Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 4732 replies and has been viewed 314292 times

Old 02-03-2018, 09:03:00 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,476 Posts
Default Re: What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

JoeE re your post 3744. The Magneciter cooling air inlet is not only at the back end but also underneath below where you described putting your hand.. There is no other air inlet for this generator. Also note the size of the generator outlet air is necessarily smaller than the inlet for a couple of reasons that I can think of. The battery charging resistor probably runs much hotter than the combination of the exciter coils, the stator & the rotor..
The Following User Says Thank You to Leon N. For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2018, 11:49:08 AM
Registered

I got the unique opportunity to replace the generator end bearing in my 6.5 nh out of my food truck yesterday. I had removed it last summer when it started making some funny noises. replaced it with my "spare" 6.5 and just now got around to working on it. It wasn't that big of a deal but I was afraid to start on it not knowing how that bearing was held in the end bell. I finally took a small mirror and looked at the inside side of the bearing and could see no snap ring or anything of the sort. I removed all the brush holders, supported the generator, applied my gear puller to the end bell and in an hour or so had a new bearing in place. I must admit I was a little hesitant to push the start button and maybe let the magic smoke out but all went well and it purrs like a kitten now. Good Times!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitch Hartley For This Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 03:05:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,187 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hartley View Post
I got the unique opportunity to replace the generator end bearing in my 6.5 nh out of my food truck yesterday. I had removed it last summer when it started making some funny noises. replaced it with my "spare" 6.5 and just now got around to working on it. It wasn't that big of a deal but I was afraid to start on it not knowing how that bearing was held in the end bell. I finally took a small mirror and looked at the inside side of the bearing and could see no snap ring or anything of the sort. I removed all the brush holders, supported the generator, applied my gear puller to the end bell and in an hour or so had a new bearing in place. I must admit I was a little hesitant to push the start button and maybe let the magic smoke out but all went well and it purrs like a kitten now. Good Times!
You are smart to have an identical spare set for your food truck! FYI, the rear bearing can be lubricated by carefully removing the rubber seal on the bearing and re-greasing it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 02-10-2018, 05:16:25 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
You are smart to have an identical spare set for your food truck! FYI, the rear bearing can be lubricated by carefully removing the rubber seal on the bearing and re-greasing it.
Thank you for telling me about the re-greasing of that bearing but I figured greasing it wouldn't help much when both seals were gone and about half the little ball bearings were also missing. I wonder why? Only has about 2400 hrs on it and that's just since I put the hour-meter on it. Have no idea how many hrs were on it when I put it into service. Sure was easy to put a less than $10 bearing in it. Wish I would've greased it 2400 hrs ago. He He!
Old 02-10-2018, 05:29:57 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hartley View Post
Thank you for telling me about the re-greasing of that bearing but I figured greasing it wouldn't help much when both seals were gone and about half the little ball bearings were also missing. I wonder why? Only has about 2400 hrs on it and that's just since I put the hour-meter on it. Have no idea how many hrs were on it when I put it into service. Sure was easy to put a less than $10 bearing in it. Wish I would've greased it 2400 hrs ago. He He!
Watch the bearing BRANDS that you buy. If the bearing has a number on it then you can go aftermarket but look out for the Chinese crap.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:30:16 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,476 Posts

Ran my JB for about 2.5 hours the other day. Held a nearly full load most of the time, that is ~ 30 amps on one leg and between35 and 38 amps on the other. Couple of things I noticed. Those 35 amp Ware one-time fuses did not blow. I just happened to take a look at the meters since we were running both the washer, electric dryer and some miscellaneous loads. OK so could the fuse rating change with age? After all they are at least 4 years old?

The other thing is I checked the JB sump oil temperature. It barely made 190 degrees. Yes it was cold, but even with those thermostatic shutters and the fact it was running for over 2 hours, the oil temp was noticeably lower than in the Summer time. I'd be willing to bet there are lots of standby power plants with water in the oil, especially around here.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:38:53 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,604 Times in 2,682 Posts

My guess is that 38 amps is within the normal production tolerances of your metering and those of a "35 amp" fuse.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:21:48 PM
Registered-I

190° is pretty warm.

I run locomotives for a living. Today it was 20 degrees outside and the wind was blowing.

The engine oil was 186° and the water temperature was 172° on this 16 cylinder engine.

Once in a while, the engine would speed up and a message would come on the screen saying "engine warming in progress".

The water doesn't circulate through the radiators unless the engine gets up to a certain temperature on these things. It circulates through the block and a holding tank all the time, but when the set point is reached, a valve opens and the water is pumped up through the big radiators to cool it back down.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:56:14 PM
Subscriber

For an air cooled engine Leon, 190* running the full load you ran is good! Plus the fact that you run full synthetic, your JB was right in the groove especially since they have no external oil cooler like VW ran on the Air cooled Beetle engines.
I know that your JB has run just fine for 40 plus years but they do make adapter fittings for engines that you remove the spin on oil filter and then screw on the adapter in its place. Then the oil filter screws on to the adapter. The adapters can come with thermostatic valves so that the engine can warm up quickly and then when the oil reaches the thermostat temp, it diverts the oil flow through an external oil cooler heat exchanger and back to the engine. I guess some of the DJC series sets use an oil cooler. The only bad thing I see about where they put the oil cooler is that it is in front of the engine cooling fins on the cylinders and heads.
VW had an oil cooler standing up inside the cooling fan housing and it pretty well blocked air flow to #3 cylinder. VW went further in that the distributor lobe for #3 cylinder was retarded 2*-3* to help that blocked cylinder run cooler.
I wonder if the JC series sets have a hot cylinder at the back end opposite of the cooling blower?
Here is the adapter: http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/502/10002/-1
Old 02-10-2018, 09:07:08 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,567 Times in 1,588 Posts

I finally put the jb and cck I picked up a week ago in the shed.. it's a process.. I also welded some 1/4 3x3 angle iron on a old cart and placed the jb on it, first I painted the angle iron cause anything not painted here will rust in days.. blah..

Sooo.. I have to use the cherry picker and put the generators on the trailer... then back the trailer up.to the shed so I can lower the ramp on the shed, it a perfect even platform..

then push, well first arrange the onans in order.. so pull a few out.. push the one I want in the back out first, but I had my two heavy heavy duty carts in the spot where I wanted to put the jb, so pulled them all out, put the onans in.. then back the trailer up to the second 6x10 shed, used some 2x6 *planks* to roll the heavy heavy duty carts in that shed, from the trailer..and stacked them on another cart.. was a real back buster.. but everything is inside and out of the rusty salty air...

Long day.. I'll sleep good tonight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_171416.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	302836   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_172548.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	302838   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_171439.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	302839   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_172600.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	302843  

Last edited by YellowLister; 02-10-2018 at 10:21:00 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YellowLister For This Post: