Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Generator Controllers - Gencon II Pro

this thread has 56 replies and has been viewed 2660 times

Old 07-25-2017, 08:53:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,479 Times in 1,428 Posts
Default Re: Generator Controllers - Gencon II Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like oldstuff View Post
Man that thing is chock full of nuts! You'll be playing with it for months.
It will keep me occupied for awhile, but some of the features cannot be used on our small Onans such ad electronic governor control as well as AVR control for paralleling multiple generators. My main intent is to use the controller for monitoring the basics and maybe simple controlling based on critical alerts to initiate automatic shut down. These controllers are for 3 phase and 2 wire remote configurations. Our J series Onans are 3 wire remote start / stop.

Today, I want to order an RS485 to USB converter so I can tap into the controller using my laptop / PC. Still I have lots to learn and once I learn enough to be dangerous I will start to unload some of my extra Gencon II Pro controllers to folks on this site.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41:22 AM
Registered-III

Gee,,,, how about 8 CCK's,,, or 7 CCK's with the first gen set a diesel for the zero/super low load times....

Rube Goldberg at it's finest!!! You gotta admit, it would be a fun project ;-)
Old 07-25-2017, 12:31:41 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,259 Times in 826 Posts

The remote start terminals are IN. Not out. These would eliminate all the controls, such as they are, and make a gen 2 wire start.
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 01:39:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,884 Times in 4,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
I may be wrong, but the controller was on a 1 megawatt generator.
I'm thinking larger than 1 megwatt. Sounds very professional, like what a utility might use..

I'ld be careful playing past the 6 digital factory password. It's likely a PLC (programmable logic controller) of sorts and you may have the ability to wipe out it's sub-routine programing, that give it all these features.

If PLC it's likely they took a stock PLC and programed to make it a generator controller. So if you want you likely could wipe out the software and have a basic PLC to reprogram for other uses. Just have to open up the box and see if you can find PLC's manufacturer's name and model # for documentation.

Last edited by len k; 07-25-2017 at 05:48:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 04:26:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,012 Posts

You can use it to run your Onan, but, it'll replace all the controls as it'll do everything. The auto start is an input, yes, it will make it a 2 wire start.

You're going to need some relays as it won't handle the amp draw of the starter relay. Might as well hang another relay for ignition and the gas valve (or fuel pump).

Might run into a snag as these things look fo ra 3 phase voltage. Might be able to either disable voltage sensing or fool it. You will need to add a MPU so it'll know the engine is turning over, when to shut the starter off, where the overspeed point is. Think you can use either oil pressure or output voltage to tel the controller that the engine is running.

Holler at me if you want some help/advice. PM me and I'll reply with me cell phone, call me anytime except after 10 at night.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunny For This Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 10:50:15 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
You can use it to run your Onan, but, it'll replace all the controls as it'll do everything. The auto start is an input, yes, it will make it a 2 wire start.

You're going to need some relays as it won't handle the amp draw of the starter relay. Might as well hang another relay for ignition and the gas valve (or fuel pump).

Might run into a snag as these things look fo ra 3 phase voltage. Might be able to either disable voltage sensing or fool it. You will need to add a MPU so it'll know the engine is turning over, when to shut the starter off, where the overspeed point is. Think you can use either oil pressure or output voltage to tel the controller that the engine is running.

Holler at me if you want some help/advice. PM me and I'll reply with me cell phone, call me anytime except after 10 at night.
Gunny, once again many thanks... I will be picking your brain shortly, but first I want to become familiar with the controller by going through all the menus and studying all the settings. The manual that I downloaded has some information on the setup, but far from complete so I need to figure things out for myself. I guess what I am trying to say is I don't want to ask dumb questions to waste your time. I hope that any questions I ask will be for clarification on the information I learned or information that was not covered in the manual.

I hope to have learned enough to ask questions in about a week. For now, the controller sits on my desk and is powered by a 12 vdc power supply and one leg of 120 vac. No relays, no nothing else is hooked up (yet).

I will post periodic updates on what I learn in this thread. I would like to keep the discussion in this thread too. I think it can be beneficial to others that want to learn or maybe someone 5 years form now may come across one of these controllers and will find valuable information here.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 10:07:09 PM
Subscriber

Update: Not much to report, but I'm still in massive learning mode (a.k.a. "sponge mode").

I found an online document for the controller that may help. Link is below, but for most folks here it would not be of any interest. Also there is a company in Argentina South America that supports the Wexler products with a fairly decent overview, but everything is in Spanish.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...ctronic-r-gmbh

Yesterday I found comprehensive technical information on the Communicator module which basically allow an operator to monitor from a PC console up to 8 generators. I WON'T be using the Communicator for 2 reasons: 1) I will be only hooking into one generator at any given time and 2) The Communicator requires Gpanes software to be installed on the PC and I don't have the software which comes on a CD. I have no idea how much it costs, but I'm sure it will be expensive. No, it is not found on the internet for a download. It is specialized software.

Interesting to see how applications between the United States and Europe differ in the grand scheme of things, at least that is what it may have been 15-20 years ago (see attached picture below).

Once I become smart enough (yeah - right) I will be using my Onan LT II ATS Switch that will be connected to my JB. The Gencon II Pro controller will basically monitor and maybe perform certain shutdowns based on detected faults. Lastly and hopefully I can interface into it with my PC either through a direct hookup or through my home network.

OK, back to reading. Maybe one day this will all make sense and all come together.

Johnny
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	287294  
Old 07-28-2017, 04:40:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,593 Times in 1,012 Posts

That should keep you out of the bars and out of trouble for at least a week, maybe 2.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gunny For This Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 06:18:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,110 Times in 2,083 Posts

JC is in absorption mode. He'll be pinging you mid day tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 05:51:12 PM
Subscriber

I Like Oldstuff is correct regarding his recent posting ...

Question for those smarter than me (that means everyone here).

I need to obtain and setup two 5 amp current transformers for the controller which I'll find or trade with someone here that may have a few laying around (Yellowlister I will PM you later).

In part of setting up the controller, I need to understand the controller's set up parameters for the current transformers ratio. I read the manual but I ain't smart enough to fully understand based on their example . Please look at the attached picture below and focus on the yellow highlighted text and especially the red underscored text. Can someone here explain better what the text means?

JohnnyC
New Jersey
(in information over load sponge mode)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	287431