Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

McCormick-Deering 6hp mixer (early)

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 915 times

Old 12-22-2014, 11:27:08 PM
Registered-II

Default McCormick-Deering 6hp mixer (early)

Hello I have an early 6hp M mixer. Has the two needle valves. You can't take this one apart to clean it out. It has a considerable amount of rust inside. What do you all think is the best way to clean up the inside thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2014, 03:41:50 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: McCormick-Deering 6hp mixer (early)

I would start with electrolysis to start, then go from there.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:43:12 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: McCormick-Deering 6hp mixer (early)

There are some people out there that will disagree with me on my next statement, but I have used Muriatic acid to clean cast iron carb bodies to great results. Make sure you have all parts disassembled. Totally immerse the carb body in full strength Muriatic acid in a VERY VERY ventilated area, preferably outside. Let it soak for 4-5 mins, then rinse 3 times and soak again in a baking soda/water mixture. Rinse 3 more times in hot water and dry. If there is still rust present, repeat the process again.

Rust will be gone. Now, be warned, the cast iron will flash rust after this process, as it is now down to bare metal. Also, the carb should be fully degreased prior to this treatment.