Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag Oil Mix

this thread has 43 replies and has been viewed 53645 times

Old 10-14-2009, 01:52:31 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,601 Times in 3,651 Posts
Exclamation Re: Maytag oil mix

Now days, especially with the crappy E-10 alcoholized gas, our engines need all the lube they can get. The SAE 30 has a heavier body than the premix lubes out there, and provides a better crank seal.

Mark, I used a thermal image camera to get the external temps. Temps will vary due to load as well. With a 92 type single loaded to the point of firing constantly, and the mixture leaned to the point where the engine didn't double stroke now and then, I actually got the cylinder temp up to over 550 degrees F! As the engine ran during this extreme condition, numerous bits of red hot carbon were expelled out the exhaust, the engine virtually stopped smoking, It was run loaded in this manner for about 15 minutes, without trouble. A piece of paper placed on the cylinder, burst into flame almost instantly! After the loaded running was completed, the engine was allowed to run as normal, in a hit & miss condition, in order to cool down, for about 5 minutes. The engine was then shut down and the spark plug removed for inspection. The insulater was clean and a very light tan, the black carbon deposits completely removed. A look inside the cylinder with a fiber optic bore scope, revealed a clean shiny cylinder with no scoring, and only a few spots of carbon at the head end of the cylinder. The transfer port was clear as well as was the exhaust port. The engine has excellent compression, and has not been rebuilt, to my knowledge.
Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 01:51:08 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Maytag oil mix

i just thought of something call me dumb if you want but i have expirenced it and ive heard this a few times. what time of year are you running these engines in? Because when it is cold out the oil will seperate from the fuel so maybe that is why 30w is better in certain climates and outboards are better in others just a thought let me know what you guys think
thanks
alex
Old 01-14-2010, 08:34:08 AM
Registered-III

I believe it has been discussed before that the oil will in fact separate from the fuel over time... and it has been recommended that you mix fresh fuel and oil each time you run the engine (if it is a long time between runs).

If it has been a while, I mix some fresh fuel/oil for mine and pour whatever was left in the tank in with it and shake it up some more. Since mine only sees occasional runs I have been using the Coleman fuel with good results.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:58:19 AM
Sponsor

It is now highly recommended by major 2 cycle manufacturers, that high grade fuel be used, and fuel be removed from the engine after 30 days. The crap E-10 fuel degrades rapidly in small containers, and the alcohol degrades plastic and rubber fuel system componants. The federal government is NOT monitering the amount of alcohol in supposed E-10, and as much as 27% alcohol has been found locally! Stihl now has a fuel test kit given to their warrenty shops. If fuel degradation is present, or more than 10% alky is found, Warrenty is void. It is then up to the customer to go after the station for selling 'watered down gas', which means the state DOT must test the fuel in the tank to see if it meets standards. If fuel is sub-standard, then the machine owner can sue the fuel dealer for damages. Lots of luck winning an amount to cover your loss!. Some manufacturers are marketing pre-mix fuel with a built in stabilizer. This stuff is OK for modern engines with hardened surfaces, but is not appropiate for soft bearing engines like Maytag, Fairmont, early Jacobsen, and any engine NOT using roller bearing cranks and mains, as well as chromed cylinders and rings. Also, any machine built before the mid 1980s will be susecptable to fuel system degradation due to the effect of alcohol on both rubber(neoprene), and plastic parts. Many engines using plastic fuel tanks are now facing problems with tank failure do to E-10. Ny son has just completed a Stihl factory work session, that specifically went over fuel system problems. This included destroying several engines, using mis mixed and old fuel in the saws. 30 day old fuel destroyed an engine after 4 tankfuls(about 50 minutes working time!) 45 day old fuel only lasted 3 tanks! One saw was run on straight high test gas - no oil. it ran for 5 tankfuls, and quit for lack of lubrication. After it cooled off, everyone was surprised when it again started and ran some more. proper mix fuel was put in the tank, and though it did not have the power of a new saw, it still performed well! It shows what engineering and modern materials will do. Degraded fuel turned corrosive, and degraded the neoprene seals and gaskets rapidly, as well as damaging piston surfaces and rings.

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew Mackey; 01-14-2010 at 11:09:39 AM. Reason: additional info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 01-14-2010, 01:02:16 PM
Registered-II

so what fuel should be used on old engines should i use led additive like you have to for some old tractors to not burn it up?
alex
Old 01-16-2010, 10:01:31 AM
Subscriber

When I got my little 72 twin running a couple years ago I mixed up a gallon of pump gas (87) and 8 oz. of ND 30 wt. oil and I was a happy guy at our display. It ran forever..........On the next batch I thought I'd be smart and use 2 stroke chain saw oil at 16 to 1. By the end of the day I was having problems with heat and I noticed moisture at the crank seals.

I have since gone back to 30 wt. ND oil at 16 to 1 and the engine runs cooler and no bubbling at the seals.....so that's where I'm staying

My three cents,

Bruce
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to midpw For This Post:
Old 06-21-2010, 05:54:42 AM
Sponsor

Lead additive not necessary for a Maytag. The Tetraethyl lead was an anti knock additive for 4 cycle engines, and the lead also lubricated the valve stems and heads. The 'leaded gas' was not used by the public until after WWII (military used it first). Gas today uses sulfur (source of 'acid rain').

Andrew
Old 06-22-2010, 12:22:34 AM
Subscriber

I use Non Detergent 30wt, old style oil for an old style engine.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:50:21 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
Now days, especially with the crappy E-10 alcoholized gas, our engines need all the lube they can get. The SAE 30 has a heavier body than the premix lubes out there, and provides a better crank seal.
Andrew,
As I said,,, I do not use or recommend the use of "PREMIX" two cycle oils. Its not good, do not brand all two cycles oils with a bad name since you had a bad experience when using the wrong two stroke oil. I use plain old two cycle outboard ashless boat motor oil. I am going to play with Mercury Quick Silver and test it since I found out Nitrex Land and Sea is no longer available. This was not known to me till recently as I had plenty of old stock to use till recently. My stock pile began to run out and I tried to get more. Mark
Old 07-08-2010, 10:57:58 PM
Sponsor

Exclamation Re: Maytag Oil Mix

The federal government has forced the oil manufacturers to alter additives for 2 stroke engine oils. That may be why your Nitrex oil is no longer available. The Fed is trying to totally phase out all 2 cycle engines by 2013. Most major manufacturers are fighting this requirement for chainsaws, as the high power low weight ratio is not yet available. Small low power 2 cycle engines are already being phased out for sealed crank bearinged 4 stroke engines. Honda, Huskverna and Echo already have these mini 4 strokes either on line already, or nearly ready to be released. The biggest issue now, is not the 4 stroke technology, its carburetion (air pollution concerns), and the effect of crap E-10 fuel on the fuel system - especially the fuel tanks! As an added note: the Fed is planning to make regular fuel contain 20% alky by 2012. Think you have problems now with crap E-10? Just wait until that garbage fuel comes out! As I stated earlier - the fed is NOT monitering the amount of crap alcohol going into the gas. My other son's shop has found up to 27% alcohol in chain saw fuel tanks, and that is supposed to be E-10. If the gas suppliers are allowed to sell E-20 (gas-a-hol) as 'regular', how much watering down may we then encounter 50% ???

Mark, let us know how you make out with the Quick Silver lubricant. I know it is used in modern roller/ball bearing marine engines @ ratios of 50 to 100:1. I have not seen it used in a 16:1 ratio oiled engine, with plain bearings. The Quick Silver Marine my son uses in his mercury outboard looks and smells like it is cut with mineral spirits. It is not an injector type oil. It is quite thin coming out of the can. The cans he has also do not list a ratio below 40:1 on the can.

Andrew