Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other air cooled gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

Sachs Dolmar Ignition Woes

this thread has 59 replies and has been viewed 11584 times

Old 07-17-2016, 04:11:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: Sachs Dolmar ignition woes

I've checked the pressure and vacuum and it holds both. I also did a pressure test on the fuel line and it's also good. I've tried tuning the carburetor to different settings balancing between the L and idle screw.

I had to advance the timing to get it to start. I found that it would start anywhere between 1/2" to 1 - 1/8" advanced (outer diameter of flywheel). At 1 - 1/8 the cord would pull back pretty bad so I set it to about 7/8". I'll try 1/2" again but I'm pretty sure it idled the same there also. I couldn't get it to start at any less than 1/2" advanced.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2016, 07:31:27 PM
Registered

I tried the timing advanced 1/2" and it still isn't right. I think I'll have to get a timing light. I've been messing with this ignition for a while and can't seem to get the saw to run right. It ran fine with a different ignition.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:27:37 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,033 Times in 808 Posts

How does it run with everything in the stock location? You shouldn't have to advance it that far. I've never had to advance it more than the ignition plate would allow.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:06:19 PM
Registered

Hi, My first post here but thought I should say a big thank you to bigGURN for his fix outlined in post #2 . Roughly following it I just managed to get my Dolmar 152 running again after the Bosch ignition packed up a while ago. I did think I might have to fork out £80 ($100) on a replacement saegenspezi ignition from Germany after the foggysail fix (found elsewhere on the net) failed (resulted in a spark but was intermittent and too weak to start the saw).

It appears the Nova II module isn't so easily sourced here in the UK (just "Nova" marked units are available but without knowing the difference to the "Nova II" and the fact they are twice the price of alternatives I gambled on single terminal (metal body serves as the -ve leg) SIG-01 unit as it was cheap ($8) and would arrive quickly (ordering a Nova II from the USA was the next step if the Sig didn't work). I chose to mount the unit externally (underneath the top cover) rather than cutting the Bosch module off the stator plate to make room for it under the flywheel. I did run a ground wire from the coil mounting screw direct to the body of the Sig rather than rely on a earth from the case.

Having done some reading about these universal ignition modules I was concerned that it might not work as they nearly all state that their not recommended for use with flywheels with multiple magnets which these Bosch flywheels do appear to have? bigGurn's success and now my own suggests that the multiple magnet isn't actually an issue - at least not with these particular Bosch flywheels.

One more point, as bigGurn mentioned, I too had to advance the ignition as far as it would go to get a strong spark and to start the saw. I do intend checking the timing with a light and degree wheel at some point but I'm guessing that as the saw starts easily without kicking back and runs perfectly (not under load this far) I'm guessing it can't be very far from being close to the original 26° BTDC ? .

Should a test under load not go successfully (hopefully this weekend - if I get an opportunity this week to check over the rest of the saw) I will be sure to let you all know..

Thanks again to bigGurn for taking the time to post the fix I'm sure it must have helped a great many people like myself that have suffered with a failed Bosch ignition....
Old 04-03-2017, 04:10:01 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,033 Times in 808 Posts

I pleased to hear it worked for you. I've done a dozen or so of these and have yet to experience an issue. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 01:48:31 AM
Subscriber

yes thanks so much for this info I repaired a dolmar 144 I think it was but was able to imbed the cap back into the case and used araldite resin to imbed timming was the same a great fix thanks again
Old 04-18-2017, 09:16:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,900 Times in 2,311 Posts

It's pretty cool how the talents here can fabricobble things back to life. My cap replacement is working fine as I used it a few weeks ago after some high winds and a neighbour lost a 20 inch ash. I whittled that thing to a pile of sawdust for him in short order. Then my V4 powered splitter and he now has firewood for a few years.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:27:17 AM
Registered

Hey guys,

I'm new here in this forum, I have a dolmar 153 and had the same problems with the coil as you guys.

So I fixed the nova2 module inside the coil as biggurn has showed, i have a great spark but the engine give no life at all.
So I think it's the time that is wrong i have no idea how to fix that can somebody explain how to set the engine an the spark on the right position?
I am working already a few ours on this problem, so if someone can help me i am very happy thank you so much.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:06:04 PM
Registered

Hey, what paul 99 says about 26 BTDC how do know that? And are there points on the flywheel where you can see it?
Maybe someone want to take the time to explain it?
I send the pictures so it's easier to talk about it and if I did it not right please tell me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	287976  
Old 08-05-2017, 03:14:22 PM
Registered

The yellow lines, I made new 1 for the start/stop switch and the other 1 from the coil to the nova2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	287977