Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

lausonsmallengines.org

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 579 times

Old 05-14-2018, 05:24:57 PM
Subscriber

Default lausonsmallengines.org

By now, some of you have probably noticed that my web site (http://lausonsmallengines.org) is down. I know itís been down since Thursday, but I donít check it every day. If it were my problem to fix, it would have been fixed by now. Unfortunately, Iím at the mercy of my web services provider.
Itís not looking as though this may get fixed for a while, if ever; so I may need to do what I did two years ago; abandon my domain name (lausonsmallengines.org) and use another domain name and web service provider.
If it comes to that, I thought Iíd let you give me some input as to what new domain name I might use that you (who use the site) could remember. Lausonsmallengines.com was hijacked by an old domain name provider several years ago who wanted big $$$ to renew my contract (like $100 per month) to host my site. That wasnít gonna happen. Looks like a similar problem with the current name. So how about:

vintagelausonsmallengines.org
vintagelansonsmallengines.com
thoughts ???
Iíd really like to keep the ďsmallenginesĒ part because my site does not cover the hit-and-miss era Lausons.

If I have to jump- any thoughts?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2018, 05:29:53 PM
Administrator

Thanked 11,827 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default Re: lausonsmallengines.org

It appears that YOU own the domain name until 04/06/2019! Your server provider is down.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:05:24 PM
Subscriber

It's a DNS problem Harry. The DNS name doesn't resolve. The web server appears to be running fine. This is a cPannel site at JustHost.com. Back in my working days, my group managed hundreds of cPannel sites for the university. I had one guy and a backup who did it all. This isn't rocket science. As you know, the setup for this DNS stuff is trivial so there must be something else going on.

The web site was recently acquired by JustHost.com (used to be eHost.com). I'm betting the the Domain Name registry service has changed, and the old site doesn't want to "play nice" with JustHost. This is probably a contract dispute where $$$ are involved and until the muck-it-e-mucks work it out I'll be down.

I can't be alone in this. Imagine if I were trying to conduct a business.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:16:11 PM
Administrator

Thanked 11,827 Times in 2,051 Posts

I do cPanel on a dedicated server, 1TB of bandwidth, solid state RAID drives, dual Xeons, etc. I only get into cpanel as deep as I need to. The server has full time tech support.

It's as though they dumped your DNS record.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:20:23 AM
Subscriber

My website is operational again. I checked yesterday morning and it was still down, again last night and it was up, and again this morning and it’s still up; so I’ll assume it is fixed. It was down for a week.

I hope it remains available for those of you that use it from time to time and I hope you find it available when you want to refer to it. I only maintain it as a convenience for those interested in Lauson Small Engines.

If you’ll allow an old man a few words…

I’m retired now; but my career for 45 years was in Information Systems. My life time goal was attained in the late 1980’s when I assumed the position of senior systems programmer and technical support leader at a company with a large mainframe. For years my staff and I supported an IBM mainframe, running all the business needs of one of the largest Universities here North Carolina.

Up time was considered critical by my management, and I tracked it closely, reporting it in a monthly periodical our department published to the University at large. That up time was comprised of several factors:

IBM’s responsibility was management and maintenance of the hardware,

My unit’s responsibility was the installation, upgrade, management, and maintenance of the MVS Operating System, and numerous as sundry program products, such as JES2 which managed the workload, VTAM and TCP/IP for the networks, DFHSM for the datasets, TSO, CICS, Intercom, Roscoe, and IDMS for the interactive applications.

The network group managed the University broadband and later, the Ethernet that carried the network across campus.

All these components were critical, failure of any resulted in downtime. In those days, the industry standard for minimum acceptable up time was 99.98% and I’m proud to state that our monthly up time almost always exceeded that standard.

Toward the end of the century and into this century we moved toward distributed computing and tracking up time became less important because everything wasn’t running in one place where any failure took everything down. Also, the hardware and systems got better.

As Harry stated up thread, the hardware now is completely different. Where on the mainframe we had single disks storing data, now there are disk arrays. Data in a disk array is spread across all the disks in such a way that if an individual disk fails, no data is lost. A technician merely removes the failed disk and replaces it with a new one. The array will populate the new disk with data, thus rebuilding the redundancy. All this happens while the array is serving data and the users are completely oblivious to the failure.

Likewise, servers (computers) are clustered in arrays of “virtual machines” where the running workload is shared and moved at will as required. A single processor in the array can fail and the workload will be assumed by the remaining processors so seamlessly that often the customer will never know.

All this brings me back to my website. In the modern computing age it is incognizable that any computer system would suffer an unscheduled outage for a day, let alone a week. Even under the old mainframe standards this outage my web site experienced would result is a monthly up time of 75%. Had I had an up time this low, and were it were because of a failure of my unit, I would have been fired. If my website doesn’t suffer another failure for a year, the up time will still be 51 out of 52 weeks or 97.07%, STILL grossly under that old minimum acceptable rate of 99.98%.

You can bet I’ll be moving my business when this contract renewal comes due.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Last edited by Craig DeShong; 05-17-2018 at 10:27:02 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Craig DeShong For This Post: