Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

Universal Model C marine engine

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 730 times

Old 11-14-2017, 12:01:04 PM
Registered

Default Universal Model C marine engine

Hello All,

I`m restoring a Universal model C marine engine. I am looking for pistons and a head gasket for it. Is there any parts source left out there for these engines? Someone had previously repaired this engine with pistons out of a later Atomic Four. While both engines have the same bore, the later engine had a 1-1/16 shorter stroke which results in a different piston pin height. These pistons rise about 3/16 of an inch out of the top of the bore at top dead center. Even though the engine runs with these pistons, the compression increase makes the engine too hard to hand crank. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Craig
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2017, 04:37:11 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Universal Model C marine engine

Craig, Let me know what size dia. your pistons needs to be? I have two real good rods and pistons out of a twin cylinder marine engine. Thank you and have a nice day. Joe A.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:11:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,227 Times in 996 Posts

You may want to consider a spacer and two head gaskets. Gaskets to go will do copper clad head gaskets, would probably make a copper spacer for you. I believe they use cnc and water jet, prices are reasonable.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:46:05 AM
Registered-II

Greetings, Just a thought. If the pistons you are presently using have a positive deck clearance of .187 plus or minus. It indicates to me the first ring land is of considerable depth from the top of piston. Calculate/measure the thickness of the crown of the piston. You may be able to chuck them up in a lathe and reduce the overall deck height without doing anything detrimental to the piston durability. Worth checking into. Enuf Said.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:51:55 AM
Registered

Thanks everyone for the responses. I thought about the spacer idea, don`t if the customer will go for it. I`ll have to get it apart and make some exact measurements of how far the piston rise above the deck. I doubt that the piston head is thick enough to allow cutting down in lathe. One of the old car guys I know suggested that a company called EGGE machine could make custom pistons with the right dimensions. Anyone deal with these people?
Thanks Again
Craig
Old 11-16-2017, 11:09:38 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,227 Times in 996 Posts

Egge does a lot of custom pistons, it all depends on the budget. If they don't have a pattern it will get expensive in a hurry.