Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Advertising on this site

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 2956 times

Old 03-17-2002, 10:31:26 PM
Administrator

Thanked 12,222 Times in 2,110 Posts
Default Advertising on this site

I have to tell you that it shouldn't take rocket science to know what makes this web site run. I just deleted the banner ad for Walmart - NO CLICKS - after over 27,000 exposures - nada! I may as well do the same for the ABE books banner even though that's the source for many of the fine old engine books in my library. ZERO clicks - nada!

Everyone must be hell bent for election getting right to the gravy of the messages. Fortunately, the other ads that do sell engines and engine parts are getting lots of clicks and the sellers are renewing their ads.

Stop and take time to smell the coffee. Visit the business card page once in a while. Support your sponsors who are paying for your funtime here.

-- A word from your sponsor.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2002, 11:37:06 PM
Bill Klein (Pa.)

Default Re: Advertising on this site

Most of your advertisers are A OK Harry but as for WallyWorld I feel they are responsible for the demise of many of the good old hardware stores across this country. They may be fine for yuppies & apartment dwellers but they have little to offer our hobby. Apparently others feel the same given their "no hits" record on this site. Thanks for a GREAT site. And "thank you" to the worthwhile sponsors. Bill Klein
Old 03-18-2002, 12:05:36 AM
Joe Prindle

Harry, Yer counter don't work because have clicked on the Abe link. I didn't buy from them because the prices on anything that I wanted were a bit steep, a big bit actually. I usually can find the books I want for a lot less on eBay or from other colectors. I do look at the Abe inventory, and will continue to do so, but I am clicking, just not buying. Joe
Old 03-18-2002, 12:21:39 AM
Administrator

Hmmm. You've got a point there. We've traveled many small towns looking for antique shops and usually find them where the mom & pop hardware moved out.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:27:44 AM
Bob

I have also looked at the book banner ad, but have not found the book that I am looking for, must be too rare! I will keep looking.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:38:33 AM
Administrator

Open mouth, insert foot, shoot other big toe off with .45.

Apparently, I've learned something about my ad system - it doesn't count clicks the way I had set up those two ads.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:38:44 AM
Franz

Harry, just make damn sure you shoot off the big toe that ain't in your mouth. I know damn well I clicked Wally World once just to see what kind of crap they were tryin to push here.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:19:56 AM
Norm S

Although off topic, thought I would insert this here since the thread has little to do with engines anyway. I shop at Wal-Mart all the time. Gee, I guess there must be something wrong with me cause I want to spend less money. I spend about 20-30% less than most other places for things like cereal, milk, other food, clothes, etc. etc. etc. Contrary to what most Wal-Mart detractors say, they did not drive out the corner hardware store - I still regularly go to ACE for things that Wal-Mart has no intention of carrying. But if you're talking about a quart of BBQ lighter fluid and ACE is $2.50 and Wal-Mart is $1.89, guess where I'll get it. And if we're talking about the corner grocer, if a box of cereal at Wal-Mart is $1.99 and at the other stores in the area $3.29, no brainer. Thats just good 'ol capitalism friend. Somebody does it cheaper and the others have to match it or lose out. Has happened for a couple hundred years here - and if you hate Wal-Mart, what about Sears? They took lots of business away from the corner stores back when they had catalog sales early in this century - nobody hated them because they made products available at affordable prices. Now, Wal-Mart is not paying me to say any of this, I just like a place where the people are friendly and more helpful than I've seen in years and the prices are lower than most any other place. Go ahead and yell at me now for being part of the crowd that has "driven out the corner guy" - but you better be yelling at the people that go to Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, NAPA (they drove out the corner Auto Parts store), McDonalds, Wendys, Red Lobster, Outback and all the other chains for driving out the local resturants, ete. etc. etc. - thats just life these days folks.

Norm
Old 03-18-2002, 12:42:51 PM
Ben Laughlin

We are getting a Super Walmart here in tiny Watkins Glen, NY. Not sure about the many small businesses.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:59:52 PM
Administrator

By the way, Watkins Glen is my old home stomping grounds.

I went to school there - class of '59.

-- Harry