Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

"L185" International Truck Tachometer

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 595 times

Old 01-12-2018, 04:52:32 AM
Registered-I

Default "L185" International Truck Tachometer

My truck has a mechanical tachometer. Seems to function ok but after an hour or so it will break the cable.
Cable seems free and is well lubed.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2018, 12:32:37 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: "L185" international truck tachometer

How hard are they to repair?
Old 01-12-2018, 11:47:36 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: "L185" International Truck Tachometer

Try removing the tachometer from the dash. Turn the tachometer shaft by hand to see if there is excessive drag. If so drop a bit of non-gumming oil, or maybe something like "Lock Ease" around the shaft so that it can seep in between the shaft and the bushing. After letting the oil seep for a while try rotating the shaft to see if it's any easier to turn. If not repeat until the shaft rotates more freely. Reinstall and see if that does the trick. If not, it's ready for the rebuild shop.

There isn't really much going on inside those things, unless there is also an hour counter. If memory serves there's a magnet and a slotted drum. One is attached to the input shaft and the other is attached to the needle. When the input shaft is rotated the magnetic flux causes the shaft attached to the needle to want to turn too. But it can't because of the needle and the return/damping spring. So it simply moves a bit in proportion to the input shaft speed. About the only thing I can think of that could cause what you are seeing is a binding input shaft, one hopes caused by lack of lubrication. The friction may increase as the thing warms up, letting it work okay for a while before breaking the cable. The hour counter, though, involves a gear train where anything could happen.

Good luck to you.

---------- Post added at 10:47:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46:15 PM ----------

"How hard are they to repair? "

For the guy with the know how and the right tools, all is simple. For the rest of us, not so much.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 04:52:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,323 Times in 736 Posts

Hello all
Check the routing of the cable to make sure that there are no sharp bends or kinks. The gentler the curves in the cable, the better it is for the cable.
Clock oil is good for the taco bush and usually comes in a convenient tube with a little needle applicator.

Cheers Scott
Old 01-13-2018, 08:34:26 PM
Subscriber

You might check the "lay" of the inner cable. Right or left hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15510-TACHCABLE.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	300386  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Noli For This Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 08:12:28 PM
Registered-I

I'm not to interested in sending it to far away and all the spedo shops that are close say that they haven't worked on any thing analog for years. They also add that there are just no parts available anymore. Well I will be opening it up my self. At worst I will probably have to pay 50 bucks on eBay for another one.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:42:29 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,793 Posts

Is the tach binding up? I would check the drive cable housing for wear, especially if the drive cable itself keeps breaking in the same spot. If the tach is binding, try some electric motor oil on the input. Take a piece of the old drive cable and put it in an electric drill. Insert the square drive into the tach. Oil the bushing and drive it in both directions at a medium speed. drive in the proper direction to read RPMs and bring it up to about 40 MPH, and drive a while. Does the drill begin to bog down? if so, then dis-assembly will be required. to lube any internal parts, you will need a source of clock oil. This is resistant to oxidation and is a superior lubricant (often whale oil). do not use common oil, as it will gum with time and use. Clean the parts with carb cleaner and as a final before re-assembly, electrical contact cleaner. Then use the clock oil to lube dry parts.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:34:50 PM
Registered-II

"Well I will be opening it up my self."

Don't.

You will not accomplish anything beyond wrecking the thing, and then you will have nothing. If you can buy another, do so. If not, either send this one off to someone with the proper parts and tools to put it back together or else just put it back, non functional. I'm wondering why a gasoline engined truck has a tachometer anyway?
Old 01-20-2018, 05:44:00 PM
Registered-I

Well I opened up the old tach. There isn't much in there that anyone can work on themselves. The problem was that the bushing that the cable rides in was stuck. There was an oil port on the back of the tach. I cleaned it out and started filling with oil. I got the tach to start moving and kept working it till it all freed up and good as new. It was not necessary to cut open the assembly. I rolled the bead back on and it is all back together. I have included the video I watched on how to seal it back together. I hope someone finds it as interesting as I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2C4PUSQvQ

---------- Post added at 05:44:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40:24 PM ----------

The probable reason this truck has a tach is;
It is well know that you will throw the main bearings if you go over aboout 2,000 r.p.m..