Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

I told you it was loaded too high but you wouldn‘t listen

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 4436 times

Old 01-30-2015, 02:27:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,258 Times in 4,201 Posts
Default I told you it was loaded too high but you wouldn‘t listen

Oh my goodnesssssssss........................:yike s:........

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6637..._van_2015.html
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2015, 06:01:38 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: I told you it was loaded to high but you wouldn‘t listen

LOL That's the best thing I seen all week !!! I love the comments of the passengers on the following bus too !!! Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Wilson For This Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 08:21:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,462 Times in 2,895 Posts

And I thought the loads of hay bales we stacked on the truck when I was a kid were tall!

Take care - Elden
http://www.eldensengines.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 11:20:33 PM
Registered-II

When I was in high school three of us picked up square and round bales for three years. One job we had we were using the guys pickup to hale the hay maybe two miles. Don't remember how many bales we put on the pickup. Anyway we pulled out of the field up a steep incline to get to the black top. I was riding on top of the load. It shifted and I tried to hold it all together but I gave up. So me and about half the load ended up on the highway. I didn't get hurt, I let go before we got up any speed going down the road. From then on I rode in the cab of the pickup.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Nowak For This Post:
Old 01-30-2015, 11:47:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,114 Times in 2,086 Posts

Let's look at that load in the usa.

State fine for overloading $2000
Over weight fine $2000
Failure to keep the commercial vehicle under control $1000
DOT miscellaneous because we can fine $3000
Driver fine $500
Loss of carrier licence for a year ~ $50,000 in lost revenue
Insurance rate increase $2000

edit:
Oh yeah, the operators of that truck are indeed as sharp as a marble.

As a segway, truck loading in some other countries is a stark contrast. In Saud, Jordan, Yemen let's say you have a dump truck and the loader guy puts dirt in it. 8 guys will get in the bed and shovel and smooth the dirt off perfectly and absolutely level with the sides of the box. The excess goes back in the loader bucket and he puts it back where he got it. This 'social event' might take an hour. Weight limits mean nothing, it's a pride thing. Funniest damn thing you ever saw.

On the other hand if it was a freight truck with a canvas cover over the bed, well then the objective is to load it as completely as you possibly can right up to the hooped top of the cover. I saw tandem trucks which over here would take ~30,000 loaded to what,,, 60,000? Tires squashed down and away they go somewhat resembling the tippy truck in the vid. And you know there ain't no way that thing will stop reasonably.

Couldn't take pictures of things like that as the cops would confiscate your camera.

Last edited by I like oldstuff; 01-31-2015 at 12:27:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 02-21-2015, 07:33:31 PM
Subscriber

When I was in Vietnam in '66 & '67 I was on the road a lot and saw the darnest things. Those Canadian built British army 4x4 1 1/2 ton Chevys were common as dirt though some had been converted to 4x2. Their were no trucks that we would call heavy trucks, lot of what we call mediums used like heavys. The very late model trucks were all Dodge or Mercedes. Saw a 'K' series International running without the side panels on the hood and it had a small block Chev with bright valve covers that said Corvette and a 4 barrel carb. Also witnessed major repairs on the road side. Dodge trucks seem to have rear axle problems under extreme operating conditions. Have seen them at the side of road having the rear end rebuilt. Also saw various older trucks with rear ends out of our 2 1/2 military under them, wonder how they got into the civilian economy. Heard stories that if a truck had to be abandoned overnight in the bush you could pick up the remains the next day in a 3/4 ton. We were able to recover all of our wrecks before night. I do know of another unit that had one that could not be recovered by night and an EOD team was sent in be chopper to destroy it with explosives.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:55:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,469 Times in 3,591 Posts

At least it went over slow enough that the guy riding on top was able to climb over the side as it rolled and stayed on top of the load.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:08:25 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,922 Times in 3,849 Posts
Talking Re: I told you it was loaded too high but you wouldn‘t listen

I had 4360 pounds of cast iron on my 1950 IHC L-120 many years ago. The jobsite was picking up all the iron scrap on site, and they loaded it onto a GMC 1/2 ton pick up. After about 1/2 a load, they broke the rear end (busted a tube out of the punkin) The foreman saw my truck, and asked if they could load it up. "Go ahead" I said. When I came back to my truck at the end of the day, I found thay they had loaded the entire job site load onto the old cornbinder. the load started with 3 8'sections of 18: diameter corporation iron pipe (3/4" thick cast steel), and then the guys telescoped in all the smaller diameters (12", 8", 6", 4", 2", extra heavy cast iron pipe. After the 18s were filled up, they piled all sorts of pipe on top and filled the larger diameters as they had the original 18" pipe. by the time they were done, pipe was piled as high as the top of the rear windows on the cab! When I asked the foreman why they piled it so high he replied "well the tires aren't flat and the axle ain't broke, so we piled it up!" The poor truck was loaded to the point where the axles were within a 1/2" of the frame! I was given an hour early leave from work to drive the load to a junk yard, in Morristown NJ, from Wanaque NJ. The trip took a bit longer than that. First problem was that the truck barely stopped, even with both feet on the brake pedal. The 31/2x12 front, and 3x12 rear brakes were good, but with that load, not very effective. hitting expansion joints or breaks in the pavement was loke hitting bricks - you felt every bump in the road. driving was an adventure - making turns was tricky. The sidewalls of the 750 - 16 split rim tires gave quite a sway when making turns! You had to anticipate a turn by a second or two in order to stay on the road. turn the 18" steering wheel and the truck would begin to turn a second or two later. driving straight was worse. At 30 MPH, the truck would go straight ahead fine, but if you tried to correct the direction of travel, watch out! The truck didn't roll with the drift, it just went sideways! When I finally got to the yard, the guy weighed the truck, and had me go and have the electromagnetic crane unload all the pipe. When I came back to the scale, he was looking all over his desk. I asked him what he was looking for, and he said "your weight slip". "right here - green international" I showed him. "Impossible" he says - "That truck couldn't carry that load!". The scale said 43 hundred sixty pounds load! Well here it is! At the time, iron was very cheap - about 2 and a half cents a pound. I went home with about $100 for the load. Next day I bought coffee for all the plumbers and fitters. The job super got mad that I bought the guys coffee, and said I would have to give him the money for the next load. When the job got the next clean up ready to go, the super reminded me that I had to give him the money for the scrap, I told him "only if I use the job truck. I'm not risking breaking my truck and having to give you the cash. They loaded the GMC with about 1/2 what they had loaded my IHC, and off the fitter apprentice went. About 20 minutes later, the foreman got a call - the GMC busted the new rear end, and both rear tires blew out, about a mile from the job. The kid had been going about 40 MPH around a turn when the tires blew out, and the jolt again busted a tube out of the rear end. The kid got a ticket for careless driving, and the company we worked for got a summons for overloading the truck. A tow truck could not lift the rear of the Jimmy (picked his front wheels off the road), so my foreman sent me and a few guys to off load the iron onto my truck. When I got back to the jobsite, the foreman told me to take off, and dispose of the iron - don't bring any money back to the job. That load was over 3500 pounds. Not bad for a 3/4 ton capacity truck! back then, a truck was a truck, not like the tin cans they sell nowdays!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:36:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,469 Times in 3,591 Posts
Photo Re: I told you it was loaded too high but you wouldn‘t listen

I can't even imagine the weight of THIS Load going on a 37 Ford.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37 ford with BIG log.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	225730  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 05-27-2015, 03:45:36 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,391 Times in 945 Posts
Default Re: I told you it was loaded too high but you wouldn‘t listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
I can't even imagine the weight of THIS Load going on a 37 Ford.
Could you imagine cutting that tree down with a axe, 2 man hand saw, while standing on the side of a mountain? Bob