Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

palmer ALTERNATOR/generator

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 3680 times

Old 10-24-2000, 01:50:16 AM
mo

Default palmer ALTERNATOR/generator

hello generator collectors,i just came upon your site and its great.i didnt know there was a concentration of collectors on the internet. i have a palmer generator that i would like to find the year made for and if their are still parts available.ihave gone to the adress on the tag but their long gone from that location.anyway,the tag reads palmer self regulating alternator,patent no. 2,117,991,volt 120-220,amp 40,rpm 1200,phase 3, cycles 60,serial d34663,palmer electric mfg. co. 6629 bear ave.(bell)los angeles calif. on the rear of the generator is another part? my dadthinks its an exiter or commutator(dont know) its tag reads model s,serial 31209.the unit is powered by a case model SE,serial#8040499 engine which is 4 cyl.,gasoline,electric and hand start, w/auto-lite starter,CASE magneto#32634. if anybody can help me w/ this in any way (w/patent#s,mod.,ser.#s etc.)i would greatly appreciate it.also if anybody has one or knows of any or ever has id like to know.i forget to mention up top it is 15 KVA or 15,000 watts.thank you all very much in advance and have a good night.this is a great website!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2000, 01:44:01 AM
Pat S

Default Re: palmer ALTERNATOR/generator

Palmer made a lot of gens. most of the ones I have seen and worked on were military models. The thing on the back is the exciter. Some models drove directly of the back some were mounted on top and were belt driven. You said it is self regulating. Does it have a regulator box with a lot of elect. parts or just one big reostat to control the voltage? What parts do you need? If the driver runs it sould be easy to make juice.
Old 10-29-2000, 08:19:24 PM
mo

Default Re: palmer ALTERNATOR/generator

thanks for responding PAT S.,there is no box of electrical parts on it nor is there a rheostat,the data tag says it's a PALMER SELF REGULATING ALTERNATOR.the only box on it is the box with the plug receptacles they are all "twistlock" style of various amps and volts.it is directly driven by the CASE engine (no belts)for the alternator.after running it several times it now makes electricity good.in fact i just got an old air compressor that we tried to run on house current and blew the breaker every time it got up to a certain amount of pressure,but we tried it on the PALMER and the compressor works beautifully.

and lastly i dont need parts right now but for the time i do i was wondering if someone knew if they moved to a new location or went out of business entirely.

you mentioned that you worked on them,could you tell me what years you did and where the company was located and who you got your parts from?

also what work did you do on them,i mean what is the main problems to watch out for or be extra careful with on mine

thanks again for your help.