Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag 72

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 2627 times

Old 04-07-2017, 08:16:37 AM
Registered

Default Re: Maytag 72

Long story short, the amishman had more than several coils for twins. Most of them dead. One NOS coil (no armature) was about half as long and was possibly marked WICO. Couldn't really see the I or the C, just W O.
The one that had continuity across the plug terminals had a slightly different armature. He told me I could try switching the coil over to my armature.
It occurs to me now (not the sharpest tack in the barrel ) that the way I was checking for spark when I first got this engine was exactly the wrong way to do it. If the coil wasn't dead already, coulda been me what did it in. Durr.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2017, 10:11:42 PM
Subscriber

Still, Wico and Eiseman coils are not interchangeable. Harold, had a senior moment ad didn't look at the heading.

Kevin
Old 04-08-2017, 08:53:38 PM
Registered

Ok, made a little progress today. Mounted her on a scrap piece of 2x6. Removed the used coil the amishman (Ern) gave me from the armature and put it on mine. Taped up the threadbare wire best I could. Put her together, no sparky.
Came back here reread this post and others, then took it back apart and started looking closer. Looked at continuity between everything and everything else. Guess what, the points needed a good filing. Thank you jwitt. Rookie mistake thinking contact cleaner and paper could do the job. She fired up on a little taste of ether. Got some 30wt, mixed a pint of gas, and then thouroughly flooded her.
Good times !
Old 04-09-2017, 08:38:52 PM
Registered

Ok, think I got it. Messed around all day on and off with mixed results. Sputters and putters starving and gushing. Finally grounded one plug wire to the head and she ran just fine on one cylinder. It took me the longest time to get that.
I filed a little clean spot on the top fin on each side and placed a dedicated paperclip on each head to remind me to not let the plug wire dangle. Not a regular paperclip, but one of those heavy duty ones. So now I'm thinking about trying a rare earth magnet in that gap between those two weakling magnets just for fun. (Emojis with hammer to head).
Best,
Old 04-10-2017, 09:04:46 AM
Registered

Well I stuffed five of those magnets in that gap, clear up to the level of the stock magnets. Looked really good. Made no difference whatsoever. Runs fine on either cylinder, but not both. Now that I know she's got no major issues other than the coil, I guess I have to go all in.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:15:05 AM
Registered

So I went to Ewebay to order a coil and I noticed on the comments one person had trouble with the fit. Anyone else have issues ? Have do make mods for this ?
I've read nothing but good things about them here, but then maybe people are shy about stepping on toes here ?
Still considering the Briggs option as well.
Thanks,
Old 04-11-2017, 11:56:25 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,837 Times in 3,798 Posts

Make sure you get a coil for the 72-D. The coils are different between the D and DA. Your engine dates to mid 1940
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 07:34:42 PM
Subscriber

StillSmokin according to zacks e/bay add his coil will fit the maytag Eiseman backing plate 72D or DA
the wico coil is different.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:24:39 PM
Registered

Well for now I don't have to do anything. I cheated. I gapped the plugs way down and she ran on two cylinders on and off all day. Probably four fifteen minute sessions. Maybe a quart of gas ? Put a load on placing my foot on the flywheel. What a great little engine.
Thanks guys !
Old 04-17-2017, 07:17:19 PM
Registered

Got a NOS Briggs coil in the mail today. Gonna try that route. It looks just like the one in Mark Bruto's pic in that long coil thread. The box it came in is pre-UPC.
Best,