Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

What happened exactly to this tire?

this thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 2263 times

Old 09-16-2017, 08:52:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,191 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default What happened exactly to this tire?

I went today to pickup a 1997 Murray 18.5 hp garden tractor from a friend that bought it new. Paper work and all. starter went out and the carb needs cleaning. Good deal,happy to get it. Free.

Well before leaving home I checked the air in my trailer tires. I use this thing all the time,it seldom sits a week without being moved.
Tires looked fine, no weather checking,no cracks.
Coming home on the interstate,I see my trailer rise up off the road and then a thud and the fender is all bent up.
I stop, pull the tread out from around the axle. Tire not flat, spare 40 miles away. Dumb-ass me,but that problem will be taken care of.
Any way,I was 1/2 mile from a exit,tire not flat.
I roll on slow,all seems well enough. I keep a eye on it and drive home 40 miles on the inner layer of tire. It goes flat 30 minutes after I get home.
It is a 10 foot trailer with the 3500 pound axle 10 inches back from center of cargo area.So the weight is well balanced. This trailer with the cargo today might have weighed a ton? So the 14 inch Bridgestones had no clue they weren't on the back of a Toyoda.

I ask about this to help others learn from what happened as well as my self.
There was NO visible problems. Not low on air,had 36 pounds this morning.
No weather checking,no bulges,nothing. I have a class A cdl license and had to do pretrip inspections of my truck every day I was on the job. So i am not totally ignorant on what to look for. This was just a cruising down the interstate and Blam!
What could have happened? Could I have hit something?
Granted,I thanked the Lord for helping me get home without hurting anyone or owing a big repair bill. But at the same time,I want to know what the heck I missed so others can read and chuckle or read and learn so they won't have this happen.I have been towing trailers on the highway about 32 years and thankfully this is the first mishap of this type I have had. So apparently I have been very lucky or doing something right..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00005.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	291393   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00004.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	291394  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2017, 09:32:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,471 Times in 3,593 Posts
Default Re: What happened exactly to this tire?

Used to see that quite often on truck tire Re-Treads 35-40+ years ago, but I don't know if you can even buy them anymore. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking they banned them in the early 80s because of all the problems with them.

Only one I ever had come apart like that was a Radial tire on the back right side of my 79 Catalina on the way home from work one day in 2002 or 2003

It separated just like that and without the tread to hold it all in the inner portion grew about 4 inches taller. I was 20 miles from home, and while I Had a spare in the trunk I didn't feel like changing it there on a busy 4 lane so I headed for home at 40mph (with a detour to pick up my mail on the way) and changed it when I got home. It had worn through a couple layers of the cords, but still held air.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:48:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,133 Times in 964 Posts

We see it often enough, especially on trailer tires, tread separation. How old is the tire, what brand, is it a Chinese tire? Look at the sidewall, get the last digits of the dot#, this will be the Julian date of build, last numbers will only be on one side. To read it, last two numbers are the year, first two the week of mfg, 2113 would be the 21st week of 2013. Radial trailer tires should be changed after 5 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 09:58:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,120 Times in 2,089 Posts

Run low on pressure or overloaded. It built up heat and spit the tread producing the nice alligators we see on the highways.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:05:30 PM
Sponsor

I've had trailer tires throw a tread, but never with anything left to hold air.
There are 2 scenarios.....
1) Daytime: Billowing smoke behind me.
2) Nitetime: Lots'o sparks from the steel belts hitting the concrete road.
After much investigation, I found that age determines the life of a tire more than does tread.
A tire can look great....lots'o tread depth, no cracking. But if over 7 years, it won't carry a
full load at 60 MPH. So these days I replace tires after 5 years. Haven't had a problem since,
even with Chinese tires.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:04:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,264 Times in 827 Posts

Cheap chinese tire, old tire, or both. Keep in mind that they have found tires on the shelf many, many years old before being sold. Trailers get the worst of them because people think they don't matter...
Old 09-16-2017, 11:17:38 PM
Subscriber

I've seen name brand E rated tires do this. even while setting. I believe its an age issue. you got lucky you got home with it.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:19:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,191 Times in 1,496 Posts

Bridgestone is the brand. I will have see if I can find the numbers.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:13:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,773 Times in 1,481 Posts

I had this happen to a tire a few years ago. I took it to the tire dealer and chatted with one of the shop guys who's been there about 40 years. He asked if I had put the tires on the trailer, my answer was yes. He asked were they new or used and I told him used. He asked what they had come off of, I told him my pickup. He asked if I had ever overloaded the truck or run the tires low, I told him no. He asked if the tires were placed in the same rotation as before, what he meant was if a tire was on the drivers side of the truck was it placed on that side of the trailer. I told him I had no idea. He said that was probably my problem. If a tire is placed so that its rotating in a different direction than it was during its placement from new, it could break a belt or suffer tread separation. Since he told me that I've always marked my tires (even taken a soldering iron and made a small arrow on the rubber at the base of the tread above the tire name) to ensure they roll in the same direction their entire life usage. I haven't had a problem since but I can't swear the situation he described is the total answer.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:24:51 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,133 Times in 964 Posts

Tommy, when radials first became popular, mfgs advised to keep tires in the same rotation for maximum mileage. Radials set up a wear pattern and when reversed this pattern is erased and starts again, causing a slight decrease in tire life. The American tires were falling apart due to poor quality, it got blamed on reversing rotation, It's now considered to be OK to reverse rotation and even recommended by mfgs to correct cupping wear patterns.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post: