Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Best hard drive

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 3801 times

Old 03-01-2014, 12:06:28 AM
Registered-II

Default Best hard drive

For $150.00 or less, who is making the best( most reliable) hard drives?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2014, 10:19:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,114 Times in 2,086 Posts
Default Re: Best hard drive

Go with the Solid State drive. You can get some huge ~3 terrabyte drives for $150 or less. I saw a 1tb unit for $89 somewhere. Although with the newer 7000 rpm disc drives they are plenty fast and very cheap now.

*Note that if you're running an XP machine, XP might have a problem supporting anything larger than 1 tb. This does depend on your particular machine though.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 03-01-2014, 11:09:22 AM
Registered-II

I haven't seen any ss drives much beyond 225G. I'm looking for another 1T drive for a later model intel quad core machine.

Unfortunately, not the latest iteration, but when used for my usual regimen, it has worked fairly well.

IRC, a ss drive of that capacity will be above that figure.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:48:18 PM
Registered-I

I use Western Digital for spinning-disk drives. Had a really bad run of Seagates a few years ago, Barracuda 7200 RPM models. Three failed with bad spindle bearings, the second two being replacement for the original failed disk. I disassembled the final failure since I didn't plan on returning it, bearings were seized so tightly that I could only turn the platters with channel lock pliers.

For SSDs, just go with a good brand. I like Intel, Kingston and Samsung. Installing an SSD in an older machine will get you a few more years out of it, it feels like a brand-new machine a lot of the time. If you're using Windows XP, make sure to install the drivers that come with the SSD or it'll wear out prematurely.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:57:33 AM
Registered-I

Very few reasons to not go with a SSD now days, capacity and cost are the only two that are usually brought up.

My gaming PC with a SSD can go from Power on to surfing the Net in something like 12 seconds and Shut down in less than 5 seconds. Programs open the instant you click on them too and are ready to go!

I still use spinning drives for back ups. Some are always powered and connected and some are stored in bubble wrap and boxed away.

For brand of SSD I usually go to NewEgg.com and just read all the user reviews and judge the quality off of that. Think my newest one is a samsung.

Believe this is my first post also, just got home with my first engine! A Sattley 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 HP
The Following User Says Thank You to 1320Fastback For This Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 05:44:54 PM
Registered-II

high capacity SSD is very expensive. Can't do it.

One recent web article claiming Hitachi has the lowest failure rate in standard spinning drives. Enterprise style?

Not sure what that means.

I use the laptop for most web surfing, hours at a time & it's been doing very well, 5 years so far, but Fs up once in a while, but I don't think any of that is related to the HD.

Probably need a clean install of windows.

The desktop is where all the heavy lifting is done...photo files starting @ 20MB before adjustments, final file size with all the fixins is abou 85MB per shot. Then a little video work with files in the gigabyte range.

I run this machine for about 5 hours a day when this stuff needs to be done, otherwise, it's off for a week at a time or longer.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:42:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,469 Times in 3,591 Posts

Don't mean to derail this thread, but Welcome Aboard SmokStak 1320Fastback.

I assume (dangerous I know) by your user ID that you like racing old Fords.

Sounds like you picked up a good engine there to play with too, so welcome to that hobby as well with the first of many engines.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:47:21 PM
Registered-I

Thanks Otto-Sawyer! I used to take my 68 to the local drag strip but it's now a strip mall and the Stangs now yard art.

My last spinning drive that failed was a Hitachi, thankfully it didn't catastrophically die but instead started to stall and I could hear a click click click and took that as a warning.

For $150 I think I might get 2 decent sized spinning drives, one internal and one external. Load the OS and most used programs on the internal and the external as a back up that is powered and updated as often as required.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Is their a way to Edit a post? For got to add:

As far as brand its really hit and miss (pun intended!) LOL!

Theirs so many hard drives being made everyday that their is bound to be bad ones from every manufacture.

I think it's best to have a on site (off site is even better) back up regardless of drive brand. I would take 2 generic drives any day over 1 name brand drive.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:07:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,890 Times in 4,275 Posts

Don't know about now but in past I bought a westerndigital 80 gig hd , it died in about 6 months, read online alot of other people with same drive had same problem.So I've stayed away from that brand. I've had good luck with Maxtor and always bought them, but seagate bought them out. I'ld stick to the old big name manufacturers,and avoid the new comers till they have a proven track record.

Most harddrives have ball bearing to support the disks, all ball bearings eventually wearout (~4-5 years ?? of heavy use) . One of my old Maxtor's had hydrodymanic bearing instead of ball bearing, it's stiil running but I don't use that machine much.

Other thing I noticed is some computer cases don't provide much cooling for harddrive and they can run hot, that's bad for life.Had one die like that, I suspect it was because it didn't cool well. Another time I had one hd propped up against case and noticed it was hot, then few months lotter it died. Now I always position a 3" fan to blow cooling air over the hd, nice and cool hd and no more failures. I just salvaged fan and power connectors from an old computer, can mount fan with silicone rubber for glue.

Other thing is when I bought a 7500rpm drive I noticed it ran hotter than the 5000rpm ones.
Just my observations.

Last edited by len k; 05-06-2014 at 01:19:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:26:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,187 Times in 1,494 Posts

I was given a Dell over the weekend that was functioning but the family upgraded. The wife insisted on keeping the hard drive for fear of her personal info getting out. Which she knew I had no way of getting it out but someone else could if they got a chance..
So I have a case without a hard drive. Please forgive my ignorance, but the "windows" program is on the hard drive right?
So if I get a hard drive and install it, I need to have a operating system to put on it. If I want to use something besides Uncle Bill's program, how can I get it besides the internet? I have dial up. I have thought about trying Red hat or something else.
And this machine would be good to try that with as i have no money in it and could use a good machine.
Speed is not that imperative or I would not be on dial up.
It would be nice to get all the program I need on a cd or flashdrive so i can upload it into the machine myself.
Dont have alot of experience at some of this stuff.