Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Hobart Bros. P.E. 197 Help Requested...

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 201 times

Old 06-12-2019, 03:45:30 AM
Registered-I

Default Hobart Bros. P.E. 197 Help Requested...

Howdy Gents. I am looking for the correct air cleaner assembly for my P.E. 197. The carburetor is the Marvel Schebler. Does anyone out there in generator land happen to have a spare they are willing to sell? Here is a picture of the assembly I am looking for. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZXB Air Filter..jpg
Views:	37
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	336994  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2019, 09:32:42 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Hobart Bros. P.E. 197 help requested...

Dave,
where did this picture come from? That is NOT a Schebler carb. THAT is a Briggs and Stratton medium two-piece flo-jet. the air cleaner, however, does look correct. The original air cleaner will fit either carb., as they both have the same throat/ inlet dimensions. I will look in my pile to see if I have an extra.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:06:28 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Hobart Bros. P.E. 197 Help Requested...

NBlack, I cannot rightly say where I acquired the photo because it came to me quite some time ago. There is another guy in Central Calif. who has several, 4 I think, '197's but only 1 air cleaner. Was it you that said the Flow Jet will work well on this gen.? My Schebler is in great shape, but it would be prudent to buy a replacement for the spare parts box.
Thanks for looking for a spare air cleaner. Dave.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:49:09 PM
Registered-I

Yes. The B&S medium two piece flo-jet is a functional improvement to the original, as it has both idle and main jet adjustments. It will also fit up to the intake manifold with the addition of a short length of either 1/4-20 threaded rod lock-tited into the carb, OR better yet get the studs from Mcmaster-Carr that have 1/4-20 on one side, and 1/4-28 on the other (as the orig.). The big thing to do is change out the fuel inlet valve to the type as designed for a fuel pump application. I believe the B&S part number is 394683. Don't pay too much. $5 is just about right. Then just remove the original B&S actuator from the throttle shaft, and either swap the choke to the other side, or with the choke, there is a fairly rare part# that works perfectly for the opposite side actuation in the ZXB config. It is 394509, and will most likely cost about $12 apiece. Also, the beauty of this change over is that you can "borrow" the original throttle clamp and put it on the B&S. (like the one in your photo).IF you are looking for a carb to modify. MAKE SURE that it does NOT have the "half moon" mark on the casting at the fuel inlet. They are throw-away carbs. I will let you know if I have a spare air cleaner.Give me a few days.
Noel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nblack For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 10:16:20 PM
Registered-I

Hey Noel, YOU ARE AWESOME. I understand about the studs, but from that point on I'm lost. I don't know about carbs all that well and kinda think that if I got into too far I would end up skrooin the pooch.
I am waiting patiently for your reply on the air cleaner. Dave.