Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Best hard drive

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 3799 times

Old 01-31-2016, 11:02:31 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,002 Times in 571 Posts
Default Re: Best hard drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmajs View Post
I use Western Digital for spinning-disk drives. Had a really bad run of Seagates a few years ago, Barracuda 7200 RPM models. Three failed with bad spindle bearings, the second two being replacement for the original failed disk. I disassembled the final failure since I didn't plan on returning it, bearings were seized so tightly that I could only turn the platters with channel lock pliers.

For SSDs, just go with a good brand. I like Intel, Kingston and Samsung. Installing an SSD in an older machine will get you a few more years out of it, it feels like a brand-new machine a lot of the time. If you're using Windows XP, make sure to install the drivers that come with the SSD or it'll wear out prematurely.
you're absolutely correct, I never bought any Seagates, too much bad news on the forums.
I buy used drives off ebay. Mostly WDC, Hitachi, the good drives have fluid bearings, no more ball bearings. They have all been lasting a long time.

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/f...aper_FINAL.pdf

I like to buy bigger drives, and highest speeds I can afford. Some drives are advertised low usage for archiving.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2016, 11:54:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,890 Times in 4,275 Posts

To guarantee I wipe the hard drive clean of EVERYTHING, I like to zero the drive and format it with self booting formatting software that comes from the hard disk manufacturer. That way there is no chance some virus or something that has infected windows can survive. This is because the the disk boots to a known clean OS ( which is typically a variation of DOS). I know this type software exists for Maxtor Brand Drives, it's called MaxBlast, typically versions 3,4,5. I run Maxtor disks and use Maxblast.

Don't know if Maxblast will format another manufacter's drive. Think I "fooled" it by also putting a Maxtor drive on the computer so software will not refuse to work. I forget the details, have to play with it.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:23:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,114 Times in 2,086 Posts

^ I have a 20 year old Maxtor that I keep putting in new computers as a second or third drive. That thing hasn't sneezed and I bet there's 50,000 hours on it.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:29:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,493 Posts

So far the hard drive swap i did on a dell was a flop.
I got another Dell and it works ok but only has explorer 8 on it and ebay does not support it and it wont work. The main thing I need the second computer for.

What I am wondering is if I could get someone to send me a cd copy of Fire Fox and I can load that on it and use it that way.
I like it on this machine,seems to work well. But I don't know the file size and on dial up it could take a long time to download.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:18:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,493 Posts

I bought a flash drive at Office depot for 5.99 on closeout. a 32 gig.
I took it by a computer shop and they put something on it so i could get to the site easier and it takes a bit over 4 hours to download Firefox on dial up.But it can be done!
The old lap top I am working on to use works better with it that internet exploder.
thanks for the help from this thread.