Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Windows 10

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 3055 times

Old 10-31-2015, 06:01:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,151 Times in 453 Posts
Default Re: Windows 10

I upgraded my 8.1 to 10 on July 29. I like it so far. I dumped the edge browser for Firefox. Much quicker. Cortana got dumped right off the bat. The photo section is much improved with pic editing included.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2015, 08:14:23 AM
Administrator

Thanked 12,296 Times in 2,118 Posts

After getting nosy little nagging messages from Microsoft about a FREE upgrade to Windows 10 from a perfectly fine Windows 7, I gave in and downloaded it. It appears that 1984 for my computer is here! At least it appears that way from the settings options. All mine are set to NO! They want to move in, get comfy and settle down for a good sniff.

You update computer software to keep it running smoothly and keep the bad guys out. In this case, they give off fumes that make one think that Microsoft might just be the bad guys right along with Google. There IS NO FREE lunch.

I don't want free APPS in my computer. If I want an app, I will install it myself. Now I have to go in and seek out six tons of bullshit and decide whether I really want it in there or not. Yuppification is here - Aaaarrrggghhh!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:29:26 PM
Administrator

Thanked 12,296 Times in 2,118 Posts

My desktop lived through this install and after tweaking a few settings, it might not be so bad. I'll give it a month to shake out and then my notebook will be upgraded.

UNINSTALLED
Old 11-05-2015, 07:04:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,864 Times in 2,965 Posts

I think the only way I would try upgrading to 10 would be to totally clean my file system then make a global backup (system and everything), making sure my recovery disk is good.

I will then physically remove the backup drive and replace it with a freshly formatted one.

THEN, I would do the upgrade.

If the new version stinks-up the place, all I -should- have to do would be to format the hard drive then restore the previously made backup.

As it is, I think I'll stick with 7. The upgrade probably isn't worth the hassle.

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 11-05-2015, 09:36:47 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,401 Times in 599 Posts

You may get the upgrade sooner than you think and not on your schedule. See http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...w-gear/#story2.

MS says, "Early next year, we expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a 'Recommended Update.' Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device." The post goes on to say that users will have the opportunity to stop the Win10 installation process.
The Following User Says Thank You to DustyBar For This Post:
Old 11-05-2015, 11:19:58 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
My desktop lived through this install and after tweaking a few settings, it might not be so bad. I'll give it a month to shake out and then my notebook will be upgraded.
Harry, remember what Sdowney posted on other thread? I checked, it does say that. There goes YOUR privacy

sdowney717
Default Re: Windoze Ten?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 10, MS states they have rights to read your personal emails and personal files, meaning if desired they can view what your writing.
This is also good for government if they want to know what is on your machine. It is so good, they can view your hard drive remotely at will, no need to go and get your computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/news/3768...ml#post3123413

Quote:

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing the use of the services”.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 11-06-2015, 11:29:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,137 Times in 1,509 Posts

Back to post 15# I down loaded the GWX so far so good it stopped the pop ups for the windows 10 up grade and they can not cram it down my throat now it can be reversed if I so desire .Thx Dusty
Old 11-06-2015, 01:15:21 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,401 Times in 599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onan Dan View Post
Back to post 15# I down loaded the GWX so far so good it stopped the pop ups for the windows 10 up grade and they can not cram it down my throat now it can be reversed if I so desire .Thx Dusty
Windows Secrets has a good weekly e-mail newsletter. I've subscribed to it for at least 10 years. They have free info then more articles if you subscribe. Much of it is security oriented. www.windowssecrets.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DustyBar For This Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 01:46:36 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,662 Posts

HI, EVERYONE. ENJOY YOUR WINDOWS 10.
> The more that technical types examine Windows 10, the less of a good thing it seems to be. For ordinary users, that is. For the software giant of Redmond and the National Security Agency, however, Windows 10 might be the answer to a dream.
>
> Researchers have found, for instance, that even with every data-sharing setting turned off (all 13 pages of them) and no programs running, Windows 10 contacts some 50 servers in Redmond somewhere around a staggering 500 times an hour! This is all due basically to a special backdoor that cannot be closed.
>
> Could this be for technical reasons? While some monitoring might be helpful, such intensity makes it highly unlikely. So perhaps Microsoft is actually partnering with the NSA to collect – who knows? Furry fan fiction? Surf history? Email addresses? Camera stills of users’ naughty bits? Audio? Keystrokes? All of the above?
>
> Being in bed together with Big Brother would make sense, given the sneaky ways Microsoft keeps steadily moving to make everybody adopt the new OS, or at least its spyware features, like it or not. If users relent or do not actively prevent this from happening, they’re very likely stuck. Not only is Windows 10 hard to uninstall, but once up and running, Windows Updates cannot be turned off by home users. For them, Windows 10 updates are mandatory as well as automatic.
>
> Not only that, but unless users have disabled the default Wi-Fi sharing option, Windows will steal bandwidth to run peer-to-peer torrents to send those updates to other users. Those updates, by the way, include the entire Windows 10 installation package, all 3.5 gigabytes of it to any Windows 7 or 8 system which has not had the specific “updates” to do so uninstalled (click here for more information). Clearly, that’s why they need torrents.
>
> It would be a relief to shrug all this off as too much paranoia. But in a post-James Bond world where it was just discovered that the CIA is financing a women’s cosmetic product startup to find ways to surreptitiously collect DNA, anything may be possible.

http://www.swcp.com/2016/windows-10-spying-unstoppable/

Windows 10 spying is unstoppable | Southwest Cyberport

More tricks to get Windows 10 installed everywhere

swcp.com
Old 04-23-2016, 03:25:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,370 Times in 1,582 Posts

Well when I first got a computer I had the phone line plugged into a little box with a double pole single throw switch so when I put the computer to sleep it was unhooked from the line totally.
Could you do that to the cable line or phone line of high speed to help keep someone out of it at least while you were away?

So from the sound of this, a person on dial up would never get anything done on windows 10 because it would be in perpetual update mode.