Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag Engines... built of Gold?

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 5272 times

Old 10-10-2016, 09:10:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,487 Posts
Default Re: Maytag Engines... built of Gold?

Even at that price, if you take 2 to a show some folks make not consider it a sufficient "exhibit"
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2016, 09:16:54 AM
Subscriber

stich,the pedal shown on the craiglist twin engine is one of five produced, is part # S319 it is not rare. maytag also used the# S318, # S295,#S323,#S338 kick pedals.as far as thinking the engine is 1937 the cylinders,the bakelite air cap,the tank top without the pedal reinforcement are all appear to be correct for 1937. the tank may or may not be correct ,the early tanks did not have the reinforcement on the tank ear closest to the kick pedal, the reinforcement was added in november of 1937 .as far as the value its not hard to get a lot of money wrapped up in these old engines ,crankshaft bushings, machine shop labor for pressing them in and out,line boring same to fit the crankshaft.if you cant do this work your self, plus a new coil and all the other parts it takes to restore a engine.so it all boils what someone is willing to pay i hope this helps
clement
The Following User Says Thank You to Clement Rook Jr. For This Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 02:54:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,472 Times in 1,723 Posts

Stichwizard
Try buying a Maytag in Texas, for only $1000 you can get a seized up project, which makes that CL ad look like a good deal

Explains why I have no Maytags.........
Old 10-11-2016, 05:15:53 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
Stichwizard
Try buying a Maytag in Texas, for only $1000 you can get a seized up project, which makes that CL ad look like a good deal

Explains why I have no Maytags.........
Well... They say everything in Texas is bigger, that may include Maytag engine prices!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:46:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,621 Times in 457 Posts

just bought 2 model 92s recently at auction, good shape, needed minor work to run, 80 bucks each.
80 to 140 seems auction price around here last few years for a nicer model 92, a bit more for a 72 maybe
Old 10-12-2016, 11:02:37 PM
Registered-I

I think a lot of it can be attributed to new collectors not knowing what they have.
Maytag engines like all other collectables have a few models that are rare and hard to find that bring a premium price. Then when the inexperienced collector or seller hears a Maytag engine sold for X amount of dollars they thing that is the normal. Advertised prices don't always give you a good idea of value. Asking and selling prices do very as well as prices in different parts of the country. If a 1 horse power upright sells in the thousands of dollars, does that mean all uprights are worth thousands of dollars. It still gets back to supply and demand.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:52:39 PM
Registered

Darn, I used to be able to get gas for $0.29 a gallon in the 60's.

We're ruined I tell you....

Old 01-29-2017, 09:24:31 PM
Registered

im new to the maytag scene i mostly do chainsaws and lawnmowers/modern small engine repair i got my maytag 72d from my great uncle i gave him 20.00 for it later i found out in needed a crankshaft they usually cost 80-90 on ebay (way to much) i managed to get mine for 54.00 with shipping i needed gaskets there about 11.00 then i needed spark i have a bad eisman coil guys want 150 for just a replacement coil kind of a rip to build a motor it seems with parts prices so high u can get a running nice 72d for 250.00

i recently went to the jacktown show there was a running 92 for 150.00 there some non running ones people where asking 150 for i managed to find a non running one that turned over with compression and weak spark the guy wanted 150 i said 75 we settled on 80.00 honestly i would have liked to pay 35-40 for it because you never know what your getting however as the guy pulled the engine out of the truck people where swarming around it like flys to honey its a very competitive market for a non runner it seems even though there only worth 150-225 done.... idk it docent make sense
Old 01-29-2017, 11:26:23 PM
Subscriber

Two observations here. One: As an auctioneer I'm always amused by the old timers who got into collecting, (and it doesn't matter what category because it's all of them) on the ground floor and bought everything on the cheap. As in dirt cheap. And over a period of 20, 30 or 40 years they've managed to build a world class collection that is the envy of all for miles around. These are the guys who can pee and moan the longest and loudest about how the entire category is now being taken over by the greedy, speculating SOB's that are ruining it for everyone and blah, blah, blah. And all the while they're crying this song they are conveniently overlooking the fact that their collection has gone up in value exponentially because of all the people they're grousing about. When it comes time to sell out they're not much interested in passing it along to a young guy without a pot or a window but they are very interested in squeezing it for every last dime. Two: the buying market is heavily influenced by people buying what they remember. Grandpa's steamer, Pa's first tractor, the engine that was given to the neighbor at a time when nobody cared about memories or heritage. While old iron in general has enjoyed the rare luxury of being less affected by this than other collectible categories, it's not immune to market forces. Look at the drop in Ford N series tractors. The men who grew up with them are now at an age where they're no longer collecting, or worse, they're dying. The younger collector doesn't have the same affinity for these tractors. He wants that IH or JD that dad owned in the 60s or 70s. And for the the guy in his 30s that would love to own a steamer, a wife, kids and mortgage can put a real reality check on the wish list. Just like it did for every collector before him.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike Paul For This Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 11:24:37 AM
Registered

mike, you speak the truth ive seen may 8n's sell for 1400 for a runner to -3000 for a nice one im 24 and like to collect\wrench on this old iron but as you said it hard im trying to save for a house down payment as well. do you have any advice for a young guy like myself thats looking to collect everything from maytags to model a's at a reasonable rate?
its true about some of the old timers i know a few that bought maytags for 5.00 and model A's for 200