Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag Oil Mix

this thread has 43 replies and has been viewed 53640 times

Old 09-11-2009, 09:45:38 PM
Registered-II

Default Maytag Oil Mix

Hi, what is the best amount of oil to add to one gallon of gas on a Maytag? It's been so long since I mixed the gas that I forgot the mix.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 10:13:15 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: maytag oil mix

The best thing I found is this syringe for mixing 2 cycle gas and you can mix a pint, a liter, a gallon and the mixes are marked on the side. I mix 16 to 1 for my Maytag with non detergent straight 30 oil. I found outboard motor oil or 2cycl oil doesn't work as well in the old engines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Neumann jr For This Post:
Old 09-11-2009, 10:18:24 PM
Registered-III

8 ounces of oil to one gallon of gas = 16:1 ratio.
The Following User Says Thank You to smgussey For This Post:
Old 09-12-2009, 12:29:35 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter neumann jr View Post
.i mix 16 to 1 for my maytag with non deturgant straight 30 oil.i found outboard motor oil or 2cycl oil doesnt work as wellin the old engines.
I do not use anything but outboard boat motor oil and have "never" had a problem. Been mixing for Maytags for 25 years with outboard boat motor lubes of various brands. What problems have you experienced?
Did you use a Premix two stroke oil by mistake? If so Premix oils are designed for modern 2 strokes that use needle bearings for crank and main bearings. They will cause havoc in the old engines like the Maytag which are referred to by the oil company engineers as babbitt bearing engines despite their not being any babbitt bearings per say. Any old two stroke engine with solid bronze bushings for bearings is classified as a babbitt bearing engine. This I learned 25 years ago from the engineers of (BP) British Petroleum, Sohio at the time. I also spoke with the oil engineers of Pennzoil later and got the same information from them. I have had more then the average bears fair share of Maytag engines in my life and have never had lubrication problems in my Maytags. In numerous cases when a fellow calls me with problems with their engine many times I can trace the problem to improper oils and lube mix ratios. There is a common misconception that the old 16 to 1 ratio is obsolete with the new modern lubricants. But nothing is further from the truth. Just today I had a fellow call with running problems with his engine. After the usual questions it was revealed he was mixing at a 32 to 1ratio using 30W detergent. After the other usual suspect problems were eliminated and the previous oil type and ratio revealed I convinced him to go get Out board 2 stroke and mix it 16 to 1 and two hours later I got a call back that all was well and the problems had disappeared. There is a chance that if he had mixed the 30W to 16 to 1 it would have been fine too. But this goes to show you have to stay with 16 to 1 for the best chances of success. Mark

Last edited by Mark Shulaw; 09-12-2009 at 04:57:31 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:26:58 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,597 Times in 3,649 Posts
Exclamation Re: maytag oil mix

The problem with outboard oil is that it is made for engines that are water cooled. It vaporizes and burns away at a much lower temperature than oil made for air cooled engines. Outboard oil will eventually gum up the rings, and cause scuffing on the cylinder wall, especially if you load the engine. typically, the Maytag single will reach about 400 degrees F, and the twins about 600, at the internal cylinder wall. outer wall and cooling fins, about 250-300 for the singles, and 300-350 for the twins. The maximum internal cylinder temp for a water cooled engine is in the area of 200, or less, depending on water flow! Use of detergent oils in a two stroke provides 2 problems: One, it will loosen any varnish or dirt in the crankcase, and will send it into the bearings and the piston walls, and two, when burnt, it leaves ash and combustion deposits that are erosive - it is like throwing a handful of sand into the engine! Also, marine oil is usually cut with mineral spirits. This thins the oil, and makes it break down and mix with the gas easier, so that it causes less water pollution. You need a heavy oil to seal and lubricate the soft bronze bearings the Maytag has
Andrew

By the way, 16:1 ratio equals 1 cup oil to 1 gallon fuel. Running a Maytag at 32:1 is asking for conrod and main bearing failure, due to lack of lubrication. It will probably cause piston scuffing in the twins, due to the throttle governed nature instead of the hit & miss of the singles. Also the twins use aluminum pistons, which expand more when heated. Last but not least, you probably will loose the crankshaft sealing effect of the oil, especially if you use the modern stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 09-16-2009, 08:33:32 AM
Registered-III

Keep in mind that ALL Maytags are not the same. More on that later. And neither are two cycle oils. Not on my watch has the brands of two cycle outboard lube ever gummed rings on any of my engines, especially if the engine is timed properly, more on that later. Been using two cycle outboard for 20 years or better on many engines. But I am rather strict on Using only BP Nitrex Land and Sea or Pennzoil Two stroke Outboard lube. I don't just grab any old two cycle oil. The fact that Marine two cycle oil burns away at lower temps is exactly why we want to use it, and for good reason. Otherwise you have increased instances of plug fouling and oil drooling out the exhaust pipe. Especially a Maytag being run as a demonstration at a show which are typically run without a load. The typical two cycle lubes of today for chain saws and weed eaters and the like are designed as you say for the air cooled engines of today which run at a much higher temp then does most of the Maytags. I can not prove it but I believe the running temps of a Maytag as you have quoted seem to me a bit on the high side. Unless the engines that were measured to get those temps were out of time. Which is typical of many Maytags today, especially the single cylinders. May I ask where you got those temp figures? Not criticizing just curious. Many single cylinder engines being run today are out of time so they are running hot. Another part of the difficulty we encounter today, 99% of the Maytags out there are being run without a load as its just a static runner. So the engine that are set up properly runs much cooler then it should unless they are out of time. So the oil recomendation has to be catered to the typical demands put to the engine "today". A typical Maytag properly set up and timed running without load will run so cool I can touch the cylinder for brief moments, so if they were achieving the temps quoted earlier I would get burned instantly. With a good Name Brand Outboard Two Cycle we can also use it for the engine under load. Do not use the pre mix outboard which is the type cut with mineral spirits or the like. My oil recomendation for today is a compromise. But the best compromise that I have been able to come on to after seeing the results of other oil uses over a 30 year span, and after at length discussions with the engineers of oil companies like BP and Pennzoil.
Mark PS: I may have commited a few errors in wording as I wrote this in just a few minutes as I am in a hurry to get to a show. So clarification may need to be made. Mark

Last edited by Mark Shulaw; 09-16-2009 at 10:33:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Shulaw For This Post:
Old 09-16-2009, 06:50:58 PM
Registered-III

all i know is i switched to 30 w non deturgantoil wal mart brand,not picking any company,because i read a thread on here about 2cycle vs 30 oil.i said whats the difference to.dont know unless you try,so i tried it wasnt goin to kill me.mix it 16\1.use this fancy suringe which allows me to mix a cup at a time.i noticed a big difference to the good as far as maytag goes so with older engines i will admit so far 30 oil is the way to go
Old 09-16-2009, 07:57:36 PM
Registered-III

Could we get a moderator to sticky this? Maytag oil discussion comes up several times a year and we could just keep it in one thread...

As I said in another thread:
I had my 92 at the county fair today. Not one single complaint about noise, smoke, or anything. Not one!

I ran it for 8 hours straight, about two hours with no muffler on it. It ran on 16:1 mix with the oil being 1/2 SAE 30 non-detergent and 1/2 modern 2-cycle premix oil. It smoked plenty... and I had no problems.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:08:53 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Maytag oil mix

I was just at a show in Brookville with my model 92 on a model 31 washer using two stroke oil at 16:1 and nearly had a dead engine. It was running fine, then when it warmed up it quit smoking a lot and started to get real hot so I shut it off. We ended up mixing a new batch with 30 weight and had no problems with it running almost all day. I don't know if I had the premix oil as stated earlier, which could cause problems or what, but from now on it's 30 weight non-detergent for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russell M For This Post:
Old 09-28-2009, 04:09:39 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Maytag oil mix

i have been using 30wt non-detergent ace hardware oil in my 72 twin.i have not had one problem yet.i just had my 72 at the west lampeter fair in PA and ran it every day.didnt smoke much and i didnt have a muffler the hole time.no one complaned at all. every time i would start it people would look at it right away.it was the only maytag there.all of the other moters at this fair were hitt and miss so this engine was very different from the others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Connor Hofford For This Post: