Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters Antique lighting fixtures, bulbs, switches, meters and controls.

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters

Fairbanks-Morse Shunt Wound Generator Rebuild

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1883 times

Old 07-22-2016, 04:36:52 PM
Registered

Question Fairbanks-Morse Shunt Wound Generator Rebuild

I have a Fairbanks-Morse Shunt Wound Generator Serial No,X33914 Frame16
IH Type 1.5 K.W. 2000 R.P.M. 40 Amps. This generator needs a complete rebuild. I have the frame and that is about all that is good. No brushes the windings are probably bad, but it does turn freely. The panel need all new wiring and switches and gauges.I know nothing about generators My question is can I afford to repair this generator being on a fixed income? Is it worth fixing it? Any advice and help would be deeply appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2016, 04:51:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,685 Posts
Default Re: Fairbanks-Morse Shunt Wound Generator Rebuild

Got any photos?

I certainly wouldn't condemn anything like windings, gauges, and switches without first carefully evaluating them for function, condition, and repairabity. Original is always better than new.

1-1/2 kW at 40 amperes and shunt wound sounds like a 32 volt battery charging generator. That's pretty cool.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:59:41 PM
Registered

It's a 37 1/2 volt battery charging generator. I'll try to post a picture soon.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:06:03 AM
Registered

Photo Re: Fairbanks-Morse Shunt Wound Generator Rebuild

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attach...1&d=1469267338
Here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	258758   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	258759   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	258760  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D L Wertz For This Post:
Old 07-23-2016, 10:37:49 AM
Subscriber

I sent an armature in to get rewound for a smaller (600 watt) Fairbanks 1 1/2 unit and they wanted $500.00 to repair it. Best bet is to check your winding and make your brush holders or sell it or shelf it for parts later. I also have a 3hp unit ,but I need parts for the control board and I shelved mine until I find parts. I would start by checking for shorts to ground and resistance in your windings. If you decide to sell it, let me know. I also have a schematic here somewhere, if you try fixing it yourself. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:10:06 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,468 Times in 4,177 Posts
Exclamation Re: Fairbanks-Morse Shunt Wound Generator Rebuild

For info on the 1-1/2 and 3 light plants and generators, look for F/M manual 2575 A thru E. I have blown up diagrams od the wiring for these gensets if you need them.

As far as parts - I have not heard of a parts source for them. I traded a friend a 3 light plant for a trailer many years ago. The plant made power, but he decided to have the generator 'cleaned up'. When he got the bill, he gave the shop the rest of the unit and said 'Keep it!" The shop wanted $1,000 for the complete rebuild! If the brush holders are still there, you might be able to match them up at a good generator shop. Wiring should not be hard if mice have taken their toll Switches and the wire wound resister are another story.

If you just want to run the F/M Special Electric engine that came with the generator, and the original coil is on the engine, you can simply hook a 6 or 12 volt battery to the coil power terminal and to the ground of the engine block. This will run the engine. A wire runs from the coil to the timer via a knife switch on the side of the coil box. The timer completes the connection between the battery and the coil. High tension lead goes to the spark plug. If your coil is missing, it simply is a Ford model T coil, mounted in a tin box on the side of the engine. ground terminal goes to the timer, power and high tension connect thru contacts in a wooden plate held in the box by 2 1/8" diameter pins.

Andrew
Old 07-23-2016, 09:28:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,685 Posts

It looks to me like the generator looks pretty good! I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it just works after being fitted with brushes and the like. Nice!
Old 07-25-2016, 02:18:44 PM
Subscriber

I suspect that generator wants to work. I looked up your location. You are not to far from coolsprings, and from Rough and tumble. You say you know nothing about generators, so I would take it to one of the above when they are open, but not necessarily for there big show, and ask who the generator guy is. With just a little bit of luck it will be running before you leave. Brushes can be made by cutting down brushes for modern motors, You just need the guy that says No problem, just get a set for a XYZ motor and sand them until they fit the holder. Coolsprings in particular has a lot of working generators and some people who really understand them. (And lots and lots of parts stashed away)

The Loyalsock show is very close to you, but I don't know anything about it. If you feel like a show this weekend, take it there and put a sign on it something like advice needed and your cell number.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank DeWitt For This Post: