Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Kohler 4cyl 32v Lighting Plant

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 2146 times

Old 06-21-2016, 07:53:40 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Kohler 4cyl 32v Lighting Plant

Paul, I have an early Kohler inline twin DC genes that from the mid twenties and the data plate shows it as 800w 110v DC. It seemed like a funny voltage to me for DC as the US is 110-120 AC and I like you assumed Oz was all 32v DC.

Mines an interesting little rig, the crank is parallel not 180 offset and has an electromagnetic governor. It's a rusty glob at the moment but I'll get to it one day.........

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59253
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2016, 08:09:01 AM
Subscriber

I have a Kohler 4 cyl 110 v DC Lighting plant. There is an American site devoted to these plants. Mine is dated 1925. When running at rallies I tie a piece of wire to the top of the muffler, and thin strips of cloth or wool that are moved by the exhaust gasses, so that spectators can see that the engine is running. I have never seen an engine run as smooth and quiet as this one. I have restored it with an original vacuum type fuel pump. I have the original workshop manual that came with mine.
I had it at the Kalbar show (QLD) last weekend, but I don't have a photo, some of my fellow club members probably have one that they can post.
Robbo
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbo For This Post:
Old 06-24-2016, 07:41:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,794 Times in 868 Posts

Thanks Robbo,i hope you can stir one of your mates into putting a pic of your Kohler up here.
I have read through some of the technical information found in some of the links posted here and I tend to think they are a well made little machine?
I'm hoping I can acquire the one I am looking at?There are numerous other desirables laying around the yard,including a dismantled farm pumper,an antiqe

---------- Post added at 06:41:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34:50 PM ----------

(wrong button!)..?... antique Webb windmill,a very early Fargo ute to name just a few interesting items,so I struggle to know which direction to head first when I get to the owners yard?
I think the Fargo is mine,although we haven't quite finished talking about it yet.I made a big noise about the Kohler to the owners son last visit,and I'm sure my interest will be relayed to the owner before I return for the Fargo.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:44:52 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,491 Posts

To see photos of others, Here is my Alternating Current plant:
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154530

And here is one of three Direct Current plants that I have:
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157195

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 06-25-2016, 07:59:00 AM
Subscriber

I did find a photo of my plant. At this stage I was using a plastic vacuum fuel pump off a Kohler Mower engine, which worked quite well after some experimenting with positioning hieght, in relation to the carby. I have removed the brushes from the generator, and an electrician friend of mine in helping me rewire the control box. The engine now looks a lot better with an original vacuum fuel pump fitted.
Robbo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140727_134457.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	256871  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robbo For This Post:
Old 06-25-2016, 08:11:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Keith,at least your little DC plant pictured looks to be all there and has been kept out of the elements;nice engines!
Thanks Robbo,i'm taking particular notice of fittings and I see the Bakelite distributor cap on the mag on mine differs slightly?I am telling myself the layout on the id tag is completelty different to yours and others shown,but it could simply be that I haven't looked closely enough in the first place?I can see pine sap rinning down the brass tag in my pic,and perhaps it is simply that the pine sap gave the appearance of the writing being layed out in two vertical columns of details when I stood there looking at it?
The best favour I could do myself is to take a drive out there again,and if I cant buy the generator itself at least I can interest myself with the serial number and genny output spec's?
At least I have some idea of the shape of the missing cowl and control box if they are possibly still there.
Getting back to your DC plant Robbo,the little brass tank I think I recognise?
I came home with parts of a USAF 2stroke generator a few years back now.It had a very similar tank with an oil measure tube built into the filler cap.The plant was 110 volt with an exciter mounted out on the end of the generator spindle.I think my mate might still have the wreck on his shelf but used the tank on another project?
Old 06-26-2016, 07:26:47 AM
Subscriber

Hi Paul, Would you do me a favour when you visit the generator again. I would like the actual dimensions of the control box please if it is still there. The photo you posted is of the same vintage as mine. Your manual choke lever is missing from the top of the carby and you have the electro magnetic choke setup, which was used for remote electrical starting. I think the picture posted by b Howard is a later version with the mechanical fuel pump mounted at the back. The fuel tank I purchased at the Toowoomba swap meet for $5 it has a nice original fuel gauge in the top. The cowl on the generator is cut from an old gas bottle from a car and panel beated 6mm larger for a snug fit.
Robbo
Old 06-26-2016, 09:53:25 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by E27N View Post

Mines an interesting little rig, the crank is parallel not 180 offset and has an electromagnetic governor. It's a rusty glob at the moment but I'll get to it one day.........

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59253
Gday E27N,
I don't want to derail my own thread,but I notice your nice little 2cyl find was a while back now,...I'm wondering how the resto' is going?...or has it taken a back seat like a few of my own?The internal rust looked a little discouraging?
Robbo,..I'm sure that's the same tank,all brass,sealed fuel guage in top,soldered lapped seam about 2 inches down from the top.I think from memory it had threaded mount holes in the sides?
The gas tank end was a good idea.I will be hunting high and low for any parts belonging if I get the go ahead.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:09:03 AM
Subscriber

You are spot on with the tank. When you get it, I will scan the manual for you if you like.
Robbo
Old 06-27-2016, 02:15:59 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,288 Times in 4,063 Posts

Yhe tag on the side of the generator should have model and voltage on it. early units had a honeycomb radiator, later straight core, like the one pictured. If the model is a letter (A,B, C, D, K, KE, etc.), then it probably is a DC unit. Most were 110 VDC, with varying amp outputs, usually made by RPM increases.. If 1A or 1M starter, 110VAC units. The A meant auto start, the M manual start (hand crank). I see that the crank and nose bearing assembly are missing off the unit. Kohler used a crappy cast iron (porous) on the bearing, and it often broke. The crankshaft end support is internal, so if this is an auto start model, if the control box is good, you can run the engine without the starter installed. If manual start, you will have to locate the starter crank and nose bearing assembly. Not an easy item to find unless someone is parting out a unit. Some basics: engine rated around 5 HP. Pressure lube to cam and lifters, crank and rod throws splash lubricated from windage tray in the base, filled from lifter galley supply overflow. SAE 30 oil only! Engine is OHV, .010" exhaust, .008 intake clearance cold. Compression ratio between 4.5 to 6: 1 depending on model. comp pressure around 50 to 60 PSI max! 2" bore, 4" stroke. Smooth running and dependable units!. Let us know what the tag reads! Early units had a brass tag on the block (A thru C, later D and up, and numbered units had tags on the radiator mount. The AC units usually had aluminum or zinc tags. Most DC units had brass.

If you look carefully at the front of the head, you will see a brass block. This was a fuel distribution block, and was usually found with units using a below unit fuel tank and a Stewart Vacuum fuel pump. The unit serial number was usually stamped into this block.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post: