Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

Ford model T "IPCO" Engine

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 4512 times

Old 02-19-2007, 10:21:57 PM
Registered-III

Default Ford model T "IPCO" Engine

My brother has just bought an old T Ford engine at the local swapmeet, and where the Ford script is usualy located on the left hand side of the block there is a large diamond shaped raised cast with "IPCO" written in it , with no mention of Ford anywhere on it. We had a good talk with some other blokes who have T knowledge but no one has seen one like it out here (in OZ) I recon I have seen one somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember where . We speculated that it may be just an aftermarket manufacture, (also sugested from a post I made in the US) but that is unusual here because there was no distribution for that sort of product here back then that we know of. We also wondered if it may be a truck or commercial engine or some such which may be a bit different to normal. The casting date says 1922 and the gearbox cover says 1923 so the engine and gearbox apear to be built at a simmilar time.

I have posted a querie on a couple of sites with no "definative" answer, only a sugestion it may just be an aftermarket product, althoug the chap who answered says it's not in his book of T bits manufacturers.

Anyone ever heard of these, or know who built them and why, where ect ?

Thanks bloke's,
Graham
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2010, 09:46:19 PM
Registered

Default Re: T model Ford "IPCO" engine

Hi There
A friend of mine here in Victoria has an IPCO engine block that sounds the same as yours
It was cast in 22 and was found to be in very poor condition with major cracks around the valve seats and one of the bores
He has since re-sleaved the block and has an OHV head to fit, so the valve seats need not be repaired
The casting looks good but the quality of the iron used must not have been as good as that used by Ford
Old 09-26-2010, 10:53:48 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,156 Times in 912 Posts

I assume you've seen the posts by Rod McKenzie, who has one in NZ, and the "Independent Parts Co, Woolworth Tower, NY" posts.
If I remember correctly, Woolworth Tower would've been a prestige address in that time.
Other posts (didn't note dates) said usual Model T clubs etc had no info, which sounds unusual unless could've been something made mainly for export, altho one post remembered one in the
US south somewhere.
Fascinating; there's bound to be info somewhere out there.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:21:12 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,156 Times in 912 Posts

Googling Ipco engine and Ipco motor (adv search, exact phrase) brought up Model T club forum hits which show pix of engine castings : "Ipco serial Number", and"Replaces engine number" with raised bosses for numbers to be stamped (both blank on pictured engine).
Also another similar thread in which a poster posted a copy of a small Ipco ad "replacement engines for model T's".
Some further info might be in an article in Vol 15, pg 45 of "The Vintage Ford" (an Au Ford club magazine?) referred to in those posts.
I would guess that Ipco/Independent parts Co having such a small presence on the web could mean they were actually a sales agent, contracting castings from someone else's foundry, rather than an actual mfr'r.
Too many mysteries, too little time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 06:44:38 AM
Registered-III

Thanks Bud,
I gave up looking for a reply to this querie "years" ago but just found someone had replied. My brother still has it and it seems it is a replacement by an outside parts house but goodness knows how it ended up here. It makes an interesting conversation piece though because we have shown it to quite a few T model experts but "none" have ever seen or heard of one like it before.

(I don't think I have been involved with resurrecting a thread from this far back ever, But what the ####)
Old 10-20-2017, 11:12:00 PM
Registered-I

Hi Gentlemen, My friend recently purchased a hardly run IPCO block in Georgia.
I know this is a very old thread, but am curious if anyone has found any more info on them. Our block was casted Mar 9 1922. Thanks Rick
Old 10-22-2017, 03:26:31 AM
Registered-III

I have a relative who is an authority on T's and has a large number of them. He was interested in the IPCO block and from what he knew they were an aftermarket supplier of all makes back in the day.He said he knew of a number around and they were reasonably well sought after as a curiosity piece.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:55:22 PM
Subscriber

Found an ad on MTFCA site for IPCO replacement block. Tried to copy but didnt work.