Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 7.5JB-3CR/9804T - Welcome 'red' to the family

this thread has 105 replies and has been viewed 4419 times

Old 03-07-2016, 09:17:51 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,031 Posts
Default Re: Onan 7.5JB-3CR/9804T - Welcome 'red' to the family

When I rebuilt my 15.0JC almost 2 years ago I ran into the same problems. Mice in the control box and generator head. You may have missed one spot and that is in the behind the air intake cooling tin above the starter. I had a freakin condo in there and crap from the nest was falling into the starter's Bendix gear and ring gear on the flywheel and caused problems.

Check out my video on YouTube and you will see the damages and the fixes I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8jVNfrCQuI -- sorry no sound, just video

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2016, 10:03:24 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,170 Posts

If I were you I would not disassemble the generator or even disconnect any wires at this point. Main reason being, once you loosen those magneciter wire connections you risk having a high resistance connection when you put it back. I would not want to replace any of those crimped connectors on the exciter board.

As I have shown, mice peed all over my JB control box. That was some 20+ years ago and although I purchased replacement wire, wire connectors and terminal strips, I have not got around to clean it up any further. I am embarrassed but maybe this Spring I will get to it.

Yes, maybe mice did get in behind the rotor either squirming around and between the rotor poles or more likely by entering the hot air exit from the generator.

Maybe you can put a vacuum hose in through the generator hot air outlet and suck out any acorns or nesting material. Perhaps by hand turning the rotor a few degrees will aid in getting more stuff out.

As for that loose ball bearing, I am not aware of that being used anywhere in your JB. It certainly did not come from the generator bearing. Looks to be too big and furthermore that bearing is sealed. I did replace mine and still have the old one which can be rejuvenated as discussed on the Stak back a while ago.

One other thing you should be aware of, although I do not mean to discourage you, but if your JB was designed for "gasoline-only" then some of the internal parts were not as, shall I say, beefy the same parts used in plants designed to operate with gaseous fuels.

Good Luck in your refab.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:35:44 PM
Subscriber

Just a quick update for the fellas that were watching this one and maybe felt like it got away You did good.

Took the time to go through the control box & rewire what couldn't be patched and tape up what could. Still wasn't getting any power to the starter & disassembled the housing all the way so I could get to everything.

Hadn't thought to do it yet cause the ebay listing specifically said they had checked that the engine was free.. Well -it isn't Can't turn it even with plugs out from the flywheel end so guess it's seized.

Next steps PS fluid/acetone mix, rinse, lather & repeat. If no progress by this weekend will probably go ahead & pull the head if I can find the time.

Anyhow, that's what it is. Stay tuned.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BStrutton For This Post:
Old 03-09-2016, 11:51:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,141 Posts

If you paid for it via Paypal then you have financial recourse with the seller. I would suggest that you contact the seller first then Paypal. Don't wait too long.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 03-10-2016, 06:43:10 AM
Registered-II

Keep ALL correspondence with the seller THRU E-BAY!
E-BAY and PAY PAL are the same corporation...
I have had a couple issues and because I sent ALL emails thru E-BAY judgment was in my favor.

Good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RETCPO For This Post:
Old 03-10-2016, 09:30:55 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStrutton View Post

Hadn't thought to do it yet cause the ebay listing specifically said they had checked that the engine was free.. Well -it isn't Can't turn it even with plugs out from the flywheel end so guess it's seized.

Next steps PS fluid/acetone mix, rinse, lather & repeat. If no progress by this weekend will probably go ahead & pull the head if I can find the time.

Anyhow, that's what it is. Stay tuned.
Provided everything comes apart ok, pulling the jb head is not a big job. This will let you check the valves. Also the oil line that is mounted to the underside of the valve cover. Head, valve cover and exhaust manifold gaskets are available for replacement as needed.
Ray
Old 03-10-2016, 11:17:48 AM
Subscriber

Definitely gonna have to pull the head for further exploration. Hopefully this weekend. Was able to get enough light down the spark plug hole to see what appears to be some pretty bad rust but mainly on the cylinder closest to genend -not really evident on the other cylinder..

Also thinking to pull filter & oil filler & see if I can get an inspection camera in there to see the bottom end at all..

@Terry Smith, based on your comment about the PO, I was wondering if you have any idea about what the time frame was that the construction co had it running. Just curious as to when it last ran..

I guess the gen just 'knew' that I had 1000 other things to do this weekend
Old 03-10-2016, 11:59:23 AM
Subscriber

TAKE PICTURES of what you do and find......BUT, I wouldn't do ANYTHING to the set until you contact the seller and paypal! $599 to buy a non running, seized generator, even a 7.5B, isn't a good deal in my opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 03-10-2016, 01:18:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,434 Times in 1,871 Posts

Contact the seller through eBay, NOW. Don't wait, or do anything to unstick the engine. The original ad said "Surplus from a local school system. Sells AS-IS, we did not test this unit other than to make sure the engine is free". Since the engine is stuck, you have a case. If the engine was free and any other problems showed up, you would be pretty much out of luck. If he doesn't make it good, including transportation, escalate it step by step through the eBay resolution process. Don't give up, and don't let the seller bluster and bluff you into going away.

This seller has ten bad feedbacks in the last year. Now, anyone selling on eBay can accumulate a bad feedback or two, but if you read the descriptions, it appears the seller has played this game before.

"Bait and Switch parts I received where not the ones in the listing"
"This seller lied and said the engine turned but its locked. 95xt engine."
"Item was not as described. late shipping. engine had very little compression"
"didn't send all the parts promised and blamed it on my trucker..."

And then there's this bad feedback:
"Do not buy site unseen from this seller. Purchase needed 3000.00 in repairs"
To which the seller replied:
"FIRST WE HEARD ABOUT IT -- 2 MONTHS LATER ?! "

Not only is six hundred dollars plus shipping too much to let go, but more important it's the principle of the thing.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 03-10-2016, 02:03:06 PM
Subscriber

600 plus shipping is a pretty hard lesson . I would do as told through eBay it's not going to cost you anything to protest you may get your money and shipping back if you want too.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:36:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanks guys. I have indeed reached out to the seller to give them the opportunity to do something to make this right voluntarily first.. As was noted if I had any inkling that it was locked up solid I'd have passed..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BStrutton For This Post:
Old 03-10-2016, 04:55:17 PM
Subscriber

Please don't take this as I/we are trying to tell you what to do... From this guys reported, Multiple, BAD feedback, I would only give them 24-36 hours to get back with you with a solution before you go to ebay AND paypal with this issue. PLEASE keep us posted on this
Old 03-10-2016, 07:44:54 PM
Subscriber

@Motorhead,

Yep I'll stay right on it.

Thanks guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to BStrutton For This Post:
Old 03-11-2016, 10:26:28 AM
Subscriber

Just so that I know my options... Are there any .20 or .30 pistons available for these anymore (can't find any online) or are they made of unobtainium?

On these engines I assume the piston sizes have to match both cylinders?

No update yet from seller. Hope to hear something today & will update.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2016, 12:03:17 PM
Subscriber

You only have a certain time frame to file a claim. did not read whole post but if you paid by pay pal you have a rock solid claim. i know,did it 2 times.

YOU NEED TO CALL E-BAY AND PAY PAL if you used pay pal and file the claim or your time will expire and you are beat!!!!!!!!!

If it frees up possibly you might make a deal WAY CHEAPER and make out. I had to pay shipping but it was only a few dollars. That is usually the clincher to get you to bail out. Dont wait file the claim so you dont loose out completely.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:57:55 PM
Subscriber

So the seller responded today. I'm to call him Monday & see what we can work out. Can anyone clue me in as to the answer on my previous question about oversized piston availability (20s & 30s) so that I know what's possible or not prior to calling the seller to talk?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2016, 12:30:43 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
So the seller responded today. I'm to call him Monday & see what we can work out. Can anyone clue me in as to the answer on my previous question about oversized piston availability (20s & 30s) so that I know what's possible or not prior to calling the seller to talk?

Thanks!
The problem is that you, me, or anyone else knows what else might be wrong with you purchase. You might settle for a few hundred and find out the whole set is a junker once you take it apart. I'd be asking for a FULL REFUND!
Just my $0.02 worth......
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 03-14-2016, 07:15:25 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,251 Times in 2,872 Posts

Oversized pistons were available at one time, not sure if you will still find them except in NOS that someone has laying around.

A note to OnanParts would likely get you an accurate answer.

I have mentioned before that a local engine shop modified some Sealed Power pistons to fit a JC for me a few years back, so there are options. It would seem to me that you can find a good JB for less than $1,000 and by the time you have your JB re-bored & rebuilt you could have that much in it. This is without knowing if the gen-end is sound.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Thompson For This Post:
Old 03-14-2016, 08:02:51 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,434 Times in 1,871 Posts

Quote:
So the seller responded today. I'm to call him Monday & see what we can work out.
It sounds reasonable, but the communication will be taking part outside the view of eBay and Paypal, and could lead to a he said/she said situation. I would much prefer using email via eBay. Having all conversations on record makes it much easier if you escalate to a formal claim for a refund.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 03-14-2016, 09:12:01 AM
Subscriber

And it's listed as "Used" ( "..fully operational and functions as intended"), which irritates me to no end when they don't even bother to test something. Then there's the eBay money back guarantee, if you receive an item that is not as described, "Money Back Guarantee. Get the item you ordered or get your money back. Covers your purchase price and original shipping".

I've dealt with this guy buying and selling, and he seems reasonable. Keep a cool head and let him know that this isn't what you signed up for. You have to decide upfront what will make you happy, and let him know. $200 refund? $300? Talking is OK, just followup with ebay comms to confirm. The moment you click on a formal claim, they take all the money from the seller and it tends to pi$$ them off which is counter productive so should be the last resort. There is a time limit. Send photos through ebay communications.
The Following User Says Thank You to gnucklehead For This Post: