Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > Portland Indiana
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Portland Indiana Shows Swaps Announcements Discussions for the World's largest gas engine and tractor show.

Portland Indiana

Portland 8/26/16

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3213 times

Old 08-26-2016, 07:52:36 PM
Registered

Default Portland 8/26/16

Huge event this year,noticeably larger than the previous four that I have attended. Unfortunately,the increase in spectator/attendee vehicular event traffic was horrible.

Tri-State has made the mistake of allowing UTV's in addition to the usual hoard of golf carts;the net result making countless problems for those on foot as well as those driving/riding.

Many years back event traffic was comprised of garden tractors,mini-bikes and 'home-built' vehicles;that was eventually deemed 'too dangerous' ,no doubt because of silly/stupid behaviour of the 'operators'.However,those vehicles were all physically smaller,much better suited for navigating the lanes.

The event staff that I spoke with were very concerned about the traffic volume;perhaps Tri-State will once again rewrite the rules/restrictions to eliminate the UTV's,and the aggravation they create. The presence of the golf carts is enough in itself.

After all,the majority of UTV drivers & and their passengers were very overweight and should been on their feet,not their a$$es......If there are medical reasons,then bring/rent a golf cart,not the unnecessarily larger UTV.........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Landser For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2016, 09:59:12 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Portland 8/26/16

I agree: This was my first time to Portland and probably my last. The only reason being that you were constantly trying to get out of the way of a cart. It would not be that bad if it were only golf carts- But! That and you get a little rain and all those carts, does not take long too turn it into mud. Other than that, facilitys were great, food was great, best flea market ever Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooby For This Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 08:17:20 AM
Subscriber

I was at the Portland golf cart and UTV Show yesterday. Saw some joker on a golf cart cut diagonally across the grass at the end of a row to get around a UTV that was following the rules about not traveling any faster than a fast walk. He almost hit the 82 year old I was with and clipped a Ford pedal tractor with his hind wheel in the market area. I think we spent as much time waiting to cross aisles without getting run over and walking around parked vehicles that didn't leave enough room to get around them without tripping over shelter stakes or merchandise as we did walking and seeing the show.
Seems to me like it could be fixed fairly easily. No handicap sticker. No golf cart or UTV.
I will go back next year but if it continues as it is now I won't be back until they find a better solution that is in place at the current time. It is a great show but could be a whole lot better without this problem. And the announcer could tell things about the show rather than talking about the golf cart rules.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Post:
Old 08-27-2016, 10:01:10 AM
Subscriber

I agree too many golf carts, ATV, and lawn mowers. I was there on friday and had several close calls. Most of the operators had no consideration for foot traffic. Hopefully the directors will get enough complaints and change the rules and enforce them. The only folks that should be allowed to used golf carts or other transportation are the directors or officals of the show and people with a handicap permit in there car or truck. I saw several tempers flare as well as my own I was an foot. The announcer did a fine job reminding people to be safe and considerate hopefully there won't be any accidents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Noyes For This Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 09:10:20 AM
Registered

I am sending a letter(not an easily 'lost' email) to the directorship,and encourage all others to take the time to do the same. If the directors are the least concerned about accidents and gate revenue,they'll eliminate(or greatly restrict) vehicular use. There is no reason not to do that......
It's a 'no brainer',however most committees are comprised of 'no brainers',so accomplishing the right thing is difficult.
Add to that the 'entitlement mentality' the majority of Americans have nowadays ;no doubt the UTV /golf cart element will whine loudly .....they should be walking, in an attempt to reduce that spare tire....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Landser For This Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 06:06:09 PM
Subscriber

Thank you Landser This is a wonderful show and I hope it will grow and continue be the best tractor and engine show in the world. I am hopeful the board of directors will address the concerns posted here so future generations can enjoy this educational assembly of machinery that built and fed the U.S.A.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:20:02 AM
Registered-I

My 1st trip to Portland show 2016 was a blast. Overwhelming amount of engines & flea-market goodies to check out.
We met some great friends and always had a place to relax under a pop-up tent to enjoy some great conversation.
We broke up the day to leave for a while to explore around then return for the evening sights & sounds.
Definitely will be returning back in 2017

The amount of electric & motorized carts, utv's, etc were a spectacle in itself. Out of control. Too many had taken advantage of the rentals.
The Following User Says Thank You to Target Driller For This Post:
Old 08-29-2016, 08:07:19 AM
Subscriber

if you think the vehicular traffic is bad in portland dont go to the Florida flywheelers engine show in February.so many golf carts atv etc you literally cant walk .the rows are full one after another. i think its a atv show not a engine show
Old 08-29-2016, 09:17:56 AM
Subscriber

Its most likely safe to say that golf carts, motorised carts, utv's, and garden tractors are a problem at any show. Some shows have courtesy cart rides, just to drop people off at a desired location. That is not part of the problem.
Regardless of the reasons to use a motorized cart, the carts etc. are to big for the environment of most showground working space.
What might work to eliminate the problem in part is to have mobility scooter rentals on site, supplied by scooter rental companies. At reduced rate if that be possible. Electric scooters can run for about 24 hours without recharge, and can be mobile on most surfaces other than mud. Because they are much smaller, run slower, they would compliment the environment of the show space.
Another thing I see needed, that might be of help to the need for mobility, is rest areas or stations that have seating and shaded areas throughout the show-grounds. Its just a few ideas that might help eliminate the need for carts etc, and I am sure other ideas could be implemented to ease the need for carts at shows.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShaneZahn For This Post:
Old 08-29-2016, 11:14:15 AM
Subscriber

Subject has been beat around quite a bit. I have no answers. I am still walking but see less each year that goes by, only saw about 1/3 of Portland this year. The UTVs are getting a bit gross in size in my lowly opinion. I saw a couple that would seat 6 and took the space of 3-4 golf carts. No way the driver could be aware of all 4 sides they might as well just allow pick up trucks to be driven through the show??? That being said blaming the vehicles for bad human behavior goes against my grain. I got bumped twice myself, one guy was totally apologetic and even offered to let me ride with him, other guy was like get out of our way idiot, we had a couple terse words,,, I have heard enough about the Flywheelers show and carts to stay away.
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselAddicted For This Post: