Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

15 hp olin valve questions

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1674 times

Old 02-05-2014, 10:52:48 PM
Subscriber

Default 15 hp olin valve questions

Hello im a newbie to this forum stuff but im working on a 15 hp olin right now and I trying to figure out the valve assembly on it I believe I have all the parts I have two full assemblys one has flat valve seats and the other is tapered what is the difference and how do thay go together thay where taken apart before I got them any help would be great thank u
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1391652038093.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	187051   Click image for larger version

Name:	1391654890095.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	187052  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 11:59:05 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: 15 hp olin valve questions

I guess there arn't many Olin valve experts out there. I can help, the whole thing goes on the side of the engine. LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to wlb For This Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 04:23:03 PM
Subscriber

Im just trying to figure out where the springs go if I have them all and how the giudes work i just hope I have all of the parts thay were torn down when I got them otherwise I would know!!! Just my luck! Its hard to fined anything un touched these days!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:53:09 PM
Registered-III

the valve for your olin should slide in the valve chest. the long tubular valve assembly should slide in the chest the yoke end goes in first, from the end of the chest that has the four bolt studs sticking out, this would be the front of the engine. the valve that has a long thin rod going through the tubular assembly is the intake valve. it opens with suction from the piston. the long tubular piece with the series of small holes is the exhaust valve. exhaust valve connects to the latch out assembly. when valve is inserted all the way into valve chest, the large coil spring is slid over valve from the rear end of valve cage. it appears the spacer is in the back of valve chest from your photos. this spacer slides on the valve next to spring. there should be two small threaded holes at the very end of the valve tube. compress the spring with the spacer until you can start the two bolts in the valve tube. the bolts should be square headed once they are threaded all the way in release pressure from spacer. the spring will push the spacer against the bolts and keep them from turning. this spacer is actually the rear valve guide the other guide is the machined surface just ahead of the valve spring. the air and gas mixer bolts on the valve chest at the rectangular hole on the side of valve chest it has two bolts. the cap on the mixer assembly points upward. this assembly has a round valve inside with a 45 degree seat, and a valve spring. your air choke goes on the bottom of the mixer assembly. the intake and exhaust valves on olins are onlt about an inch apart. the intake and exhaust valves move together as the engine runs. I hope this information helps? maybe you could help me im looking for 30-35hp olin parts. any info would be appreciated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Patterson For This Post:
Old 02-25-2014, 12:48:03 PM
Subscriber

thank you very very much frank that will help me alot this is the only olin i have seen around whare i live the only stuff i have is for a 15 hp i have two valve assemblys complete (i think) and a extra cylinder and thats it thanks for the info i will c how it works out!!!!