Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 4418 replies and has been viewed 294084 times

Old 01-29-2018, 11:16:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,645 Times in 1,516 Posts
Default Re: What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlister View Post
Lol.. moonshine.. love it! That is diesel fuel from.the 63 gallon tank for my 30 kw dda onan.. the crap, is what was in the tank.. the nasty looking one is fuel pulled from.the guys filters that flushed the tank and treat the fuel to clean out the tank and prevent rust.. the clear is the fuel after he flushed it..

Wanna swig??

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2018, 03:09:15 PM
Registered-I

When I got my machine and was taking things apart to clean it out, I found lots of "mud-daubber" wasp nests inside the generator housing and around the exciter. Took some doing to get them all out of there.

Paper wasp nests not so prevalent around here, but mud ones are thick.

I think I'm going to get some insect screen (window screen wire) and screen off any openings I can to prevent that from happening again.
The exciter cover on the end of the generator would be easy to fix. Then, the hot air outlet that blows over the battery charge resistor... that one.

When I took the cylinder shroud off (above the starter motor) there were a bunch of nests in there, also. That one will be harder to prevent from recurring.

I think the little bastards must get inside the "vacuflow" shroud and make their way back in there.

I can cover the vacuflow outlet easy enough. The little hole where the governor arm rises up and down.. that may be difficult. It'll need something like bristles on a paint brush.. that offer no resistance to movement, but keep the little wasps out of the housing.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:21:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,859 Times in 1,483 Posts

JoeE. Be careful to NOT use too small of MESH screen. The finer the screen you use, such as window screen, you WILL restrict air flow. Do you have a "J" series set?
Old 02-02-2018, 08:00:31 PM
Registered-I

Yeah, JB.

I hold my hand over the inlet on the rear of the generator, and it really isn't pulling that much air in that opening.. compared to what's blowing out over that resistor. I think there is a bit of an inlet on the front of the generator housing where the fan is.

As far as the air from over the engine cylinders... lots of air moving there.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:22:04 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
...had the 60 gallon fuel tank for the dda professionally flushed and treated with a rust preventive etc.. lots of junk and crud was in the tank.. I thought about flushing it myself but do not have the ability to do so.. cost 275...
I use IBC totes for fuel tanks. They are for chemical use. Your fuel level is known at a glance. Easily moved with a lift.
For me, the days of bulky, metal tanks has already come and gone.
Serial 0373604238

Last edited by DN29626; 02-03-2018 at 09:43:28 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DN29626 For This Post:
Old 02-03-2018, 09:19:51 AM
Registered-II

For the past couple of weeks or so, I have been working on my 2.5LK. I have had this generator since October of 2016 and just now getting around to working on it. It was a non running unit that had been, to say it nicely, rigged to run. The wiring in and around the control box was cut and jumped including the use of the wrong style starting solenoid. When I got it home I was able to get it started after a new condenser was installed because of no spark. After I made sure it ran and produced power it just got pushed to the back of the line as other projects were already started.
A month or two ago I started doing some research on the correct wiring diagram and correct components. Picked up the new solenoid and fuse holders, rewired the control box and starter solenoid. Then a no spark issue again! After some checking, turned out the coil was bad. So a new coil and a new radio interference capacitor at the coil and it ran. Next was the muffler as a straight pipe is LOUD!! Got the muffler mounted and then worked on trying to get it to smooth out a bit. It ran and started well just shook a bit while running. So a new plug and plug wire, both non resister, and a dose of carburetor cleaner in the fuel and now she is nice and smooth from no load to full and to the point where the engine slows even at full open throttle.
Next was to mount a NEMA box so the output outlets can be mounted along with a push button breaker and an output meter. (meter is on order but should be here next week). I found a sale on 6x6x4 metal boxes for $9 ea. so I picked up 2 used 1 and saved 1. Fabricated up some mounts and got the wires run into it. Looking at it now, think I am going to mount a 2x4 outlet box to the side of it and leave the NEMA box just for the meter and breaker. Hopefully this will get done today and then the last thing will be to mount the meter when it shows up. It is too cold to paint as my barn is unheated so I will do all the build work now and then paint when the weather breaks.
I am really thinking on how to build a cart for it. I am keeping my eye out for a nice fuel tank around the 5-7 gallon mark. Might wind up using a boat motor tank but will have to wait and see.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Handyhiker1 For This Post:
Old 02-03-2018, 09:51:37 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DN29626 View Post
I use IBC totes for fuel tanks. They are for chemical use. Your fuel level is known at a glance. Easily moved with a lift.
For me, the days of bulky, metal tanks has already come and gone.

If I could find one small enough to fit in the trailer id use one.. thinking of adding a second 30 gallon tank as well.. not sure where I'm going to put it as I want to be able to have a few small gens in there as well.. and I want to permanently mount my 3 kw onan dsl on the opposite side of the fuel tank.. but first I need to reinforce the floor under the 30 kw mounting holes to secure it's 2000 pounds.. going to use 1/4 angle iron.. one up front, one in the middle and one in the back welded to the frame if the trailer.. then mount my outlets and breaker box

Last edited by YellowLister; 02-03-2018 at 10:52:09 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:01:07 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
...If I could find one small enough...
Do you usually gravity feed or use electric fuel pumps?
Serial 0373604238
Old 02-03-2018, 10:53:24 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,462 Posts

They both have diaprhram pumps but I'm going to add electric ones to avoid fuel being pumped into the engines if they leak
Old 02-03-2018, 01:49:31 PM
Registered

I'm new to this forum. I have an Onan 6.5NH 3CR 12014 (1976 vintage) & I now have it running fairly well. I've adjusted the governor for no-load voltage of 250. When I connect a 4800 watt load, the voltage drops to 200 & stays there. The linkage is all free & seems to work OK. Has anyone experienced this problem? Thanks in advance for any help. -Barry