Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

What trailer(s) can haul a 1911 45hp CASE steam engine? What trailer is best?

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 2697 times

Old 04-06-2017, 07:34:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,388 Times in 828 Posts
Default Re: What trailer(s) can haul a 1911 45hp CASE steam engine? What trailer is best?

Who's talking about a 110 Case ? I think somebody has their threads mixed up.

The 45 Case is a little over 14,000 pounds dry. And I have found the factory weights pretty close on the smaller engines.

14,000 for the engine and about 6,000 for the trailer adds up to 20,000 in range or a 12 ton gooseneck. The trailer has it's own brakes and also the truck has it's own brakes.

It's pretty easy to tell some of them people that replied never had a CDL or hauled a steam engine.

Last edited by Ken Majeski; 04-06-2017 at 08:01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2017, 10:41:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,025 Times in 496 Posts
Default Re: What trailer(s) can haul a 1911 45hp CASE steam engine? What trailer is best?

We haul backhoes on a tandem duals gooseneck trailer with a 1ton truck. This 14k isn't any different weight wise.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:50:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,733 Times in 852 Posts

14K isn't something I'd be comfortable with being hauled on a pintle hitch trailer. The aforementioned 1-ton dually and gooseneck trailer would be just fine but hilly terrain might make me want a couple more wheels on the ground and a bit more weight for a pulling unit.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:12:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,473 Times in 1,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Majeski View Post

It's pretty easy to tell some of them people that replied never had a CDL or hauled a steam engine.
I don't know about the other posters, but I used to have a cdl and my own cabover rig, still have the bad knees to prove it. You are right on never having hauled a steam engine though.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:18:07 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,280 Times in 834 Posts

In any case he's really needing a 1 ton truck from the past 5-10 years at most. Older trucks just were not designed for it. I have a 1996 1 ton dually chevy with a 454, only rated for a 10k trailer! A new Toyota Tundra is good for 10,500 pounds.... His old truck would be a joke for anything more then local hauls. It would be cool to have it set up and take the tractor between properties or to the local show grounds-but to go interstate with it-kinda nuts. It would need to be completely gone through-engine, brakes, steering, all need to be up to like new condition. Like one poster said, in that time, it was normal to bang it into 1st gear and chug up a hill at a fast walk. Still a lot faster then a horse.

One option is to rent the equipment. There are places near me that will rent you a semi and trailer. Not sure what is involved tho, might be hard for a individual to get the paperwork together to make it happen....
Old 04-07-2017, 09:30:43 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,504 Times in 1,115 Posts

In answer to your question, yes the 5 ton GMC will be able to haul the load, it will be very slow though. I have a Ford brochure from the same year and the F-8 with a 145 HP engine has a gross combined vehicle weight of 37,000 pounds. Maximum grade in first gear at 37K is 22 percent, maximum grade in high gear and low range on the rear axle the max grade is 2 percent. The F-7 trucks are same HP and combination, single speed rear axle and GVW is 32,500, first gear grade is 16 percent, high gear is 1.6 percent.

Obviously you will need to make sure the engine is running correctly and the cooling system is perfect and the brakes are rebuilt and install new tires.
Any trailer that is long enough and has a pair of 10K axles will work. Does the truck have air brakes? If so then a 20K tag along trailer will work, if not then it will not be easy to make a trailer with electric brakes work with a truck with a 6 volt system although you could use a 12V battery with a small generator and battery charger to work the brake system.

If you are only going a few miles and don't mind not going over 25 MPH then the truck will be fine, if going a hundred miles then you should have a modern truck.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:04:54 PM
Registered

Thanks to everyone for all of the great replies. I appreciate everyone's input. For what it's worth, the steepest grade in my area is about 7%. But, there are many hills at that grade.

I never imagined that a mid 90s/late 90s dually could pull/stop that much weight. I knew they can pull a lot because I used to work for a carnival, and their duallys hauled all the game and concession wagons.

