Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Comcast Cable Options

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 2083 times

Old 01-02-2018, 01:07:08 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Comcast Cable Options

harry- what did you need to do to re-set modem? (Power OFF, then Power ON.)

just re checked mine at 12;15AM and down is 3.99 and up is 7.52 slower than ever, need to call in AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2018, 02:37:45 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,679 Times in 1,585 Posts

See what kind of deal Verizon offers. They started me at 50, recently upped it to 100 for same price. I do not see any difference, but most we run is 4 computers at once.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 09:08:19 AM
Subscriber

power-i think i only have one option (COMCAST) for the 3 services, guess i could split it up?

akuna- yes hardwire seems to work better (have not tried in ages) think the desktop is hardwired in the basement, will cheek after P.T.

wireless is slower further from router but even sitting next to it stinks.

we also just got a new laptop for Christmas which is no different than the old one as far as speed.

also last night TV started doing something different. it is pausing, freezing, and muting random words and or sentences, all only happens for a few seconds at a time, looks like time to call and have them send somebody to what i already know.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:33:00 PM
Registered-III

Squidtrap,
I use Cat 6 for cable from modem to router even though they are next to each other because of it's better insulation and reduced crosstalk over 5E. I want to be sure router is getting everything it can possibly get. Cat 5e can do up to 1000 MBPS, or 1000Base-T speeds, and is really sufficient for today's equipment.

Suggest cable from router to computer be Cat 5e.

If you have older CAT 3, it would at best do around 10MBPS, so good idea to change it out. I use CAT 3 for hard wired telephone because it is easy to work with, and has spare pair. Cat 5 uses 2 pairs, and is rated at 100 MBPS. 5E uses 4 pairs, and has much better shielding and greatly reduced crosstalk. That is the minimum I would use with today's equipment.

I used CAT6 on long runs because I got a good deal, but with a rating of 10,000 MBPS, it is overkill for today's equipment.

Verizon has been making a big push in NJ with FIOS. They let me keep my copper line, and included it in the bundle
Old 01-02-2018, 05:43:00 PM
Subscriber

thats the other problem, FIOS is everywhere around us but not in my town of 25,000 our superstructure is so antiquated they refuse to completely re-do it. they have a mindset of whoever stays great, if you leave oh well. I was told that from a foreman when they re-did every wire from the pole to house and the entire house to remove that RG 58???? and install the much thicker stuff.

i will call the neighbor cause i did see the truck at his house for about 2 hours last week.

almost ready to find an antenna and see what id flying around in the air, after all phily and N.Y. are not that far. wish me luck.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:16:47 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidtrap View Post
thats the other problem, FIOS is everywhere around us but not in my town of 25,000 our superstructure is so antiquated they refuse to completely re-do it. they have a mindset of whoever stays great, if you leave oh well. I was told that from a foreman when they re-did every wire from the pole to house and the entire house to remove that RG 58???? and install the much thicker stuff.

i will call the neighbor cause i did see the truck at his house for about 2 hours last week.

almost ready to find an antenna and see what id flying around in the air, after all phily and N.Y. are not that far. wish me luck.
Don't believe cable foreman about anything he says re Verizon FIOS. Fios is fiber optic, a thin flat wire with fiber glass transmitting light pulses. Totally different than cable co cables. If neighbor has fios, you should be able to get it. Going to the thicker cable will substantially reduce losses, and you should have seen a big improvement. They may need to upgrade cable from interface to router too.

If you do not have 5E from modem to router, talk nice to him, they usually have 6 foot lengths on truck, may give you one.