Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units Waukesha, Buda, Climax, LeRoi and others.

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units

Waukesha FC overhaul kit suppliers

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 651 times

Old 01-09-2017, 04:18:46 PM
Registered

Default Waukesha FC overhaul kit suppliers

Hello all,

I am in the middle of a rebuild of a Waukesha FC engine out of a Fairmont A-5 Speeder for the museum that I volunteer at. To make a long story short the previous mechanic took parts from about 4 engines and Frankensteined them together to get something that kinda ran. Reused all old seals and lots of Permatex. Needless to say it leaked like a sieve and burned oil like a middle eastern oil field.

I took the oil pan off and found sand in the bottom from a poor cleaning job after sand blasting

Now I am looking for parts and not finding a lot. One place quoted me over $1000 for new pistons rings and bearings not including gaskets or seals. Our organization has very little capital to play with so I am looking for a supplier who can work with us.

I am fortunate that I can do most of my own machine work except for the crank. All wear items in the engine are already bored at .030 over and most are way beyond spec.

Thanks in advance,

Kerry S.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2017, 05:07:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,096 Times in 872 Posts
Default Re: Waukesha FC overhaul kit suppliers

The FC 4cyl, part of an F 4cyl series that ran from 23/4 to 3 to 31/4 bores (not to be confused with later F-number 6 cyls) was probably one of Wauks most popular engine series...I have 19 variations on my list, which I'm sure has some with only minor differences but is almost certainly not complete...
The FC itself was almost certainly the most popular of the series---which means there're lots of people looking for the (any reasonable??) remaining parts...
If not already done, talk with the Wauk Eng Hist Soc, giving all info off your tag (wehs.net) about whether parts for any of the other F 4cyls interchange with your particular FC, AND about variations in FC parts themselves (I see concave and flat top pistons listed as factory duplicates; FC inseted rods were available to replace the poured, there're differences in truck and industrial engines, and I don't know which Fairmont used,etc, and've seen FC-numbers into the high 200s)...they have no parts but I understand they sometimes can make suggestions..
Without knowing what/where you've looked it's hard to make suggestions...with a railcar I assume you've tried NARCOA and similar...with a $1K offer I assume you've tried the profe$$ional obsolete engine parts dealers (there's a fair list on justoldtrucks under "vendors and restoration services")...
IH trucks used them (oldihc.org) much Ag eqpmt (old tractor/Ag eqpmt sites)...you might also try
Parts Of The Past-Tom Underwood in Lawrence Ks no website? phones from 2012 785-749-5231 and 913-749-5231...
George Miller Machine gmachine.com or gmachine@aaahawk.com (both old but if no good should come up on Google)...
Searching this and other sites for earlier Wauk FC threads, both for comments re' where other FC owners found parts. might have spares or might be source for another engine if yours proves too expensive to repair...
If you kept a list of places you tried, might be able to suggest more...you can email direct thru site....with sympathy, Bud
Old 01-11-2017, 11:35:24 PM
Registered-III

A feqw more random thoughts...
There is one old 4 cyl "F" that is NOT part of the "FC family"; it's the FU, a 4 x 51/4 or 53/4 (my catalogs differ) a completley different engine..
Per a 44 Sealed Power catalog the FC shares piston assemblies (piston, rings, pin, locks) with the FCL, FK and FKJ...it's also possible other F 4cyl series 31/4 may interchange (my catalogs differ on whether some other Fs are 3 or 31/4 bore)...
That catalog also says the FC, FCL, FCS. FK, FKJ, FL, FLJ, FS and FSJ share valves, guides, spgs and keepers, BUT it lists two separate sets with no info as to when the change made and no specs to compare the two...
A 1951 Fed-Mog brg catalog lists the early poured rod engines FC, FCS, FK and FL share one set of mains, while the later inserted rods engines FC, FCL, FCS, FK, FL132 (implying this engine was issued in 3 and 31/4 bores??), FS, FLJ and FWJ ) shared a different set of mains...
ALL this, of course, should be verified with WEHS before buying parts listed for other Fs, as parts catalogs are weak reede to rely on and are never complete......
Gasketstogo, a sponsor here, or olsonsgaskets can provide gaskets;
I've got websealinc.com for NLA seals, but I know nothing about them personally.
These other Fs were far less popular than the FC..
FKs were in some small trucks, small combines and early Case "R" tractors...FLs were in IH/McC-Drg combines, 71/2 and 10KW Kohler Light Plants and a Stewart 1/2 Ton, plus lots of other stuff...
Old 01-13-2017, 02:03:43 PM
Registered

Here are the model and serial number off my engine.

Model FC-86-R 3 ¼ x 4
NO. 904471 529

We have stacks of disassembled engines on the shelf in our basement storage so hard parts are easy to find but it's the wear items I am having trouble with. At one time the big railroads were selling these old speeders of for less then $100 each and we would up with a fleet of them at our museum. The cars were striped for parts and frames and wheels made into other things. Unfortunately nothing is labeled and no inventory exists. The people who did this are long since gone either left the organization or passed away.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:11:48 PM
Registered-III

I'm confused by your terminology---hard parts and wear parts...this's nothing personal, as I'm often confused...
You mentioned a piston guote; I'd consider pistons both a hard part and a wear part...
You (the Museum) has disemboweled several Railcars, have shelves of innards??...
Have you tried contacting the Railcar groups to maybe swap parts for a functioning FC engine??...or maybe get some kind of consensus on ID of your parts for a piece of the pile??...
Your 86-R is works code for accessories, such as ign, carb, and/or special items for Fairmont; WEHS can advise what was on engine when it left factory...
Incidentally, some Fairmonts came with a belt driven compressor...
FWIW, a 51 FEd-Mog brg catalog gives forging # BD-25A for some F-family early type (babbitt) rods, BD-25C and 68007 for some later inserted rods...
A 56 Fed-Mog Shop Specs ( still showing babbitt rods) gives crank forging # of 24504 for some early engines and BD-14A, BD-14K and K24504 for some later engines...
An 84 Fed-Mog brg catalog shows early engines with inserted rods; no rod forging #, same crank forging #, same crank forging #s for later engines...
OOPS---those two sets of valves??? one has drilled stem for pin keeper, other has two grooved stems

Last edited by Bud Tierney; 01-14-2017 at 05:54:02 PM. Reason: Addition/correction
Old 01-15-2017, 09:29:19 AM
Subscriber

We just finished rebuilding a Waukesha FC for a '36 Case RC tractor. The bores barely cleaned up at .040 over. We put new pistons, valves, springs, keepers, rod, main, and cam bearings. Even swapped out the cam, crankshaft, and timing gears from a parts engine that had been on a kohler generator. A beautiful new manifold came from Rosewood machine in Ohio.
Now it just needs a little paint, and it is ready for the tractor.

All of the parts to rebuild the engine, except the manifold came from:

http://www.jobbersinc.com/

The cost was a little over $2600.

Good Luck,

Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick McKay For This Post:
Old 01-15-2017, 03:03:46 PM
Registered-III

I would guess the $1K piston set offer mentioned above was from jubbers; there've been comments in the past that they think very highly of their parts...but, on the other hand, they seem to have a monumental inventory, coming up with things considered very hard to find, so...
RICK: Pick your brain a little??
Was your engine already fully inserted, or did jobbers have kits to convert from babbitted??
If already inserted, does the tag or stampings have a production date?? Many thxx!! Bud
Old 01-17-2017, 08:53:37 AM
Subscriber

Bud,

The engine we worked on had insert rods already, probably from new. It was in a 1936 case RC tractor, and I even found 1936 stamped on the block in one place, and the tractor serial number stamped on the block in another place. I have a reprinted RC parts manual, and it shows insert rods also. It's probable that Case spec'd the engines that way when they ordered them from Waukesha.

Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick McKay For This Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 08:06:37 AM
Registered

I have had great luck finding FC series engines and parts by going the Kohler genset route. The war department used these extensively and the engines can be found in almost new condition on these gensets as they were standby units. My personal generator has 44 hours on it from new and utilizes an FC series engine. There is a man on Cape Cod Mass who has several units in various states of repair. He is a marine engine fan and wants to sell out of all his Kohler/Waukesha sets. I think he has at least 6. I know his first name is Bob, and I will consult some friends to get his last name for you.