Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu, and clones.

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Isuszu Generators

xfer switch with eb6500

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 4312 times

Old 07-23-2013, 08:21:23 PM
Registered-I

Default xfer switch with eb6500

..so I'm finally getting around to wiring up my x-fer switch with my EB6500X. One question I have, is , Am I going to have a problem with the GFCI tripping? I have read the Honda's are picky. I have a reliance 3006 HDK switch and I plan on removing the neutral bond jumper in the Gen if I need too...What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 10:41:55 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: xfer switch with eb6500

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerking View Post
..so I'm finally getting around to wiring up my x-fer switch with my EB6500X. One question I have, is , Am I going to have a problem with the GFCI tripping? I have read the Honda's are picky. I have a reliance 3006 HDK switch and I plan on removing the neutral bond jumper in the Gen if I need too...What do you all think?
Yes, that's standard procedure (removing the neutral bond link) when connecting a Honda EB-series generator to a transfer switch. If you'll get me the serial number off the frame of your EB6500, I can post a page or two from the shop manual to show you how it is done.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to robertathonda For This Post:
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47:13 PM
Registered-III

Powerking-

You asked about GFCI tripping. Robert can verify, but I do not think the 240 VAC outlet has GFCI. I would expect that only the generator's 120 VAC outlets have it.

Fred
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred M. For This Post:
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45:10 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred M. View Post
Powerking-

You asked about GFCI tripping. Robert can verify, but I do not think the 240 VAC outlet has GFCI. I would expect that only the generator's 120 VAC outlets have it.

Fred
All EB6500X and EB6500SX models are full GFCI across all outlets. Older EB6500 models were partial GFCI, with only the 120V duplex receptacle protected.

That said, I know all EB-series models have a voltage selector switch that has two positions: 120/240 and 120 only. When set to 120 only, the twin windings are connected in parallel to drive the full power output at 120V. When set to 120/240, the windings are connected in series to create a 120 and 240 circuit. From what I can see in the diagrams, the G.F.C.I. protection circuit on newer EB models is indeed active no matter what the position of the voltage selector switch...we have a new generator engineer here in the office, so let me chat with him and confirm. Standby.

-Robert@Honda
Old 07-24-2013, 09:35:44 PM
Registered-I

The ser # is EALC 1014736......Odd thing is, I have my one main 100 amp panel and the neutral and ground have the own seperate bars in the panel.......I'm used to seeing the neutral and ground bars bonded in the main panel....Is this odd? Also Robert,I am correct with leaving the switch in the 120/240 setting when using the xfer switch
Regards
Rich
Old 07-25-2013, 09:00:13 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
The ser # is EALC 1014736......Odd thing is, I have my one main 100 amp panel and the neutral and ground have the own seperate bars in the panel.......I'm used to seeing the neutral and ground bars bonded in the main panel....Is this odd? Also Robert,I am correct with leaving the switch in the 120/240 setting when using the xfer switch
Regards
Rich
That s/n is indeed an EB6500X, which has full G.F.C.I. protection across all receptacles. You'll see the master G.F.C.I. test/reset switch on the control panel.

Yes, nearly all residential homes in the USA are neutral bonded to ground. You may wish to have a licensed electrician make an full inspection to ensure its all safe and within code requirements.

Yes, leave the voltage selector switch in the 120/240 position; this provides the correct voltage and maximum power to the transfer switch.

Again, be sure to remove the neutral bond jumper when connecting an EB-series unit to a transfer switch to avoid problems. (1) Shut off generator, disconnect spark plug cap. (2) Remove end cap cover from genset end. (3) Remove nut and screw holding white neutral bond link wire and remove entire white jumper wire. Install nut and screw back. (4) Replace end cap cover, mark the control panel with a Sharpie, "Neutral Bond Removed"

-Robert@Honda
Old 07-25-2013, 09:53:19 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

many times there are separate bars and the neutral bar will be mounted on an insulator so the panel can be used as a sub panel if desired. But there is usually a bonding screw supplied with the panel that is screwed through the insulator and bonds the neutral bar to the box (and ground) if it is needed. Get an ohm meter and check to see if the neutral is bonded to ground/box.

Could also be bonded at a main disconnect if that is separate from your main breaker panel, then your panel would need the neutral bar isolated.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:52:14 PM
Registered-I

...So after reading the responses last night, I went to look at my panel once again....Come to find out that the bar on the left side of the panel (grounds) IS bonded to the neutral bar! Its very hard to see with all the wires in there, but it surely is bonded! Thanks to the group here for helping out!
Rich
Old 07-27-2013, 02:55:43 PM
Registered-I

So I spent Saturday morning installing the xfer switch and I must say, It went quite easy! removed the bonding jumper in the end, and fired the Honda up, let it warm up, then loaded her up good. she didn't skip a beat...according to the meters, I was only pulling about 3k...not to bad!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:23:21 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
So I spent Saturday morning installing the xfer switch and I must say, It went quite easy! removed the bonding jumper in the end, and fired the Honda up, let it warm up, then loaded her up good. she didn't skip a beat...according to the meters, I was only pulling about 3k...not to bad!
Congrats on you new setup. Life will be much easer now to get the generator up and running. I put a interlock in and a Generator inlet box outside my house a few years ago. My wife and friends wanted to know why I was spending my Saturday and money to do this. Than came Oct 29 and super storm sandy.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexV For This Post:
Old 08-10-2013, 02:58:38 PM
Subscriber

Good to hear the great news Powerking! if you ever have trouble with the setup just shoot me a msg and i'll stop by and have a beer with ya too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bassplayer1985 For This Post: