Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 92 Flywheel Magnets Hitting Coil

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1943 times

Old 07-06-2013, 05:54:09 PM
Registered-III

Default Maytag 92 Flywheel Magnets Hitting Coil

I'm putting together my maytag 92 and the flywheel magnets are hitting the coil. could someone please tell me how to fix this thank you Stacy
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 08:32:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,627 Times in 982 Posts
Default Re: maytag 92 flywheel magnets hitting coil

Is there too much slack in the crank to bushing? That could cause that. Worn bearing letting the flywheel drop down on the coil laminates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 07-06-2013, 10:29:21 PM
Registered-III

all new bushings
Old 07-06-2013, 11:07:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,627 Times in 982 Posts

Put some blue lay out dye on the laminates to see the full contact of the flywheel to see where the problem might be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 07-07-2013, 07:29:13 PM
Registered-III

Hi Stacy, If the new bushings were reamed off center that might be a bit of the problem. But more then likely the coil shoes are miss aligned. Did you have the coil removed from the ignition plate? If so sometimes the shoes which are the outer end pieces of the coil laminates can swivel allowing one portion of the shoe to get too close to the magnet extension plates. Solution is to loosen just the screws that hold the laminates to the ignition plate and adjust positioning. You can tell the high portion by using the lay out dye idea posed by Pat. Short of lay out dye? You can substitute a magic marker. Does the same thing just not quite as nicely as lay out dye but it will get the job done. Also was the magnet ring and the extension plates removed for any reason? If so the ring could be bolted back in incorrectly distorting the flywheel and magnet ring. Or the magnet ring extension plates can be turned just a fuzz causing the corners to be too high. Does not take much. It can take some careful examination sometimes to figure out the real solution. Whatever you do, do not file any off of the coil shoe laminations. That solution is just making compensation for the real problem whatever it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Shulaw For This Post:
Old 07-21-2013, 08:14:45 PM
Registered-III

thanks everyone for the help I think I got the problem solved but now I have another problem the two bolts with the flat top that holds the magnet ring on are stripped so does anyone know where I can find these bolts? thanks Stacy
Old 11-28-2017, 01:16:57 PM
Registered

I too am having this issue Stacy. Might I ask what was your solution? I had a broken backer plate on my original engine so I used another one I picked up locally. There seems to be less of a gap between the flywheel and this backer plate as it turns on one side than the other. The gap doesn't always show at the top indicating play but is wherever the magnet gap is located. Thought it might be a bent crank but I put a square next to the crank arm and turned it and don't see any vertical movement on the scale. I tried re-seating the coil and adjusting the magnet pole plate positions slightly which helped some but it still doesn't clear enough. There is more clearance between the short pole plate and the coil than there is between the long pole plate and the coil and I have it now so it is just barely making contact. I cannot detect any play in the bearings or wobble in the crank, they are not new but reasonably tight. I think my next step will be to try the old flywheel backer that is broken, even though I can't tighten it and see if it has same gap. I'm thinking the backer plate I bought is slightly off. The easiest solution I can come up with is to thin down the pole plate by a hair to allow it to pass cleanly, it seems slightly thicker than the other one.