Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

An Attack On Our Power Grid? Keep Your Onan On Standby

this thread has 60 replies and has been viewed 1883 times

Old 09-06-2017, 05:51:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,790 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default An Attack On Our Power Grid? Keep Your Onan On Standby

I read an article this morning which I linked below. It appears the little fat man in North Korea is threating to take down our power grid with an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) onslaught, a threat that experts contend is both very real and comes with catastrophic consequences. I am not a nuclear scientist, but how will it affect our generators.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...cid=spartandhp

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	290540  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 06:58:26 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: An Attack On Our Power Grid? Keep Your Onan On Standby

thanks for the heads up JC. I am making some tin foil hats for all of my gensets asap. I am no expert, but it seems if they could take down the grid it may affect some of the newer more fancy generators , but probably not the old school stuff.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:50:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,154 Times in 1,785 Posts

This has been studied for years. Pop a nuke high in the atmosphere and the grid for x hundred or thousand miles goes poof. One project I worked on with the pHd guy I worked for was for mission critical equipment EMP mitigation. We had meetings in DC with a lot of gingerbread military types and a few senators which ultimately netted the big zero. Everyone other than military has their head in the sand.

Bottom line is that the old non electronic controlled equipment and older diesels will be fine. But with the grid down you won't be able to get fuel so you're borked regardless.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 08:30:19 AM
Subscriber

There will be fuel out there you just have to take it at the same time your getting all the canned goods from the guy down the street you just shot IF he don't do you first. And keep a few spare points and condensers and coils for your model genny.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russell Walker For This Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 08:35:41 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
This has been studied for years. Pop a nuke high in the atmosphere and the grid for x hundred or thousand miles goes poof. One project I worked on with the pHd guy I worked for was for mission critical equipment EMP mitigation. We had meetings in DC with a lot of gingerbread military types and a few senators which ultimately netted the big zero. Everyone other than military has their head in the sand.

Bottom line is that the old non electronic controlled equipment and older diesels will be fine. But with the grid down you won't be able to get fuel so you're borked regardless.
Will this mean that the electronic voltage regulators such as the type installed in the J series would be affected?

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 09-06-2017, 08:46:26 AM
Registered-III

All the electronic bits we got from the military came in foil pouches for emp protection. Strong emp can destroy old school stuff but it is more resistant. For maximum protection store your generator in a sealed metal box. Wrapping in tin foil actually will help also.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:55:56 AM
Subscriber

I think this is why old Soviet MiG fighters had vacuum tubes

FoxNews just winding up the old people, again Contrary to popular opinion, countries don't develop nukes in order to actually use them
The Following User Says Thank You to gnucklehead For This Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 09:13:13 AM
Subscriber

the possibly of an EMP attack is very real, if you look at the photos of the fitzgerald after being rammed by the cargo ship it ia clear to me that the ship was dead in the water and that the communications on the ship were knocked out that could explain the delay in calling for help...

Bob
Old 09-06-2017, 09:19:44 AM
Registered-II

Little Jim is crazy enough he might actually do it though. It would mean the swift and complete annihilation of his country, but he's arrogant enough to try it anyway knowing how many of our soldiers will die trying to smoke him out of his hole.

The scary part is he wouldn't have to even hit US soil in order to trigger an EMP of sufficient magnitude to paralyze the US, especially because said EMP could strike areas that are already damaged by wildfires and hurricanes.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:41:36 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,204 Posts

I was a nuclear weapons affect engineer for a good portion of my career. I was involved in critiquing EMP hardness proposals for a military communication system. I have to chuckle about stories like EMP is going to fry our power grid. In a way that may be true especially if the "electronics" do not employ conducted EMP transient protection on all interface circuits. As for the HV power lines they employ 20 cycle reclosing lightning protection which may or may not react to the much higher and powerful EMP only if there is flashover generated power flow across, for example, a HV insulator. This can happen as an EMP event upsets the earths magnetic lines of force as they swish back and forth. Sun spots can also do something similar.

The EMP problem is that the frequencies generated are much higher, more powerful and more wide spread than lightning and that makes any un protected interface circuit vulnerable if and only if enough energy gets conducted to let's say to a system controlling computer.

Another reason I like the Magneciter because there is NO electronics in the design and what little EMP couples down through a conducted transient will,be of no consequence. BUT and a big but, the utility computers which control the natural gas supply to my JB may be vulnerable if not EMP hardened, and I'll bet they are not. Of course the amount of EMP that would get to any particular electronic system depends in great part on the topology of the wiring which determines the amount of coupling thus damaging transient pickup.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 09:59:08 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,512 Times in 1,906 Posts

Just another fear mongering article. The "Pillsbury Doughboy" knows full well that an actual attack on the US, South Korea, or Japan would result in the total devastation of his country. I just worry that some moron over here would believe that we could mount a "limited preemptive attack" on North Korea using conventional weapons and count on no retaliation because the attack was "limited". In that case I believe the little fat man would want to go down fighting. Not to mention China, which has a mutual defense pact with North Korea, has already signaled it will not allow a first strike attack.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 10:22:02 AM
Subscriber

I would pay good money to personally pump two bullets in fatboy's head at point blank range and that is the honest truth. Fat boy is out of control and deserves nothing less than my gift to him.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 09-06-2017, 10:33:04 AM
Registered-II

I don't doubt that EMP can be a threat.
If you haven't already read carefully what Leon just said, reread it, carefully.

Then google "faraday cage" for a while.

Before you chew your fingernails down to your elbows, consider this:
The people who supply our power have a lot to loose if an EMP event, or even a lightning strike occurs. Do you really think they are sitting around twittleing their thumbs or wringing their hands on this issue?
Grid goes down-> no electricity gets used ->no income.
They have a lot to loose. To me that means they will protect their own interests.

I have my generators ready for lightning, tornadoes, etc. not for EMP.

Just my $.02
Pete Stanaitis
---------------
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Spaco For This Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 10:49:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,662 Times in 6,429 Posts

The EMP has already happened in a way. I noticed when Onan came out with the computer controlled gensets and switches. You had to be careful around towers. I watched many change programing when the transmitters kicked in.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:55:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,267 Posts

Would be easier to drop some kind of poison in the major city's water supplies, how many millions would be dead before they knew what was going on. Then do a emp and send in there troops.. running a gen would just invite looters or someone that wants to take it by force in that kind of situation.

Look at the looters in Dallas, it was only a few days and one city, imagine if it was half the country or more for weeks or months
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yellowlister For This Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 11:04:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,354 Posts

I have always believed that the down fall of the United states would be the electronics we have become so far advanced that we depend on electricity for everything we that are able and me probably would not make it but remember the Pioneer days candles and preparing meat and foods for storage and we did for years did not need electric. So this is just my 2 cents worth sooner or later some low life scum bag will pull the trigger and cause devastation on the Usa. SO as mentioned research the Faraday cage just in case for an example a metal garbage can line it with card board so nothing touches the metal the EMP pulse magnetic charge goes around and not through what is inside. any how just my thoughts Hopefully the Usa can act fast enough if fat boy trys anything and knock it out of the sky if it hits us first our military is helpless no guidance systems or communications .
The Following User Says Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 11:13:53 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon N. View Post
I was a nuclear weapons affect engineer for a good portion of my career. I was involved in critiquing EMP hardness proposals for a military communication system.
Another reason I like the Magneciter because there is NO electronics in the design and what little EMP couples down through a conducted transient will,be of no consequence. BUT and a big but, the utility computers which control the natural gas supply to my JB may be vulnerable if not EMP hardened, and I'll bet they are not. Of course the amount of EMP that would get to any particular electronic system depends in great part on the topology of the wiring which determines the amount of coupling thus damaging transient pickup.
In your opinion, would an EMP event destroy solid state ignition systems in our generators?

Natural gas- need lots of power to run gas compressors. Even if computers are hardened, if generating capacity is no longer available, or motors are damaged, no natural gas.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:32:00 AM
Subscriber

It'ts been tested.. both the US and Soviets have already blasted nukes in outer space

http://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich...bombs-in-space
The Following User Says Thank You to gnucklehead For This Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 12:06:27 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,204 Posts

In my opinion, the small Onan generators like we are familiar with have the electronic enclosed inside a metal box ala control panel. In essence a faraday cage. The problem is the conducted transients, be it due to lightning or conducted low frequency EMP that needs to be addressed if one is paranoid about this. Why low frequency you say? By virtue of the cross coupling of conducted EMP, much of the EMP energy is lost. What I was involved with was protection of sensitive electronic circuits. Not only are interface circuits designed to tolerate significant over volt, but additional circuit protection was provided to keep EMP out of the boxes. Interface circuit components were designed to exhibit a high second breakdown. Second breakdown occurs when, for example, the reverse polarity semi conductor junction experiences punch through or shorting rendering the device/circuit destroyed. That's another reason I like the Magneciter because it's' only electronics is relatively high Peak inverse voltage threshold diodes in a rectifier bridge arrangement. That's it I do not want to get carried away on this subject.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 01:40:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,181 Posts

My opinion is to take out the threat. Go in with all we got and yes there will be innocent collateral damage. This little clown is trying to armor himself from anyone coming in and taking him out like what happened to Sadam and Gaddafi. Good riddance to both of them.
I'm NOT a war monger...... This just needs to happen soon to get him out of power and threatening the rest of the free world.
"Ma" Bell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post: