Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Comcast Cable Options

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 1915 times

Old 12-27-2017, 03:22:20 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,042 Times in 2,422 Posts
Default Re: Comcast Cable Options

My (admittedly dated) experience has been that the actual decision makers in cable companies do not sweat losing a single customer or even several, but they also sometimes take extreme measures to satisfy a straight forward, courteous and well reasoned request.- the negotiation process with them can easily go either way.

I'll not forecast the results, I have seen both extremes. I have spent many $$ to serve houses that will never turn a profit, because someone asked nicely, and I have immediately disconnected customers who said the wrong words - i.e. "you had better...". In a few cases I was able to work the disconnect while the soon to be former customer was still on the phone

The goal of my advice is only to speed up the decision making process - in other words, you will quickly find out if the Company wants your business enough to take action to keep it or not.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2017, 11:51:50 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,887 Times in 4,272 Posts

I think only way to get lower price internet is to switch providers every year or so. So your always in their promo pricing period. Same for satellite / comcast TV video service

My internet only service is up to $75-80 /month. In past I talked about canceling and asked how much lead time they need to disconnect. They connected me to another dept (neighbor said it's their customer retention dept), got no where with lowing price. But I didn't yet say cancel it

Neighbor sent a nicely worded letter to comcast president he got price reduction of maybe 33-40 % for 1 year. Ok, but not great.

Supposedly I have 25 meg/sec . but their own speed test ( for new customers) says I'm at ~3 consistently. Till they removed access to that program and now it's access for it's current customers shows 25 ???? Suspect that's not real.

Currently been getting Comcast notices my modem won't work after Jab 18, 2018, need to upgrade modem or rent one. Well phone company bill included website for DSL internet cost ...... was ~ 1/2 price at ~ $ 42/month so I'll have to call and get that.

If that doesn't work I'll cancel dad's internet (he passed last Feburary) and have GF ( who moved in) get same internet at promo pricing in her name.

Last edited by len k; 01-01-2018 at 12:32:13 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:17:21 AM
Administrator

Thanked 11,466 Times in 1,978 Posts

I've been paying Comcast for internet service at $49.95/month for quite some time. Recently, they informed me that they were increasing my speed and that all I needed to do was reset my modem. (Power OFF, then Power ON.)

It works fine now as it did before at 5 or 10 Mb. Netflix and YouTube runs with no waits and it was all I ever needed on the web. I guess I'll keep 'em on for a while. Now running 30 Mb.

AT&T on the other hand is about to be fired. I'll be going back to Verizon for my cell service so that all rooms of my house will have adequate cell service.

DirecTV is on the short list too. Too many re-runs of absolute crap. Unless you like to watch the same thing dozens of times, or Vampires, Drug Dealers or other crap like Uncle Buck or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Guess I'm too old for that crap pile!

NetFlix is good at $10 per month, but it takes a while to search stuff out there as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speed-1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	299489  
Old 01-01-2018, 01:32:53 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,304 Times in 977 Posts

Like I said, I called and talked to the retention people. Went from 1.something meg to 12 and reduced the phone and internet bill by almost half.

The bill says I am getting a deal and how many months into or are left. Was told to call the last month and get the new deal.

SOme year they wil stop cutting my bill in half, until then it will be worth it.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:07:08 AM
Subscriber

harry- what did you need to do to re-set modem? (Power OFF, then Power ON.)

just re checked mine at 12;15AM and down is 3.99 and up is 7.52 slower than ever, need to call in AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:37:45 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,584 Times in 1,524 Posts

See what kind of deal Verizon offers. They started me at 50, recently upped it to 100 for same price. I do not see any difference, but most we run is 4 computers at once.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 03:00:34 AM
Registered-III

Need to remember you can have a gazillion bit speed at the end of your cable, however your speed is only as good as your network connection to your computer. If you are using wireless, I bet that is your bottle neck.
The Following User Says Thank You to akuna For This Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 09:08:19 AM
Subscriber

power-i think i only have one option (COMCAST) for the 3 services, guess i could split it up?

akuna- yes hardwire seems to work better (have not tried in ages) think the desktop is hardwired in the basement, will cheek after P.T.

wireless is slower further from router but even sitting next to it stinks.

we also just got a new laptop for Christmas which is no different than the old one as far as speed.

also last night TV started doing something different. it is pausing, freezing, and muting random words and or sentences, all only happens for a few seconds at a time, looks like time to call and have them send somebody to what i already know.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:14:00 PM
Registered-III

Talk to your neighbors, see if they are having problems also.

On cables and cards, Cat 3 will cause more problems if you are trying to use it at faster speeds. The card will not slow down, the speed will because of corrupt packets and having to resend them. Laos you must check how the card is setup in your system. Just because you buy a new computer does not say it has the best card, or is set up correctly. Also the modem may be set for a slower connection if you had old computers when it was installed.

It could be a combination of these types of problems, or some squirrel chewed on the cable, or they have over sold the capacity of your cable.

Last edited by akuna; 01-02-2018 at 03:28:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to akuna For This Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 02:33:00 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,584 Times in 1,524 Posts

Squidtrap,
I use Cat 6 for cable from modem to router even though they are next to each other because of it's better insulation and reduced crosstalk over 5E. I want to be sure router is getting everything it can possibly get. Cat 5e can do up to 1000 MBPS, or 1000Base-T speeds, and is really sufficient for today's equipment.

Suggest cable from router to computer be Cat 5e.

If you have older CAT 3, it would at best do around 10MBPS, so good idea to change it out. I use CAT 3 for hard wired telephone because it is easy to work with, and has spare pair. Cat 5 uses 2 pairs, and is rated at 100 MBPS. 5E uses 4 pairs, and has much better shielding and greatly reduced crosstalk. That is the minimum I would use with today's equipment.

I used CAT6 on long runs because I got a good deal, but with a rating of 10,000 MBPS, it is overkill for today's equipment.

Verizon has been making a big push in NJ with FIOS. They let me keep my copper line, and included it in the bundle
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post: