an English Magazine.

At the time of writing I had located seventeen engines and since then another has come to light making eighteen.

They were sold with Ridd milking machines and evidence suggest they were made between 1908 and 1912. there is no evidence Ridd sold them after that and I believe production ceased at that time. I believe Ridd's were the main customer.

There is a school of thought that they were badged Nationals, there are certainly strong similarities and National would have been the basis of the design but there are enough differences to to suggest that Watts possibly made their own castings or I think more likely, they bought them in from a local foundry The castings are much rougher than National castings. there four different versions but one depicted in an advertisement in the 1910 June issue of the "The Implement Review" has no known surviving engines.

At least two cases of anecdotal evidence says engines and the milking plants were installed in 1920. This is well outside the known dates that Ridds used Watts engines so I think they would have been installed second hand.

This post is very brief and the Stationary Engine article discusses the subject in more depth.
Issue 490 January 2015 describes the restoration of a Hot Bulb serial number 175.

This will give you and others a little information on Watts Engines.

Merv.
Hi Merv,
Thanks so much for taking the time to give me some information. I'll try to get a copy of your article to stay with the Watts, wherever it ends up.
Your Watts is beautifully restored, so I can see you are passionate about the engine. It was fantastic to see your video, and it brought back strong memories of my Dad's Watts running. He certainly loved that machine.
All the best with yours Merv. (any idea on the value of them?)
Regards,
Kellie
Old 05-11-2015, 06:41:42 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Gilbert View Post
[/COLOR]Another longer version, dont worry the oiler was dripping oil lol, needs adjusting, yes I need to fix the water leek and finish off the exhaust. :-) hope you enjoy my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY_l...ature=youtu.be
Russell:

Congratulations on the fine job you did in resurrecting your Watts engine.

I'm surprisd at how quietly it runs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 05-12-2015, 08:20:20 AM
Registered-I

G'day Kellie,

A good friend of mine is very keen on your late dads engine,I will message you his details to pass onto your sister.

Regards Brad.
The Following User Says Thank You to pitty For This Post:
Old 05-13-2015, 07:35:47 PM
Registered-III

Hi Elden, thanks for the kind words on my Watts. It had it's first outing only a couple of weeks ago at Lake Goldsmith rally. Ran sweet all weekend. Very happy with how it turned out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russell Gilbert For This Post:
Old 04-06-2019, 04:37:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,893 Times in 921 Posts

Blowing the dust from an old topic,hoping the input is of some use out there,..?
I stumbled across this little engine the other day,while out buying some vintage machinery from a local property.
Naturally I raised the subject of the possibility of it joining the other items on my trailer.The discussion was cordial,but very brief.
I think my phone is one pic at a time,and dinner is pretty close,.. will ad more later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	332120  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post: