Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other air cooled gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

Humbling, HDC and HDA Walbro

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 1793 times

Old 03-19-2017, 09:32:21 PM
Subscriber

Default Humbling, HDC and HDA Walbro

Well, I have spent a lifetime learning and fixing things with a fair amount of success. Homelite xl chainsaws are my latest adventure. I have fixed many small engines just not many 2 STROKE engines. Rebuilt boat motors and swapped out new 2 cycle carbs bought off ebay because you could buy them cheaper than rebuild them. That came to an end with xl homelites, if you can find a new carburetor it costs more than a saw is worth. I got a buddy that owns a mower and saw shop, he has a barrel full of 2 cycle carbs that could not make the show. He has been in business for at least forty years and told me there are(some) that just won't run. I got four more for the barrel. I've always heard there are mechanics and there are parts changers, I've always thought of myself as a mechanic, could I have been wrong all these years? My hats off to all you 2 Cycle wizards. CK
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2017, 11:27:43 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Humbling, HDC and HDA Walbro

With todays nasty gas, there are some carbs you just can't get clean even with an ultrasonic cleaner.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:19:25 PM
Registered-II

I have been running super xl and automatics for 50 years, and started doing my own work on them.---I now have many different brands of 2 stroke saws and weed eaters to work on and trust me, some of them can be super picky as to how they are set.----The so called gasoline the govt. has forced upon us does NOT go well with 2 stroke motors, and I have not found a decent replacement blend that dont contain alki.!!!! thanks; sonny
Old 03-22-2017, 08:43:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,433 Times in 613 Posts

Aviation gas may be an option. At this time I don't think there is any approved alcohol containing av gas sold. Its not cheap but it stores longer than auto gas ever did. I don't know that the octane ratings on both fuels are done the same way, motor vs research average. Av 110LL works fine in small engines of any kind.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:05:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,577 Times in 723 Posts

"With todays nasty gas, there are some carbs you just can't get clean even with an ultrasonic cleaner."

I've had good luck spraying or soaking ethanol damaged carbs in CLR, then rinsing with water and blow dry with compressed air. Follow that up with a good carb cleaner like Carb Medic. If at first you don't succeed use the CLR again. Only soak long enough until the white or green corrosion is gone.

Most carb cleaners won't touch the corrosion left by ethanol contaminated gas as it's not a petroleum product.

I now use only premium non ethanol gas mixed with Briggs & Stratton's Fresh Start additive for all my small engines and haven't had a carburetor problem ever since. I don't drain the gas tanks or top them up for over winter either.

Bill
Old 03-22-2017, 10:58:27 PM
Registered-II

Sounds good , guys!!!! thanks; sonny
Old 03-24-2017, 05:46:24 PM
Subscriber

I feel like the carbs were clean after the ultrasonic cleaner and the carb spray. I don't know a lot about pop off pressure (" super picky as to how they are set" ). I've fumbled around with different needle leaver heights with little results. Usually they seem to flood at too high settings. Not knowing a lot about 2 cycle cause and effect is another problem. An example, my saw shop buddy told me to spray carb cleaner behind the flywheel when running, he said the engine will smother down with a leaking crank seal. I'm sure there are many ways to diagnose problems. If you suspect something, my problem is I don't know what to suspect. I really think the check valves I can't get are the answer to the carburetor problems, but that is only a guess. There does not seem to be much in the way of explanations when it comes to 2 cycle carbs on the net. Thanks for reading, CK
Old 03-24-2017, 06:18:47 PM
Registered-II

Walbro made a tool for setting the needle lever height. Also use the correct spring under that lever or you are just asking for problems.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:58:05 PM
Subscriber

HI, I have the tool, but don't know how you could determine the spring unless you use pop off pressure. At this point I feel like the tool. CK
Old 03-25-2017, 07:39:50 AM
Banned

Some saws run Ok on av gas, but the stuff does burn a little slower than auto fuel, and the lack of adjustable ignition timing means a high rpm saw might do better on auto fuel. Some do, some dont.