Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

Electrion Power & Light 32 Volt Genset (Canadian Linderman)

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1617 times

Old 05-03-2017, 10:46:33 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Electrion Genset (Canadian Linderman)

Hi All, It's been over 12 months since I attempted to get info about my Linderman 32 volt genset. Believe it or not, I purchased a second one of these mysterious gensets and this latest one is almost complete except for the switchboard.

It also showed me how much was missing from the first one.
This included
>the electric governor,
>the strange little carby,
>the fuel pump,
>the switchboard mounting brackets,
>the sump sight glass,
>the generator top cover
and the magneto

There must be someone out there that has one of these gensets in their collection or knows of someone who has one?

It would be great to get access to an instruction manual.

Cheers

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	281373   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	281374   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	281375   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	281376  

The Following User Says Thank You to harrone For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2017, 11:22:48 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Electrion Genset (Canadian Linderman)

Mark, thanks for sharing your photos. I would bet that these units had covers over them at one time. I base this on the design of the base and the fillet around the top of the base designed for something to rest there. I'm glad that you were able to save these units. I hope you can find literature for them and restore them. Rgds, Dennis
Old 12-06-2017, 12:54:35 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Electrion Genset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy J Shafer View Post
The reason I ask for a picture. Some companies sold units built by others,just put their name on them. Some were built by companies that went under or merged with others. A picture would help to figure out what you have. Most likely it is a rare one.
Before the free trade ear there were many companies in Canada that made stuff other than auto parts....

I had a drill press made by Canadian Blower and Forge, but to an American eye it looks an awful lot like a Buffalo.
Nearly identical but made under license or in some cases a copy.
I have a friend In Georgia that has a Desjardins stationary engine made in Quebec that he shows.
Most people see it and ask why it has an unfamiliar name.
There used to be branch plants that made things for markets outside the US or privately held companies with the rights to manufacture products for sale only in Canada. ( most Coleman lanterns outside the USA are Canadian or Canadian parts kits until the factory closed in 1990. Or McLaughlin cars that later became GM of Canada )

These trade restrictions meant we had our own stuff that was sort of like American, sometimes contained US parts but was made here.

Ram II tank from WW2.
See the family resemblance to a US tank of the era?
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=...2009_4.jpg&f=1
Fargo truck, not Dodge.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4019/4...08cf2a2c_z.jpg

Now we have Walmart too and nothing is made in Canada.

---------- Post added at 11:54:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrone View Post

There must be someone out there that has one of these gensets in their collection or knows of someone who has one?

It would be great to get access to an instruction manual.

Cheers

Mark
Most US branch plants began to close after 1990.
a lot of them destroyed records and scrapped tooling when they shifted production out ( sometimes sent it to China or Mexico where labour was cheaper )
Coleman can not tell you a thing about a lantern assembled in Australia for example...
The parts were Canadian and all the records destroyed when the plants ( in both our countries ) closed, even for something that was never made anyplace else like type 335.

The probability of finding any information on a really old Canadian made delco type plant is almost nil unless you can find a US version ( like for a Johnson Iron horse plant ).
No one thought it was important I guess...

Put the shoe on the other foot and ask someone here if they know what a Holden was.