Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Software Companies Taking Liberties With Your Computer

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 2059 times

Old 09-05-2017, 10:52:45 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Software Companies Taking Liberties With Your Computer

I have two major suggestions to make. One, get rid of Microsoft. You can get a good, stable and reliable release of Ubuntu Linux for FREE. Linux requires a bit more doing than Microsoft but the advantages you get makes it more than worthwhile. You can download the version of Ubuntu that suits your machine and burn it to a bootable DVD. Pop the DVD in your drive, reboot the machine, and you are running Ubuntu as a trial - nothing will be installed on your machine until you tell it to. I think you'll love it and want to use it as your main OS. And if you have programs that are Windows-only, there are various solutions available you can use. The easiest approach is to set up a dual boot system that allows you to select at startup which OS you want for that session.

Two, what are you DOING banking etc. online? I do not conduct any personal business online. I make everyone send me monthly statements and I pay my bills either in person or by mail. I have never heard of anyone hacking an envelope and a stamp. Not as convenient up front, granted. But when, not if, you get hacked that little extra effort will pay tremendous dividends.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 02:26:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,158 Times in 1,485 Posts

I think back in 14 when I bought this machine I am on now I was going to try that Linux and at that time it was no longer compatible with a dial up internet connection. Has that problem been solved or?
Old 09-06-2017, 09:55:23 PM
Registered-II

"Has that problem been solved or?"

I don't know but I very seriously doubt anyone is doing much for dial up internet any more. Dial up has gone the way of floppy discs, where computer and s/w designers are concerned. Linux is basically an all-volunteer operation and I suspect they will focus their efforts on the most modern systems. I know back when I was on an older machine I was unable to update my OS with the next release, because I did not have a sufficiently up to date machine. I don't particularly like the idea but it's not up to me.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:56:31 PM
Subscriber

I've been running ESET myself with no complaints either. small fee keeps my computers running somewhat trouble free.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:24:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,169 Times in 922 Posts

S100----like you, we don't do anything personal online, no bamk. no credit cards. Even if the recipient has gazillion dollar security, I know I don't, and I don't trust anyone in between. Like things left off a car can't give trouble, things not online can't be stolen online...
(Sigh)-unfortunately, a certain amount of mail is hacked, officially and unofficially, but you're generally safe as long as you avoid contact with whoever and /or whatever is on past and current brownlists, and don't let any talcum get into the envelopes ...
Old 11-22-2017, 12:20:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,933 Times in 2,090 Posts

Session Replay Scripts

"Lately, more and more sites use "session replay" scripts. These scripts record your keystrokes, mouse movements, and scrolling behavior, along with the entire contents of the pages you visit, and send them to third-party servers. These scripts are intended for the recording and playback of individual browsing sessions, as if someone is looking over your shoulder."

A brief overview:
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv...es_use_se.html

A good description:
https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2017/1...eplay-scripts/

A list of sites using session replay scripts:
https://webtransparency.cs.princeton...lay_sites.html

Luckily, this is easy to defeat. Adding AdBlock Plus to Firefox or Chrome will block these tracking sites. Adding NoScript to Firefox offers a much higher level of protestion, but is difficult for many people to configure.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:10:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,025 Times in 473 Posts

I was on line this morning. Bidsquare had an auction I wanted to look at. Lunchtime I looked at the weather site and a bidsquare add at the top of the page showed all of the items that I clicked on to get a larger view. Only those items out of 100's in the auction. I am being tracked!!! If they are tracking my key strokes , they could steal every thing that I have. Ron
Old 11-22-2017, 04:21:46 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,298 Times in 974 Posts

That is why I use an old version of FireFox and will as long as it works.

I can decide what cookies to accept, and if I want them always like important log ins, or just for a session so I can do things like look up prices of stuff.

I believe you can set up the newer browsers to only accept all cookies you want and delete all the others every time you shut it down. Not as nice, or easy.

They are making it harder to keep things to yourself.

Then there are things like smart phone apps. That very popular game it seemed like everyone was playing last year opened the entire phone to people that may have wanted to look or listen.