Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters Antique lighting fixtures, bulbs, switches, meters and controls.

Lighting Fixtures, Switch Panels and Meters

Westinghouse Panel and Gauges - Repair?

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 3170 times

Old 10-08-2017, 03:05:08 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 28,377 Times in 2,564 Posts
Default Westinghouse Panel and Gauges - Repair?

I recently bought this Westinghouse panel. It is complete but in fairly sad condition, at least the gauges are. I have one course of action to get them repaired but thought I would ask the group here for thoughts? The glass in the two larger gauges are broken with damaged or missing needles as with the other internal components. I have a beautiful Westinghouse 4 pole 120 VDC Dynamo and matching electric lighting Otto engine that would go very well with this panel and have looked for years for a compete Westinghouse outfit, and finally have one, that at least I hope, can be rebuilt. Im not concerned if the internal components of the gauge remains original just as long as it looks the part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2536ab.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	581.3 KB
ID:	293139  

Last edited by Wayne Grenning; 10-08-2017 at 06:09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2017, 07:27:08 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Westinghouse panel and gauses - Repair?

This is a case of very careful dismantling to see what is broken and or missing. You do not cay if the meters are for AC or DC. There were different types of movements for AC and DC. If the ammeter is 100 Amps, as the scale seems to indicate, you may be missing a shunt.

So on a clean work bench with no iron filings about, start to dismantle the meters. They may be repairable with care. When doing delicate things like this with unknown springs lurking about I have a sheet of clean plain paper on the work bench and take photographs and put all the bits in a plastic box.

Mike
Old 10-09-2017, 03:02:49 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Westinghouse panel and gauses - Repair?

what a wonderful find. I agree with Mike. You need to get in there and see what you have and don't have.

The glass will be a easy fix. Determine the size and get some cut. If your local hardware store wont do it, go to a stained glass maker.

You can remove the dial and scan it and then clean it up with free software like http://www.irfanview.com/

The pointer will be a bit harder but wait until you get in there to see how much you need, and keep us posted.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank DeWitt For This Post:
Old 10-09-2017, 03:14:26 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,066 Times in 1,799 Posts
Default Re: Westinghouse Panel and Gauges - Repair?

Wayne,
What a jem!
Definitely repair.
Here's hoping the pointer is loose inside the case.
If I were going to show it powered up, the only change I would make would be to disconnect live front knife switch & fuses.

Did PO recently go over lettering, disconnect handle and center button with yellow enamel paint?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:40:52 PM
Subscriber

I hope you find that you can repair the meters but if not, you could install RC servos as the meter movement. The "needle" could be laser cut from thin steel. (I use a shop with a $30 min. for that price you would probably get 20 needles.) RC servos are inexpensive, and a number of controls exist to take a DC voltage in and move the servo to a certain position. All you would need is the correct shunt for the Amp meter, and a two resistor voltage divider for the volt meter.

Example controller https://www.electrokit.com/productFile/download/525

Example Servo https://www.tetrixrobotics.com/Servo...Rotation-Servo
Old 10-09-2017, 09:55:04 PM
Sponsor

I appreciate the help here!!

This is totally new to me. I'm an engine guy, but thought this diamond in the rough needed to be saved. Here are some better images of the whole panel (front and back) to help you see what I am getting into. I bring it home from Coolspring at the end of next week and will have a better look at it at that time. Again, not that I have a lot of exposure to these things, but have never seen a complete Westinghouse panel in this size range come up for sale.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Grenning For This Post:
Old 10-09-2017, 10:25:09 PM
Registered-III

Take a little work, but looks like it will be great after clean up. I am an electrical guy, so all that looks simple to me.

Point to ponder- Are you going to display the back? That helps determine if you replace the original fabric covered rubber insulated wire with reproduction wire, or go to supply house and get inexpensive, readily available thermoplastic wire.

I may have the cartridge fuses- depends on amp rating. The knife fuses are a bit harder to find, but what you have will probably clean up fine.

You are a rather ingenious guy. If you want to power up the knife switches and fuses, I am sure you could manufacture an appropriate shield out of Plexiglas or similar.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 10-09-2017, 10:53:34 PM
Registered-II

Greetings Mr. Grenning, Food for thought on your panel. Query vintage and/or antique Westinghouse gauges on Ebay. Similar sweep gauges show occasionally. It may be worth some risk. After some research, purchase a decent unit and use its internal parts as a donor. With your expertise, this project could be relatively mundane compared to other tasks you have taken on. Enuf Said.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Mosley For This Post:
Old 10-09-2017, 11:05:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,431 Times in 674 Posts

that's a pretty sweet panel.

I always think of the Mel Brooks Frankenstein movies when I see these things. "Throw the third switch!!! " I'd have to label one as the third switch.
The Following User Says Thank You to slip knot For This Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 06:40:14 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts

It looks like the current shunt for the ammeter is inside the meter because there are heavy cables going to the meter.

I think the caged thingy behind the voltmeter is the resistive divider to scale the meter. It must have been designed to dissipate some current because of the construction.

Someone has added the more modern porcelain screw-in fuse block to the field rheostat and it should be removed.

Unless the meter coils, pivots, etc. are rusted out, new needles could probably be fabricated to preserve the old heart shaped look. Otherwise, I think I would look for replacements.

On the ammeter, if you can't find an identical movement, measure the sensivity of what you have (if possible) and find one that is more sensitive (fewer millivolts full scale). You can fashion a voltage divider to be able to use a more sensitive movement with the present shunt.

It isn't easy to adapt a modern movement to those big cases because the old ones had to swing a heavier needle. The counterbalance would have to be modified to get any semblance of linearity or accuracy when changing the needle on a movement.

Although I am by no means an expert, I have "fixed" a few meters in my time. Contact me if you think I can be some help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 09:02:33 PM
Subscriber

It may be hard to find a donor meter. Yours are upside down so the needle moves in the opposit direction.

You go to Coolsprings. There are two brothers there every year who show a large closed trailer full of electrical antiques. They know this stuff cold. If you don't have this done by next June look me up (kohler light plant on a blue trailer with a light fixture desplay). I wil introduce you.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:57:35 AM
Registered-III

First of all, I'm jealous! I found a similar panel in the basement of a local business, but by the time I went back to make an offer it was gone. A clear case of "strike while the iron is hot".

One technique I've found useful when disassembling delicate mechanisms (like meters) is to do it inside a cardboard box with fairly high sides. That will usually keep the little parts......including that one "energetic" spring (there's always one).......inside and easily retrievable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Andreasen For This Post:
Old 10-22-2017, 05:24:30 PM
Sponsor

It's home in the garage.

Here are a few close ups of the gauges -- More images to follow later tonight:

Last edited by Wayne Grenning; 10-22-2017 at 06:21:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:40:55 PM
Sponsor

The inside of the volt meter

and the Ammeter.

Lots of mud wasp and mouse nests

---------- Post added at 06:39:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29:37 PM ----------

A quick search of google books and I determined they are a "simplified" gage and function without springs, TYPE K. They work on a balance between force of the coil, gravity and a steel "piston" in a dashpot filled with oil. Actually, this seems much simper than I thought.
All of the main parts are still there, the needle, arm, pivot point, counter weights, "piston" and glass vial for oil that it travels inside. Hopefully the coil is still good.

---------- Post added at 06:40:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39:31 PM ----------

A period description of the gages.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:06:53 PM
In Memory Of

Although the meters I have worked on looked the same, they all had D'arsonval movements so they must have been from a later time.

It looks like you have enough there to be able to restore the voltmeter but, from looking at the photos, the ammeter may be in worse shape.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:47:06 PM
Sponsor

I have another question, this one regarding my dynamo. How do I tell what size it is? I was trying to locate some sales literature that gave the size vs kw. It is about 15" tall, 16" wide x 19" long ( not including the shaft) . Shaft is 1 1/4" Weight some where around 300 lbs. A couple photos follow.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:44:12 AM
In Memory Of

Wayne:

If the dynamo is with the panel, I would think it would make 100 amps for a short time but it just doesn't look big enough to make that current at 125 volts. That would be 12.5kW.

One way to find out would be to get the outfit running and increase the load in steps, adjusting the field rheostat to keep the voltage constant. Note the temperature of the dynamo.

At some point, either you will not be able to increase the field current enough to keep the voltage at 125 or it will heat to the point where you can't hold your hand on it.

Just make sure to not go to the extreme of letting the magic smoke out of it.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:55:12 AM
Sponsor

Elden, The dynamo and panel are not matched. My guess is the dynamo is around 2 - 4 KW. Agreed, magic smoke definitely needs to stay inside!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:56:58 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,531 Times in 1,630 Posts
Photo Re: Westinghouse Panel and Gauges - Repair?

I just saw these Wayne.. ???

https://www.enginads.com/classifieds...143878/cat/all

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Van Hook For This Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 12:31:31 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden DuRand View Post
Although the meters I have worked on looked the same, they all had D'arsonval movements so they must have been from a later time.

It looks like you have enough there to be able to restore the voltmeter but, from looking at the photos, the ammeter may be in worse shape.
I think I see the ammeter needle at the bottom. Looks salvageable.

---------- Post added at 12:31:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Grenning View Post
Elden, The dynamo and panel are not matched. My guess is the dynamo is around 2 - 4 KW. !
Wayne, lacking any other information, a good start is armature wire size and insulation class. NEMA Class A has a maximum winding temperature rise of 140 Deg. F. 1892 predates class A. I remember seeing 104 Deg F rise on motors made in early 1900's.

I doubt that motor has been rewound. Probably dipped and baked. Dipping and baking consolidates windings and improves insulating qualities, but adding material reduces cooling.

From pictures, I estimate max of 2KW.
I would load it to 1 kw for an hour, stop it, and measure temperatures with infrared thermometer, proceed from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post: