Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Oil Bath Air Cleaner service procedure

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 329 times

Old 08-12-2017, 11:59:08 AM
Email NOT Working

Default Oil Bath Air Cleaner service procedure

I have 2 early 70's CCKs with the oil bath air cleaners. One I only start 3-4 times a year and is not in any rotation and the other I hope to get going next week.

At least one of the two will become the gasoline backup to my propane fired unit.

What is the proper procedure for cleaning/filling/maintaining oil bath air cleaning units like these ?

Also a brief description of how they work would really be helpful.

Thanks All
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2017, 02:19:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,305 Times in 720 Posts
Default Re: Oil Bath Air Cleaner service procedure

Key thing is to just keep the oil at the proper level, and do not overfill. Usually OK to use same oil that you put in the engine. Personally, I use 10W30 in them, as it carries into the mesh a little quicker I feel, and haven't ever had an issue with oil pullover into the intake. Clean the pan out with solvent when changing the oil...the bigger stuff like bugs, leaf chunks, large dirt particles will collect there, as will most of the dirt that drains back out of the mesh with the oil, between runs.

For the mesh, if it looks silver on the bottom, I wouldn't worry about it. If, however, the wires are covered in a black film, you can remove it from the engine, and submerge it in a small pan of kerosene for a day. Agitate it in the liquid every once in a while. Then, agitate it good the next day, drain, pour some clean kerosene through it, then let it drip dry for a day. Others may have different methods, but this is the one that has always worked for me on all sizes of oil bath mesh filters.

Eric
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EricWood For This Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 02:44:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,560 Times in 6,389 Posts

I do the same as Eric for cleaning them. The way it works is air is drawn in. Air hits the top of the oil level. The oil traps any dirt or trash in the air. The trash falls to the bottom of the pan. Back in the old days. It was the only air filter system there was. Works better than paper but is messy to deal with.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:52:29 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanks
I will put these procedures to work next week. BTW Mikes_garage has an Ebay store where he has 7 or so new complete ones for 14 bucks each (plus shipping)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:44:42 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,507 Times in 964 Posts

What Eric says..........

Now on an old Detroit diesel............ Be sure that you put the felt end of the mesh down in the oil. Put it together with the felt up, it'll suck the oil out of the air cleaner and you'll have a run away engine. Don't ask how I know this....... No the engine did not come apart but there were a few anxious moments when that engine was around 3000 rpm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunny For This Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:09:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 13,560 Times in 6,389 Posts

Gunny I was new to Detroit's 671. First class told me to remove the intake barrel. If the engine started to run away. Throw rags into the blower. Had that happen one day. Threw in the rags and watched them come out the exhaust into the water. Knew it was time to leave the boat. Made it over the side just as the engine stopped.

Found out later. The expert we had. Just back from A school. Worked on three engines. Didn't bother to tell anyone. He wanted to surprise every on on Monday Didn't lock in the rack pin.