As far as the old 5 ton, how much would be involved to convert it to 12V? I'm picturing a battery, alternator, lights, and...what? I'm guessing that it already has a generator instead of a magneto, but I'm not sure. Honestly, I've never opened the hood.

I'm not sure air brakes even existed on trucks back then, (other​ than 18 wheelers) but I would prefer to upgrade the system to have air brakes, rather than restoring whatever hydraulic system it had originally.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:35:28 PM
Subscriber

If you want to convert it to air brakes, find a donor truck with trailer brake plumbing (an old tractor?). I did it with an IH Loadstar using an old Loadstar school bus as a donor, had to add the trailer plumbing myself, not hard, but a lot of work. You need to change both axles unless you find a donor with the same axles, unlikely with your current truck.
PT
Old 05-24-2017, 10:09:15 PM
Subscriber

pretty sure if that had air brakes,, you would have to redo them to current specs, can springs ,auto slack adjusters ect...

BEST BET go to a few shows and see what others are using , and of course only the ones doing it right .. and you can network with others on your plans to get the flywheel off.
JC
Old 05-25-2017, 12:02:09 AM

Thanked 12,802 Times in 3,878 Posts

Nate,

Interesting thread, I'm glad you are looking for information. Pictures of the engine and the Chevy would really make this discussion easier. I won't debate the viability of the Chevy because I don't know its condition and capabilities.

Here's my perspective as a steam engine owner, steam engine hauler, CDL holder (everything but haz & school bus,) farmer's daughter & wife, and more:

For small engines, I like Ken's set up with the Dodge & heavy trailer (skid loader). Make sure you have power to pull and above all: power to stop safely! Make sure you have DOT approved chains and have at least 6 on the engine-all 4 corners plus front & back. Keep in mind that some states may make you pull into the weigh station. Be prepared for an inspection.

This would be my partial list based on the engines we have hauled.
  • Wooden Deck--if steel, cover with belting that is attached to the trailer.
  • WINCH!!! Always use a winch when possible because you can control the load.
  • Saddle the engine. Using the winch pull the engine up on the blocks so it is about 1 inch off of the trailer, block the rear and let it settle into the blocks. This minimizes rocking. Keep in mind that the engine will settle down into the blocks and you'll need to check your chains.
  • Use at least 6 high tensile (DOT reg) chains-all 4 corners plus front & rear. If using snap or over the center binders, wire the handles.
  • Check your chains about a mile down the road and again especially if you have rough roads. You'll be surprised on how they loosen.
  • I prefer never to put the wheels up against the gooseneck or beaver tail. Some prefer it that way, but I'm not a fan.
  • I prefer to haul with water in the boiler as I was always taught it helps cushion the tubes. Other folks prefer hauling dry.
  • DOT check the trailer if it isn't yours. Use a creeper to run the underside looking for bad cross members, faulty wiring, brake lines, etc. Check the tires especially if you are hauling heavy or in heat.
  • Watch for tree limbs. They will take out a stack or a governor if you hit them just right.
  • Be prepared for gawkers. They are a hazard.
  • Make sure everything on the platform is secure from oil cans, coal, wood, tools, tool boxes, bunkers, tanks, pokers, etc. You'll be surprised what will fly.
  • Make sure the smokebox and firebox doors are securely closed.
  • Make sure the water tanks are empty and secure! DOT will stop you if you have spray (believe me...they thought I had a hot brake.) You can also crack castings.

Check out these threads in the Steam Forum:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...hlight=Hauling

Personally, I prefer our Kenworth with the folding gooseneck double drop lowboy as shown here with my 24 hp Port Huron and then my niece's 20-75 Nichols & Shepard. Both engines are overwidth as you can see by the flags.

The last is our tilt bed single drop lowboy with the 16 Reeves with water wagon and the Polaris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beth & Missys Nic heading out3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	282821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150628_144500592.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	282822  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beth V For This Post: