Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

A Real Briggs Model 5?

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 1272 times

Old 05-21-2018, 09:21:09 PM
Registered

Default Re: A Real Briggs Model 5?

It does have an air-vane governor, and for the fun of it I did stick a rod down the spark-plug hole and measured the stroke at 1.5", even though as Junkologist suggested that the N has a tall block with more fins than this engine.

I went back to the junk-pile this morning where I found the engine and sorted through looking for the ID plate but did not have any luck. I did find two Briggs mufflers though, the fat type that are on my 5s lawnmower, and I found a spark-plug that looked like it might have been off the engine, so it was not a complete waste of time.

It is neat that is is a Model 5, but it is tragic that ID plate is gone. The only thing that lets anyone know that the engine is not a replica someone threw together is the old green paint that someone put on the engine long ago over all the parts. So I would not restore this engine, I would get it running, but I would not repaint it or clean it up at all as it's old paint and dirt are the only thing that shows it's parts have been together for decades.

It seems to have little compression so I will at least have to take the head off and see how the valves and seats look, and then maybe I will see that special exhaust valve that is supposed to be in there.

A neat engine but I could not imagine why anyone would want one bad enough to try and build a replica or a fake one, there is not much special about it, pretty much just a parts-bin special that Briggs put together, and I guess if they never did nobody would have noticed because there was no demand for a heavy-duty version of the 5s anyway going by the sales numbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benjamin Gradler For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2018, 12:58:13 AM
Registered-II

What is special about the exhaust valve ?
The Following User Says Thank You to EvilDr235 For This Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 07:04:45 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDr235 View Post
What is special about the exhaust valve ?
It is supposed to be a more durable stellite exhaust valve.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benjamin Gradler For This Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 08:58:17 PM
Registered-II

What a worthwhile topic! I learned a lot here, when I saw the pictures and read the initial text I thought it was a model 6 or N because of the 5/8" shaft. All of the 5's I have seen or owned were either 5S's or WI's and had 1/2" shafts with a flat instead of a keyway. Does this engine have a keyway? I did not see one in the photos. This is an extremely interesting little engine. It's great that you found it and will take care of it.

Before taking the head off I would at the very least give the cylinder a squirt of oil through the spark plug hole. For whatever reason, it's common for Briggs to lose compression when they have been sitting for thousands of years. I've bought any number of them that had little if any compression but once I got them started the compression was fine. Don't ask me why this is, or has been for me anyway, a mostly Briggs phenomena. Engines are, for the sake of that discussion, pretty much identical inside. Yet it's the Briggs where I have seen this. If you ar concerned about the valves remove the tappet cover and check the clearance. That should tell you almost as much as removing the head, and the head gasket is not interfered with.

You are right, it makes little if any sense that Briggs built such a variety of engines. The fact that this is such an odd duck makes it more desirable though. And Briggs was not alone in this odd behavior, they all did it. Think about this for a minute, the model 5 has pretty much exactly the same number of parts as the model 6, N, and 8. All that differs is the bore and stroke (and the options, such as governor, tank, carburetor etc.). I'd bet that the biggest cost associated with making different sizes of engines is design and part number proliferation. If I had been running Briggs back then I would have dumped every small format engine except the model 8 and I would have used the savings to keep the price low (or profits high). I would have trimmed the lineup to the 8, the 9, the 19 and the 23. Anything you can do with a model 5, WI, 6 or N you can do better with a model 8. Anything you can do with a model 14 (and I actually really like the 14's) you can do better with a 19. But that was far in the past.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 09:12:26 PM
Subscriber

Looking at your pics and the description of the engine, it is definitely the RARE model 5!!! Repro tags can be fabricated. Funny how recently there have been a few model 5 engines pop up. I picked up one last August and am in the process of trying to finish the restoration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Schaech For This Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 09:23:16 PM
Registered-I

Spin the flywheel backwards toward compression and if it springs back fairly abruptly then the compression is probably satisfactory to operate...so says B&S maintenance manual.
The Following User Says Thank You to radiodoc For This Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 11:12:46 PM
Registered-II

I have several early Brigg's engine that have not seen the light of day in several years. Like Howard Carter, Who knows what wonderful things I may find.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:11:00 PM
Registered

If you crunch the numbers and divide the number of Model 5s made into the number of Model 5S engines made, it comes out that it is 378 times more likely that the five-fin, cast-iron Briggs you have found will be a 5S than a Model-5. Not really good odds of finding one, but much better than playing the lottery.

I have not seen that many 5S engines in person, just the on my one old reel-mower and a couple of others here and there in my travels, so not having to look at hundreds of engines to find one makes this find against the odds for sure.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:54:32 PM
Registered-II

I wonder what it used for a air cleaner ?
The Following User Says Thank You to EvilDr235 For This Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 07:32:50 PM
Registered-I

This is a pic of the air cleaner on a B&S 5 engine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B&S Model 5 Carb.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	311163  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radiodoc For This Post: