Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Tractors on Auction at Heritage Park of North Iowa 2012 Consignment Auction

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 7002 times

Old 09-06-2012, 09:40:12 AM
Registered-I

Default Tractors on Auction at Heritage Park of North Iowa 2012 Consignment Auction

On Friday September 14th, 2012 Heritage Park of North Iowa, in conjunction with Fox Auction Company, will hold their 8th Annual Consignment Sale featuring antique tractors, implements, households, tools, literature, memorabilia and much more. Have an item to sell, be sure to get it consigned early to get the best results of our advertising and promotions. Interested in buying as the event gets closer you will be able to see items available via a link below.

http://www.heritageparkofnorthiowa.c...nsignment-sale. Click the 2012 Auction Items link to see everything on the sale.

A few of the tractor related items include a 20-35 Oilpull, 20-35 Nichlos and Shepherd, 27-44 Twin City, 22-40 Rock Island, 17-30 Minneapolis, 18-32 Case, threshing machines and many more
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to huberman For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 11:42:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 12,844 Times in 685 Posts
Default Re: Tractors on Auction at Heritage Park of North Iowa 2012 Consignment Auction

I see there are also several Twin City tractors that come from the Jim Ferguson collection that are now on this auction. They will also be bringing a Cletrac with a Buda engine in it. Jim had told me there were about 25 of them built. Jim took great pride in his collection. I always gave Jim grief about his tractors being primer gray and he needed to get them painted. Jim always got a grin on his face when I told him that.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Allan Severson For This Post:
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12:53 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,175 Times in 1,339 Posts
Default Re: Tractors on Auction at Heritage Park of North Iowa 2012 Consignment Auction

Thanks for adding Jim Ferguson in Allen.
Jim was a mentor to me 25 years ago when I became ill with O.I.D. (old iron disorder). He assured me that I would adjust and be just fine. He was a good man and a great friend. His dear wife Donna sent me a gift packet that left me fighting off the tears...in it was this photo I would like to share.
Left-to-right...
Myself, the late Jim Ferguson, Harold Linder, & Jim Anderson.
Four TC guys in a row!
So long old pal...Somehow I think we may see you again someday Jim
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remembering Jim Ferguson.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	144565  

Last edited by Tony Thompson; 09-11-2012 at 09:14:25 AM. Reason: undiagnosed mental disorder prevents decent spelling
Old 09-14-2012, 04:50:07 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,629 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Severson View Post
I see there are also several Twin City tractors that come from the Jim Ferguson collection that are now on this auction. They will also be bringing a Cletrac with a Buda engine in it. Jim had told me there were about 25 of them built. Jim took great pride in his collection. I always gave Jim grief about his tractors being primer gray and he needed to get them painted. Jim always got a grin on his face when I told him that.
Sounds like it could be a Cletrac Model R. If anyone here is going to the sale, maybe they could note down the serial no. of this Cletrac? It should be marked on a brass plate near the base of the steering column.

Many thanks

David
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to David Parfitt For This Post:
Old 09-14-2012, 10:02:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 12,844 Times in 685 Posts

ED23 and serial 1S10. We will try to get the name of whoever buys it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allan Severson For This Post:
Old 09-24-2012, 12:43:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,814 Times in 766 Posts

The Rock Island H22 22-40 is home at our place now. A friend was willing to bid for us since it was the same day as our Geneseo IL show so the first time we saw it in person was when we got up there saturday. We had planned ot go to the field of dreams auction til this came up, kinda glad we didn't go as the FA on it went way higher then we would have paid. An H22 was rare enough we really wanted it anyway, and it didn't hit me when I first heard the serial number over the phone, but this is also a Rock Island built in 1936, after production officially ceased in 35. The serial number is 36002, its unlikely many of any model were built as leftovers in 36. Its odd, because this should have been serial number 220xx, but it looks like they just stuck the 36 on any model, so I think they were just cleaning out parts. I had heard there was a '36 floating around, but wasn't expecting one to show up.

Anyway, a lot of engine crammed into what was basically the FA chassis. Waukesha CHS 4 3/4 x 6 1/4.

Got to take a look around Heritage park while we were there, very nice setup and a heck of a lot of interesting tractors and steamers packed in. Well worth a walk through if you have a chance.

Pictures walking around the barns

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=7e9e0a5505
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7659e.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	145593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7661e.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	145594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7656e.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	145595   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7666e.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	145596  

Last edited by Paul Searl; 09-24-2012 at 01:49:03 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:49:11 AM
Richard Sturdy

That's some tractor! Looks to have the engine which was adopted by Oliver for the 28-44 and later, the updated version became the Oliver 90 engine. They sound wonderful with a load on and will pull a house down - you have a real find there!

Tricky Dickie
Old 09-24-2012, 01:02:23 PM
Subscriber

I had been wanting one of the big Rock Islands since I read about them, and I have heard a story about a guy hauling one of the H22's out to thresh when when the neighbors new McD couldn't handle it and the old worn out RI handling it with ease. hopefully, we are going to have a few of these running well enough now that we can finally start belting them up a little and try em out.

I beleive you are correct on the Oliver 28-44, it is also the same as the Huber HS 27-42. the H22's catalog weight is only 5k lbs compared to the Huber HS 6250 lbs and the Oliver's 6400 lbs. I kinda think they underrated the hp on it in part because they were afraid the rear end components wouldn't hold up to the big engine. I know another H22 has a stripped pinion gear in it, and a lot of Rock Islands seem to have had a gear issue or two.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 09-25-2012, 03:01:48 PM
Subscriber

Are the Auction results posted anywhere online?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,761 Times in 840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camerons View Post
Are the Auction results posted anywhere online?
I haven't found any either; sure curious, but my checkbook is certainly glad I didn't make it out there.

Off thread, but did you make Menno, Cameron? Enjoyed a quick trip through the Minneapolis line up, but forgot to look for yours.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:33:31 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,917 Times in 3,057 Posts

I learned something new, I wasn't aware that there was such a version until this thread! I have Hubers and a FA Rock Island and even the 28-44 Oliver, but this animal seems to be a cross breed of all the above. Yes that CHS Waukesha is a real brute. If one compares it to the ZW keck, the main difference is the sheet metal and wheels. Makes one wonder who actually designed all the above units? I tend to think that one vender supplier did the basic design on all the above except possibly the Oliver, thence the similarity? F.J.W.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 09-25-2012, 10:11:11 PM
Subscriber

I've wondered about that too with the eagle 6A. the Keck though, you're right its right there as well, I hadn't realized it came with side panels til tonight. I think you are right that there was a common supplier. You're welcome to come check it out sometime, maybe I can talk you into coming up for our lessor knowns 2014 show. Any help I can get pinning this stuff down is welcome.

I do know where a 28-44 is though, so I need to do some comparing some time. I am really looking for a parts book for this, since i don't want to tear into it totally to see what gears match up where (also don't have an FA, just a parts book). I do know the pinion gear is the same parts number as the FA, and i am betting a lot of the rest matches up as well.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:03:56 AM
Registered-III

What are the differences between a CHS and CHK Waukesha?

Thanks
Tony B.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:09:19 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,584 Times in 2,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B. View Post

Thanks
Tony B.
Isn't it obvious, Tony .....one letter!

Sorry buddy, just couldn't resist!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 05:24:01 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyIron View Post
I haven't found any either; sure curious, but my checkbook is certainly glad I didn't make it out there.

Off thread, but did you make Menno, Cameron? Enjoyed a quick trip through the Minneapolis line up, but forgot to look for yours.
I did make it to Menno both days, the Minneapolis stayed home, still lacking a waterpump/governor. I did receive my parts on Saturday so I plan on working on it this weekend. On the other hand I did get to take the G Rumely out, and do some plowing.

Last edited by Camerons; 09-26-2012 at 05:52:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camerons For This Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05:32 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B. View Post

Thanks
Tony B.
CHK 5 1/8 x 6 1/4 Huber HK was rated 32-45

CHS 4 3/4 x 6 1/4 Huber HS was rated 27-42

I recall someone saying the CHK is about 4 inches longer over all and wider then the CHS, but the water pump was the same for the hubers. At a glance, I think most people would have a hard time telling the two apart without a reference. I had down the Huber HK as being equivalent to the RI H22 originally based on what I had heard, but it was actually the HS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 08:24:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,175 Times in 1,339 Posts

Paul,
I am really glad that unusual Rock Island found a home at your place...can't think of a more fitting place for it to be!
That tractor has been moving around my area for 30 years now. It was sold at auction on the west side of Albert Lea, MN around 30 years ago? AL is only 10 miles from me. It came to live for 20+ years right down the road from me (about 4 miles) in the small town of Gordonsville. This machine was at a local tractor show here at Glenville in the mid-90s looking just as it does now. I had asked about buying it a couple of times, but it was not for sale. It went from Gordonsville, MN to Forest City, IA around 2004???
Congrats on a fine purchase!
Tony
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 09-26-2012, 09:42:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Tony, Interesting to know it was probably another Minnesota tractor, especially that late in the game. I'd love to know the story on its original purchase.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:58:17 PM
Subscriber

Hadn't meant to turn this into the H22 thread, but thought I'd post one more post on it for a couple of reasons. Still haven't got to run it yet, actually, we ended up with the whole front axle apart and being apart; We discovered the bad way that those front axle bars are not bent flat iron, they are actually cast iron and when we hauled it back the angled one cracked. Learned why so many RI's are missing their front axles. When dad got it all apart he discovered that the spindles and bearings were extremely well worn, so we decided to take care of it all in one shot. Replaced the missing brake guide and release button, tightened up the clutch and did a few more minor things while waiting on the front end. Also realized someone had installed a motometer on it at some point, but it had been busted off. Might be a neat thing to add back on.

That brings me to why I wanted to make one more post on this thread. I was shocked to find that there are manuals for the CHS/CHK and a second one for the VIK/VIL/VIM/VIS being sold online. I hadn't looked in a while, so these might be fairly new, but I ordered both of them. they turned out to be nice clear high quality reproductions of the small (and I think much later) Waukesha ICK with the CHS/CHK and VIL/VIK/VIM/VIS on the cover. Same book, different cover, and pretty much totally worthless for those engines. I had gotten them through amazon, and got a full refund minus my return shipping cost from SSB, so I am out that for what i consider outright fraud. Needless to say, I am royally pissed off about it, so I wanted to warn anyone thinking of these that they are not at all whats advertised.

Last edited by Paul Searl; 10-14-2012 at 10:13:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 01-21-2015, 11:54:36 PM
Subscriber

And now, the rest of the story. Some of you may have caught my article this issue in Antique Power on the Rock Islands. Anyway, Marty, the grandson of the original owner, after reading the article contacted me. We had an excellent chat, and tonight he sent me some family photos of his dad and uncle with the H22. So far, these are the only photos of an H22 during its operational lifetime to surface so far. Although he was at the forest city sale, he said he was never really in the running.

The story goes that Arnold Wagner purchased the tractor new at the dealership in Albert Lea from his wifes uncle who was the salesman. The log book says it was bought for $990.95 plus $10 delivery on July 7th 1936 with a 3 bottom plow (which probably was a little small for this tractor). They had planned to buy the smaller H5, but were talked into the bigger H22. It was mostly a beltwork tractor, running the sawmill, a silage chopper and ran an Avery Yellow fellow seperator on the threshing circuit, replacing a Russel Steamer. A Farmall F12was bought a year or two after it for field work and was put on cutoffs at some point, the H22 stayed on steel. The H22 was eventually replaced by a Farmall MD that didn't do nearly as well supposedly. Nothing they ran could pull the H22 down supposedly, but the same load would kill the MD. There were also notes for a number of engine parts in 47, so it may have seen an engine overhaul then. After it as retired, it was shedded until ~1980, after that it sat outside for a couple of years until it was sold in he thought 83. Besides the ledger, two Rock Island books were found, but neither was an H series book. One was for a model G, the other for an F/FA so we now have to question if any books were printed. I have evidence two batches of H5's totally 54 or 56 tractors were run, and one run of H22's that may have totaled 24 or 25.

The first two pictures are from '37 or 38 or a little later, the third is from 63 with Arnolds son, a grandson and granddaughter.

This one in 63 you can see its much the worse for wear with the motometer now broken off, but with lights added.

and here is a video of us at Geneseo two years ago running a Yellow Kid separator. Totaly ironic that happened to be the separator of choice.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pic no 4.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	216586   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic no3.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	216587   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic no 2.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	216588  

Last edited by Paul Searl; 01-22-2015 at 12:12:05 AM.