Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

My first showing

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2067 times

Old 06-21-2010, 04:37:46 PM
Registered-II

Default My first showing

I took my engines to my first show Saturday. It will be a day to remember for a long time. I have been working hard for a couple of months to get the 15hp Reid going. Also I decided to take my 6 hp F&M, a 7hp Economy, and a 208 F&M.

To start with I went down to the local store and got a gallon of kerosene and a jug of gasoline. The show was about 20 miles away so about the time I got there I realized I had left the gasoline sitting at the pump. OK, my brother was coming and he hadnít left yet so he could go and get the gas for me.

I first started the Reid without a hitch. Then a little later my brother showed up with the gas so I went to start the Economy, and I couldnít find my crank. So I tried starting it turning on the flywheels and got it going. So I then turned to the 208 it fires the first time every time, except on Saturdays when everyone is watching. I got so hot trying to start it that I finally gave up and turned to the 6hp F&M , at least it started without any problem. Then the Economy stopped and I couldnít get it going again.

Well then to top it off the Reid burped and stopped. So the show was officially ready to start and all I had running was the 6hp F&M. So I started to get the Reid cranked again. I turned off the gas and opened the compression release and rolled it through twice. Then turned the gas back on and closed the valve on the compression release and went to prime it. The best I can figure is I didnít have all the gas out of the cylinder. It fired and launched me over the back of the trailer and engine. My brother said I did a flip, I donít really know. After I landed and got back to my senses I knew things werenít right. I ended up breaking the fibula bone in my lower right leg.

My next show is in the middle of July, I sure hope it gets easier from now on. I donít think I can stand much more.

David
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2010, 05:32:33 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: My first showing

Welcome to the exciting and stimulating art of running engines at shows!!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:34:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,462 Times in 2,895 Posts

Way to go, Dave!

Most of us usually don't get hurt at shows. We're lucky enough to only get hurt when nobody's looking.

I'm glad you're still game. Get better quick!

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 06:46:51 PM
Subscriber

David

You have the fever !!!!!!!!! It is called SHOW FEVER. (kind-a-like Buck Fever when you go Deer hunting) You got in such a hurry and forgot things and didn't pay attention to what you were doing. Happens to the best of us at times.

Heal up and get back at it.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Tremble For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 09:37:49 AM
Subscriber

I have to laugh because I've been there done that except only strains and sprains for me. No brakes (yet).... Thats a story you will be able to tell around the camp fire for many years. One good show will erase all those bad days.
-Phil-
The Following User Says Thank You to Grape For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 10:31:04 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,584 Times in 605 Posts

OUCH hope you heal quickly those big engines can hurt you but so can the little ones.... i've a scar or two as proof........ john
The Following User Says Thank You to Farmer John For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 01:43:27 PM
Registered-III

The real question is: was anyone videotaping??? Sure would be nice to be able to turn that horrible incident into a little cash with America's funniest videos or one of those... Besides - would be good to post on sites like this to reinforce how dangerous riding a flywheel can be.

I hope you heal quickly! More importantly, I hope you "get back on the horse" and aren't afraid to start that engine any more! I ride the wheels on my 20hp Fairbanks diesel, but it fires so slowly that you can feel the shudder through the wheel first and jump off in plenty of time. I am not so open to the thought of riding a wheel on a gas burner with a hot tube!
The Following User Says Thank You to JBarnes For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 04:32:20 PM
Subscriber

I remember when I was a kid (70's and 80's). A local pumper was killed trying to kick start his engine. I think it was a Franklin. The report from the early 80's in the newspaper stated that he was thrown through the roof of the pumphouse, landing several yards away.

Please be carefull. Your foot should NEVER protrude through the spokes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tremel For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 04:33:26 PM
Subscriber

Unhappy Re: My first showing

My crowning achievement at a show was covering the spectators with black, sooty water, courtesy of a blown head gasket. I pulled in, set the trailer up, put the jacks down, got up on it, cranked the engine just like I knew what I was doing. It didn't start, although it ran perfectly at home the night before. I thought the compression felt heavier than usual, but decided to give it a little prime in the carburetor. Spun the crank, and BOOM! Ugly water everywhere!!

Pulled the spark plug out, and watched the water drain.

So much for "Mr. Engine"

Bill Miller
The Following User Says Thank You to BMiller For This Post:
Old 06-22-2010, 05:13:16 PM
Registered-II

Since I have been home I've been babysitting my 4 year old grand daughter, Kloe. She has been a little sick and couldn't go to the baby sitters. We've had a big time watching antique engine videos on you tube. She really likes the big ones better than the small ones.

This afternoon I just had to go out to the shop and see what was wrong with the F&M 208. So we hobbled out there, it was hard to keep up with her. So we started working on it; the mag was putting out a good spark and the plug looked good. But when I rolled it through with the intake valve pushed in, a little trash blew out the carburetor, so I decided to tear it apart.

I needed a common screwdriver and told Kloe to get me one out of my tool bag. She climbed up on the trailer and dug into the tool bag and out comes a common screwdriver. Anyway , I got it apart and low and behold a dirt dauber had built in the carburetor. To get it out I needed a smaller screwdriver to get down in it and scrape it out. So I sent her over to the tool board and told her to use her right hand and reach up to get the one I needed, and she picked it out. I believe if I can keep her away from her granny there is hope for her.

I got it cleaned out and back together, itís up and running again.

Thanks for all the kind words and stories. Iíll be back at it before long. I have been wanting to start the Reid again but right now I canít stand the heat from my wife and kids.

David