Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Drag Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Drag Saw Collectors Water cooled drag saws; Hercules, Ottawa, Wade, Vaughan, Witte, Timberwolf and Multnomah

Drag Saw Collectors

Vaughan Drag Saw Engine

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 4462 times

Old 01-12-2011, 03:23:21 AM
Registered-I

Default Vaughan Drag Saw Engine

I recently purchased a Vaughan model D drag saw. I'm currently tearing the engine down to replace the connecting rod Babbit. The clutch is being stubborn and I'm afraid to try too hard until I'm sure if it's right or left hand thread.
This is my first old engine so it's a learning experience. I want to clean it up and get it running so I can play with it. I've spent the last few weeks lurking here and following links all over the net, and I gotta say, it's been a pleasant learning experience.
My wife thinks I'm crazy because I can stand and watch an old Hit n' Miss run for hours. LOL.
Any advise will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2011, 12:03:58 PM
Subscriber

Thumbs up Re: Vaughan drag saw engine

If you have the time go north to Shermans Iron Ranch , its near ne 10th ave and ne 229th st , up west of Dollars Corner,
See if you can find Jim Tremble, or someboby that works there , and I,m sure they could be of some help to you, lots of nifty stuff around there
Wayne
Old 01-12-2011, 09:53:18 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Vaughan drag saw engine

I've been out to the Iron Ranch. Wife gets embarassed 'cause I wander around drooling all the time.

Dana
Old 01-13-2011, 11:28:52 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Vaughan Drag Saw Engine

Have you been out in the woods , next to the big engine shed
ALL kinds of stuff !! , I saw some Hubers , I think thats the spelling . I could spend some time in there my self
Wayne
Old 01-13-2011, 11:50:39 PM
Registered-I

Oh, yeah. There's several acres of rust in those woods. There's even more across the road behind the machine shop.
I've spent a lot of time wandering though the buildings. Wife gets upset when we hear'em fire up that big Fairbanks Morse 'cause I run off and leave her standing. lol.

Dana
Old 01-15-2011, 02:52:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,162 Times in 429 Posts

Ok, Finally got some time to run out to my Drag Saw building and check out the clutch I took off of one a couple years ago, The one I took off is for an earlier model saw, but I compared it with my D thats all togather and they look the same.

It has Right Hand Threads, and is Fine Threaded. The Nut behind the clutch also comes off with it as one piece. I remember having a heck of a time getting it off by myself, I am sure if you have two people it would work better, one to hold the flywheel, and the other to unscrew the clutch. After you get the clutch off, you can pull the flywheel off, the flywheel is on a Half Moon key. What Ever you do, do not hammer on the end of the crank shaft, they are brittle, I have a friend who ended up breaking it off. I ended up using a puller to get the flywheel off.

Good Luck with it.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:18:07 PM
Registered-I

Thanks Chris. I E-maied you about this engine about a month ago. Then I found this site.
Dana

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Where the fuel line attaches to the mixer it appears something is missing. should there be a fuel filter? I was thinking of one of those glass bowl types.

I have lots of questions. I'll try to spread them out so I don't create a newbie overload.
Thanks again,
Dana
Old 01-15-2011, 04:26:15 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,162 Times in 429 Posts

Vaughan's did originally use a Fuel Filter between the tank and the carb, its a enclosed brass piece with a screen, you dont need it, and Vaughan was the only one that used a filter, the Wades, Multnomahs, Timber Wolf, etc. never used a filter, just the copper line from the tank to the carb.

I have included a picture of what the filter looks like from one of my Vaughan saws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 00911.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	97992  
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris J For This Post:
Old 01-17-2011, 02:17:51 AM
Registered-I

Hmm. Now I see a couple more missing parts. The filter and that little finger that presses on the side of the needle valve knob.
Thanks for the picture.
Dana
Old 01-19-2011, 01:49:12 AM
Registered-I

Regarding the thread direction on the Vaughan, I just removed the clutch from my Mod L. After much frustration trying to remove it as a Right-Handed thread I resorted to reading the Owners Manual which said that the clutch and flywheel nut were both Left-Handed threads. I still had to use a lot of heat but everything finally released. The manual seems to be written for all the models but who knows.
Rich