Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Trailer Theft Prevention

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 3122 times

Old 03-18-2017, 01:02:50 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Trailer Theft Prevention

For a small trailer with a straight tongue you can remove the tongue and replace it with a 2 in hitch receiver. Then make a tongue from sq tubing. When the trailer is parked, pull the pin, and remove the tongue and take it with you.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 07:22:41 PM
Subscriber

I have 12 or more trailers and have shop built probably 50 down through the years. We stamp a serial number on the tongue, left side and weld in large numbers on left side of tongue. I also weld these numbers on he inside of the frame between the axles. Better safe than sorry. I use 316 SS rod and to totally grind out the weld would require grinding really deep. I have had 2 trailers stolen and we recovered one because of these numbers.
My number system started in 1967 and starts with 6767____. The last 4 are year built and number fabricated in that year. Example built single axle landscape/engine trailer last year and it is 67671701. That way mostly I remember numbers. Texas does not have a trailer title law and we can apply for a shop built title. But they are not really traced like vehicles. Trailers registered farm use are treated differently from commercial trailers.

Years ago I bought a gooseneck dovetail equipment trailer at an auction and knew it was once a pintle hook trailer converted to a gooseneck, so no serial number. After I got it home, the auction company called me and picked it up and refunded my money--seems it was stolen and a sharp employee caught it on a stolen equipment list from Sherriff's office.
The Following User Says Thank You to bear67 For This Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 03:00:34 PM
Registered-I

http://www.easternmarine.com/5-posit...ssembly-b18135

Good idea. I like that.
I see that the same supplier offers that setup with ball hitches instead of pintles.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:42:39 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,782 Times in 3,766 Posts

When copper was up there, thieves cut a 14" hole thru a 2 foot thick brick wall to steal copper pipe and brass. Must have been a kid to get thru that hole. Whoever it was they couldn't carry 20 foot lengths of 3" pipe. They did try though, just left it on the floor Anything under 21/2" was gone, including all the fittings. The building was an old ammunition storage facility, dated back to the civil war.

As for trailers, you can't go far if the tire is missing.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:16:05 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,221 Times in 802 Posts

I have a trailer I am thinking about GPS protecting. This system looks pretty slick :

https://www.whrzt.com/

Click on the products and check out their implementation....

There are others, it does cost a subscription fee. A lot of manufacturers make a unit that recharges when the trailer is plugged in, even to the point of vamping some power off of the brake light wiring, and mostly small enough and discreet enough to hide on about any trailer.

The key is speed. Track the thing ASAP and get the cops on it, because it's probably being stripped for anything on it (engines, tools, gens, welders...) and being repainted, within 12-24 hours of it being stolen......
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post: